John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
1985 Toyota CelicaSupra, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Purpose: The stock sound system was "OK" but I wanted something that shook the windows a little.

$2000 budget sound system upgrade. I had some of the materials already so it was easier for the wallet. This thread will be updated gradually when the videos have been edited.

I will be leaving the radio stock and upgrading everything else in the car. Most of the items used will be listed below. If you guys think I should link give links to the items let me know.

Most items just arrived during Christmas 2019:

BIG 3 Upgrade: Why?! If you look at your negative Battery terminal you'll notice all your electrical components are dependent on 1 single 4 AWG wire. This is really bad when running aftermarket devices that demands and strains the electrical charging system.

Big 3 Upgrade Part 1 (prep):

Big 3 Upgrade Part2 (Install):

Installing Power cable through firewll and finding ground:

Power cables:

Amp rack:
You decide where you want your amp(s) to be installed. This is just where I decided I wanted to place my amp(s).
I would recommend deciding where you want your amps before installing any wires so you know how long to make the cables. Some wires may be too short and some may be too long. You could make your cables extra long, however, now you need to bundle and hide them somewhere.

Front Speaker + Tweeter + Wires:

Rear Speaker + Tweeter + Wires:

DIY Radio Harness + Speaker signal wire:

Tuning:

ITEMS:
Radio: OEM (Thinking of installing the Android radio)
DIY Radio Harness: Metra part# 70-1731 and a 71-1731
Signal wire
: Sky High Car Audio 9 Wire OFC 18 AWG 9 Wire Cable (needed since the OEM radio didn't have RCA output)
Line driver: Audio Control LC7i, ARC (
RCA: (3) Sky High Car Audio 3 ft (needed 1.5 ft or shorter for my build)
4 Channel amp: Rockford Fosgate T400-4
Mono amp: Rockford Fosgate T1500-1
Speaker bracket: 6.5 speaker bracket for Hondas (If you live in a humid moist location use something weatherproof such as plastic, If using wood "SEAL" the wood thoroughly to protect it from absorbing moisture)
Front speakers: CT Sounds Meso 2-way component
Rear speakers: CT Sounds Meso 3-way component
Subwoofer: (1) Sundown SA-12 D2
Main power wires: 1/0 AWG Sky High Car Audio (SHCA) oxygen free copper (OFC)
Amp power wires: 4 AWG Sky High Car Audio (SHCA) oxygen free copper (OFC)
Other wires: 8 AWG SHCA OFC, 14 AWG OFC
Remote wire: 16 AWG SHCA OFC
Speaker wires: 14 AWG Sky High Car Audio OFC
Fuse: SMD ceramic ANL type fuse -- (front) 300A, (rear) 200A, (rear) 100A
Positive terminals: (front) SMD Double ANL Fuse Block, (rear) SMD Quad XL ANL Fuse Block
Negative terminal: (front) Copper Sky High Car Audio Flat 6 Spot Battery Terminals, (rear) SMD Single Power/ Ground distribution block (Half Block), Negative battery T-bolt (I bent mine)
Ring terminals: Sky High Car Audio Copper Ring Terminals w/ Heat Shrink Tubing -- 3/8" hole for 8 AWG, 4 AWG, 1/0 AWG
Sound deadener: Second Skin Audio mats, (4) 6.5 speaker baffle
Calibration tools: SMD DD-1, SMD CC-1
Sponsored

Last edited:

EP3R-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MR/MGM CB500F, 2018 WOP Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm excited to see the rest. Something very similar is going to be my next project now that my house is finally done.

quality_sound

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport HB
Country flag
I like the way you're breaking down the different parts of the installation and I live how neatly you tie your wires. A couple of recommendations, Royal Excelene welding cable from wireandsupply.com is FAR cheaper than any car audio branded cable ($2.25/foot for "regular" 1/0 or $3.25/foor for the "highly flexible" cable), though it's not available in all of the colors that SH comes in. Also, 1/0 was massive overkill for the upgrade. The OEM 4ga ground was fine considering the length, but the other three cables would have been fine with a 2ga. It takes 3 4ga runs to carry the same load as a 2ga. It would take 27 4ga runs to carry as much current as a single 1/0. You'll only have to do it once, but you definitely could have gone much smaller on that upgrade.

If you're going to use MDF for the front spacers (I would use almost anything else, even a plastic cutting board is better) make sure you coat them in 3 or 4o coats of rubberized undercoating to waterproof them and prevent them from swelling and then deteriorating on you.

I'm curious why you have the 3-way components slated for the rear of the car though.

Good looking install and I like all the detail on the parts and products you're using. I may use it as a template for my build log. Looking good!

OP
OP
joh17

joh17

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I like the way you're breaking down the different parts of the installation and I live how neatly you tie your wires. A couple of recommendations, Royal Excelene welding cable from wireandsupply.com is FAR cheaper than any car audio branded cable ($2.25/foot for "regular" 1/0 or $3.25/foor for the "highly flexible" cable), though it's not available in all of the colors that SH comes in. Also, 1/0 was massive overkill for the upgrade. The OEM 4ga ground was fine considering the length, but the other three cables would have been fine with a 2ga. It takes 3 4ga runs to carry the same load as a 2ga. It would take 27 4ga runs to carry as much current as a single 1/0. You'll only have to do it once, but you definitely could have gone much smaller on that upgrade.

If you're going to use MDF for the front spacers (I would use almost anything else, even a plastic cutting board is better) make sure you coat them in 3 or 4o coats of rubberized undercoating to waterproof them and prevent them from swelling and then deteriorating on you.

I'm curious why you have the 3-way components slated for the rear of the car though.

Good looking install and I like all the detail on the parts and products you're using. I may use it as a template for my build log. Looking good!
Thanks for the welding wire link.

I went with the 3-way in the rear because Honda has a trim where you can install a 3.5 inch speaker. I found out anything aftermarket wont fit. Have plans to do come fabrication since I already bought the rear trim from the Hatch Sport Touring.

quality_sound

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport HB
Country flag
Thanks for the welding wire link.

I went with the 3-way in the rear because Honda has a trim where you can install a 3.5 inch speaker. I found out anything aftermarket wont fit. Have plans to do come fabrication since I already bought the rear trim from the Hatch Sport Touring.

If you're going to fab to make it work, do it on the front. There is a HUGE difference in power handling and midrange clarity with a 3-way vs a 2-way and it would be a total waste to put a 3-way behind you. I'd sell the 2-way components and just put a coax back there. Well, I actually wouldn't change the rear at all since they don't affect the overall tonality at all, but if you absolutely have to swap out the rears, but the 2-way back there.

OP
OP
joh17

joh17

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you're going to fab to make it work, do it on the front. There is a HUGE difference in power handling and midrange clarity with a 3-way vs a 2-way and it would be a total waste to put a 3-way behind you. I'd sell the 2-way components and just put a coax back there. Well, I actually wouldn't change the rear at all since they don't affect the overall tonality at all, but if you absolutely have to swap out the rears, but the 2-way back there.
I'm still half asleep so if anything doesn't make sense. . .point it out. =)

MDF wood was a suggestion for the door panels, I actually bought plastic trims. Since it may be used as a starting template I'll revise my list above. Thanks.

We don't get much moisture out here in Sunny o Southern California.

Everything has already been installed. 2 way is up front 3-way in the back. Just lagging on videos.

What had happened was, things didn't go as planned. Also I had already purchased rear panels to destroy so that's why I wanted to do fabrication in the rear. First time experience. Would rather experiment in the rear first since not a lot of people look back there anyways.

The component system in the back actually made a big difference. It's also for the rear passengers to enjoy quality sound. :) Hate to have a good set-up and not be able to share it with anyone riding along.

Future plans are to get a 3-way component system up front. (Not priority at the moment but just planning)

If I were to buy other brands (just to name a few: Rockford Fosgate, JL Audio, Alpine, Pioneer,MB-Quart) I may have to sell the 2-way components up front and buy a set of 3-way components, but with CT-Sounds I can simply replace the passive crossover, add 3.5" midrange speakers, and replace current tweeters. Since I already have an extra set of tweeters to match the 3-way crossovers I just need to replace the 2-way crossover and add

Not trying to sell/promote CT-Sounds, but I was just very lucky they sell parts separately.

Complete 2-way Component: https://www.ctsounds.com/collections/component-speakers/products/meso-6-5-comp
Complete 3-way Component: https://www.ctsounds.com/collections/component-speakers/products/meso-6-5-3way-comp
Passive Corssover: https://www.ctsounds.com/collections/component-speakers/products/3-way-crossover
Midrange 3.5": https://www.ctsounds.com/collections/3-5-inch-speaker/products/meso-midrange
Tweeters: https://www.ctsounds.com/products/meso-t25?variant=35848397328

The prices vary on certain days. I usually keep an eye out for price drops or shop elsewhere.

Why don't I go with other brands? Just trying somethings new. Plus I did a pre-order and got the sets real cheap. They sound great.

Never was a real fan of Coaxial speakers. I do have some Coaxial in my 1985 CelicaSupra and I'm not impressed.

I owned an EG Civic Coupe with the set-up listed below:
Front speakers: Alpine Type X 6.5" 2-way component
Rear speakers: Alpine Type X 6.5" 2-way component
4-Channel amp: Rockford Fosgate 800.4 (classic amp)
Mono amp: Rockford Fosgate 1500.1 (classic amp)
All around it sounded great. As a passenger and a driver, everything was clear.

Everything then and now was tuned using SMD DD-1 and SMD CC-1. All signals are clean, no clipping, pure sound quality unless if your track was bad to begin with. I was lucky to get these instruments when they were barely coming out. They were cheap back then 2011-2012.

OP
OP
joh17

joh17

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@paul aka quality_sound. I think we need to work on some type of general budget build list. Requirements, recommended, not needed but great to have type of list so it can be stickied for the rest of the forum members.

quality_sound

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport HB
Country flag
@paul aka quality_sound. I think we need to work on some type of general budget build list. Requirements, recommended, not needed but great to have type of list so it can be stickied for the rest of the forum members.
That's not a bad idea. We can definitely do that.

Sonicflash01

Sonicflash01
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Going to be following this thread. I am attempting to upgrade the audio system in my '16 Coupe EX-T, and I definitely have been struggling lol.

Really appreciate the list of materials you needed so far.

OP
OP
joh17

joh17

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Going to be following this thread. I am attempting to upgrade the audio system in my '16 Coupe EX-T, and I definitely have been struggling lol.

Really appreciate the list of materials you needed so far.
Some of the materials aren't really needed but are recommended. I'll update my list.

Sonicflash01

Sonicflash01
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Some of the materials aren't really needed but are recommended. I'll update my list.
Awesome thanks man! I think I have a different head unit than you. I got the 7 inch display. Hopefully, I can learn from your build though.

OP
OP
joh17

joh17

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Awesome thanks man! I think I have a different head unit than you. I got the 7 inch display. Hopefully, I can learn from your build though.
Cool. I'll work on a video where I made my own wire harness. I didn't want to cut into my factory harness so I did a DIY harness. I'm missing the part numbers I used on my current list. I'll see if I can find those numbers and update my list later today.

quality_sound

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport HB
Country flag
Cool. I'll work on a video where I made my own wire harness. I didn't want to cut into my factory harness so I did a DIY harness. I'm missing the part numbers I used on my current list. I'll see if I can find those numbers and update my list later today.

Should be Metra part numbers 70-1731 and a 71-1731

OP
OP
joh17

joh17

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

ybok

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
How did you get your power cable thru the firewall?
Sponsored