John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
1985 Toyota CelicaSupra, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
How did you get your power cable thru the firewall?
I ran it underneath the vehicle. I'm going to get a lot of crap about it, but it doesn't rattle at all. Working on the vid.

I ran 2 0 AWG ground cable from the front to the rear. Some may say this is pointless, but its your build and you build it like how you want it. You can also ground your cable anywhere in the rear. Just make sure you find a solid piece of the chassis and not mount it where the pieces are tac welded together.
Suggestions:
1. Start at 2:54, just make sure you seal the surface underneath the car when you bold your ground.

2. Start at 28:06, again remember to seal the underbody once the installation is done.

Then I ran 1 0 AWG power cable from the front to the rear. They all come up from the rear passenger seat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
joh17

joh17

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Deadgame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
Purpose: The stock sound system was "OK" but I wanted something that shook the windows a little.

$2000 budget sound system upgrade. I had some of the materials already so it was easier for the wallet. This thread will be updated gradually when the videos have been edited.

I will be leaving the radio stock and upgrading everything else in the car. Most of the items used will be listed below. If you guys think I should link give links to the items let me know.

Most items just arrived during Christmas 2019:

BIG 3 Upgrade: Why?! If you look at your negative Battery terminal you'll notice all your electrical components are dependent on 1 single 4 AWG wire. This is really bad when running aftermarket devices that demands and strains the electrical charging system.

Big 3 Upgrade Part 1 (prep):

Big 3 Upgrade Part2 (Install):

Power cables:

Amp rack:

You decide where you want your amp(s) to be installed. This is just where I decided I wanted to place my amp(s).
I would recommend deciding where you want your amps before installing any wires so you know exactly how long your need them to be. Some wires may be too short and some may be too long. You could make your cables extra long, however, now you need to bundle and hide them somewhere.

Front Speaker + Tweeter + Wires:

Rear Speaker + Tweeter + Wires:

DIY Radio Harness + Speaker signal wire:

Tuning:

ITEMS
:
Radio: OEM (Thinking of installing the Android radio)
DIY Radio Harness: Metra part# 70-1731 and a 71-1731
Signal wire
: Sky High Car Audio 9 Wire OFC 18 AWG 9 Wire Cable (needed since the OEM radio didn't have RCA output)
Line driver: Audio Control LC7i, ARC (
RCA: (3) Sky High Car Audio 3 ft (needed 1.5 ft or shorter for my build)
4 Channel amp: Rockford Fosgate T400-4
Mono amp: Rockford Fosgate T1500-1
Speaker bracket: 6.5 speaker bracket for Hondas (If you live in a humid moist location use something weatherproof such as plastic, If using wood "SEAL" the wood thoroughly to protect it from absorbing moisture)
Front speakers: CT Sounds Meso 2-way component
Rear speakers: CT Sounds Meso 3-way component
Subwoofer: (1) Sundown SA-12 D2
Main power wires: 1/0 AWG Sky High Car Audio (SHCA) oxygen free copper (OFC)
Amp power wires: 4 AWG Sky High Car Audio (SHCA) oxygen free copper (OFC)
Other wires: 8 AWG SHCA OFC, 14 AWG OFC
Remote wire: 16 AWG SHCA OFC
Speaker wires: 14 AWG Sky High Car Audio OFC
Fuse: SMD ceramic ANL type fuse -- (front) 300A, (rear) 200A, (rear) 100A
Positive terminals: (front) SMD Double ANL Fuse Block, (rear) SMD Quad XL ANL Fuse Block
Negative terminal: (front) Copper Sky High Car Audio Flat 6 Spot Battery Terminals, (rear) SMD Single Power/ Ground distribution block (Half Block), Negative battery T-bolt (I bent mine)
Ring terminals: Sky High Car Audio Copper Ring Terminals w/ Heat Shrink Tubing -- 3/8" hole for 8 AWG, 4 AWG, 1/0 AWG
Sound deadener: Second Skin Audio mats, (4) 6.5 speaker baffle
Calibration tools: SMD DD-1, SMD CC-1

Maybe I missed it, but why didn't you just cut the speaker wiring coming out of the stock amp, send it to your audio control/amps and then back to where you cut. Attaching the wiring there would save you the trouble of having to run speaker wires to/through the doors.

OP
OP
joh17

joh17

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Maybe I missed it, but why didn't you just cut the speaker wiring coming out of the stock amp, send it to your audio control/amps and then back to where you cut. Attaching the wiring there would save you the trouble of having to run speaker wires to/through the doors.
I didn't want to cut any oem wires.

Using the original wires going to the speakers is a bad option. They are too small for my liking.

You have a good idea as well.

grimm01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model T
Country flag
Hey thanks for the step by step vids. I noticed you tuned your sub at 80Hz and your components at 125Hz. So what happens to the frequencies between 80-125 Hz? Aren’t those getting cut off?

OP
OP
joh17

joh17

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hey thanks for the step by step vids. I noticed you tuned your sub at 80Hz and your components at 125Hz. So what happens to the frequencies between 80-125 Hz? Aren’t those getting cut off?
Good point. To be honest, you can't really tell whats missing. If you never saw me do my setup and you sat in my car you'd never known which frequencies were missing.

Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T sedan, '12 LX sedan
Country flag
Good point. To be honest, you can't really tell whats missing. If you never saw me do my setup and you sat in my car you'd never known which frequencies were missing.
if you like how it sounds, then there is no "wrong" way to do it.

aerodynamics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PWP 2020 Hatchback Sport Manual
Country flag
Love the videos. I wish something like this existed when I did the audio for my other cars.

Do you have a link or pic of the trim you're using for the 3-ways?

car3nX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Just wanted to say you are incredibly thorough and knowledgeable. Thank you for taking the time and all your hard work. I have a 2020 si sedan and I want to do everything that you did just different speakers. I am so lost when it comes to wiring up a LOC or DSP. I went to a shop locally and the guy quoted me $2100 using an Arc PSM...I cannot afford that by any means. I am fairly handy but the wiring part to get the signals correct is so intimidating. Thankful for people like you doing all this hard work to educate guys like me. Gonna sub to your YouTube as well. Looking forward to all your future projects!

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
Just wanted to say you are incredibly thorough and knowledgeable. Thank you for taking the time and all your hard work. I have a 2020 si sedan and I want to do everything that you did just different speakers. I am so lost when it comes to wiring up a LOC or DSP. I went to a shop locally and the guy quoted me $2100 using an Arc PSM...I cannot afford that by any means. I am fairly handy but the wiring part to get the signals correct is so intimidating. Thankful for people like you doing all this hard work to educate guys like me. Gonna sub to your YouTube as well. Looking forward to all your future projects!
Nothing to be intimidated about with wiring. Positive to positive, negative to negative. Plenty of people around here to help walk you through step by step, not to mention oodles of vids on YouTube.

car3nX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Appreciate it. I will be making my own post since I do not want to hijack this one. Thanks everyone!

ricklndn

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
What is your total rms ? And do you have, extra battery? A Farad ? Did you upgrade the alternator?
Sponsored