2019 CTR's at Invoice?

avariceSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2018 Honda Pilot, 2004 Honda Civic, Ford Escape
Country flag
Don’t bother looking in California it would be a waste of time. I got a CW ‘19 in SD this time last year for about $1,600 over sticker with 5 accessories included after dealing with idiot dealers up and down the coast. Next best deal I found was $500 to $1000 over for a CW in AZ, at the time I would of had to wait 5 months for it to arrive so I payed the markup.
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
TBH though, I'm really just curious how much they will drop in price since I never bought into the whole CTR hype in the first place. Unless they are going to be giving them away, I've already got my heart set on a 2020 GT500. Licking my lips for a smoking deal on one of those babies

37u3g1.png
Just curious, but why would you want the GT500 over the Type R? Outside of a 1/4 mile drag race you will have non stop -

- Traction issues doing - really anything
- Be limited to 1/3 of your total HP for daily driving pretty much with the exception of 2-3 second punches on a highway?
- Car heavier
- Car drinks more gas
- Literally everything will be more expensive to maintain
- It's a Ford and built on the same line as the rest of Mustangs for 90% of it then the drivetrain/engine are put in by skilled techs. (I've had a 99 Cobra, 01 Cobra, and a 2004 Cobra, along with a few Mustangs sprinkled in there like a 2011 5.0)
- You give up all functionality - back seat - hauling stuff

You give up so much for some unusable power, and reduced driving enjoyment. (I can guarantee rowing gears in a Type R would be a ton more fun than throttle modulation on a 10 speed automatic so you don't spin tires)

Enjoy your car if you land one, but seriously perplexed at the attraction to it/use for it. :)

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Championship white Type R #25133, 09' Civic SI sedan, black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 2004 Mustang Cobra
Country flag
Just curious, but why would you want the GT500 over the Type R? Outside of a 1/4 mile drag race you will have non stop -

- Traction issues doing - really anything
- Be limited to 1/3 of your total HP for daily driving pretty much with the exception of 2-3 second punches on a highway?
- Car heavier
- Car drinks more gas
- Literally everything will be more expensive to maintain
- It's a Ford and built on the same line as the rest of Mustangs for 90% of it then the drivetrain/engine are put in by skilled techs. (I've had a 99 Cobra, 01 Cobra, and a 2004 Cobra, along with a few Mustangs sprinkled in there like a 2011 5.0)
- You give up all functionality - back seat - hauling stuff

You give up so much for some unusable power, and reduced driving enjoyment. (I can guarantee rowing gears in a Type R would be a ton more fun than throttle modulation on a 10 speed automatic so you don't spin tires)

Enjoy your car if you land one, but seriously perplexed at the attraction to it/use for it. :)
Every car has its place, they are simply different tools to do a job. I love my CTR, to me it is the ultimate jack of all trades. But I will always have a big power V-8 car as well. Luckily I am in the performance aftermarket business for a living and can have both. The new GT500 is an amazing car, great handling and it applies the power through a 7 speed dual clutch transmission, not a 10 speed automatic. They run easily into the 10 second zone at the track on the factory tires. Hard to not like that car!:thumbsup:

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Every car has its place, they are simply different tools to do a job. I love my CTR, to me it is the ultimate jack of all trades. But I will always have a big power V-8 car as well. Luckily I am in the performance aftermarket business for a living and can have both. The new GT500 is an amazing car, great handling and it applies the power through a 7 speed dual clutch transmission, not a 10 speed automatic. They run easily into the 10 second zone at the track on the factory tires. Hard to not like that car!:thumbsup:
As a secondary car, completely understood, I was more speaking from getting rid of the Type R and that becomes the primary :) I love all kinds of cars, that's why I held on to my M2 when I got the Type R they are like apples and oranges. Primary car vs primary car though, I'd keep the Type R and toss the M2 lol.

Happy motoring!

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
I appreciate all the responses to my original post. I suspect that CTR pricing will likely come down to an individual dealerships financial situation and how it perceives weathering the pandemics effects going forward. When all this passes, I'm also guessing there will be fewer new cars sales given the state of the economy and potentially many folks loosing jobs at worst and income at best. Should make it a buyers market, but my recent conversations over the last few days with dealers certainly doesn't reflect that condition at all, at least not so far. I had a new cars sales mgr at a big dealership in Ohio (w/ 2 2019 CTR's on the floor) tell me point blank that most people don't do the level of research I do and that he felt very confident just waiting for "someone" to walk in and pay the $2K ADM over MSRP on his cars. He didn't even try to counter my invoice price offer. The smart thing as most have indicated is likely to just wait a bit to purchase and that's what I'm anticipating doing. I'm still trying, however, to line up the right car (2019 SGP Type R) at or below invoice so that when I get ready to pull the trigger, I have a few options to bargain with and move quickly to a purchase. The current process of making 10-20 calls to dealers a day trying to suss out real pricing is incredibly frustrating, as so many of you have already experienced. Several have suggested that there are invoice priced cars out there. Specifics would be helpful, where are they??? Thanks.
I tend to agree with this.

There are a number of new CTRs listed at around invoice on car gurus. That’s where I found my SGP in FL at $50 above invoice. Called, sent a check and shipped it to CO.

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Championship white Type R #25133, 09' Civic SI sedan, black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 2004 Mustang Cobra
Country flag
As a secondary car, completely understood, I was more speaking from getting rid of the Type R and that becomes the primary :) I love all kinds of cars, that's why I held on to my M2 when I got the Type R they are like apples and oranges. Primary car vs primary car though, I'd keep the Type R and toss the M2 lol.

Happy motoring!
I absolutely agree with you 100%! :thumbsup: If if came down to only having one car there is no doubt in my mind that my Championship White FK8 would not be leaving my garage!:headbang: I enjoy it more than anything else I own without a doubt.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
A sale is not a sale. There is a difference between a low margin, high volume sale vs a high margin (high here is MSRP, let alone with ADM), low volume, and the CTR is low volume considered at the individual dealer level.
Dealers don't just get their cars for free. Almost all of them use floorplan financing that is usually structured something like this:

0-90 days: 5%-10% interest (sometimes escalates in 30 day increments)
90+ days: Remaining principal balance due

On top of that, manufacturers incentivize dealers with holdback (2% of base MSRP on each vehicle sold for Honda) and other quarterly sales incentives. Dealers can not afford to just sit on cars, even if they are low volume/rare cars.

Look at low volume sports car sales in 2008/9. You could get 15-20% off or more because buyers totally dried up. And that was not an environment where people were afraid to/prohibited from even going to dealers.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Dealers don't just get their cars for free. Almost all of them use floorplan financing that is usually structured something like this:

0-90 days: 5%-10% interest (sometimes escalates in 30 day increments)
90+ days: Remaining principal balance due

On top of that, manufacturers incentivize dealers with holdback (2% of base MSRP on each vehicle sold for Honda) and other quarterly sales incentives. Dealers can not afford to just sit on cars, even if they are low volume/rare cars.

Look at low volume sports car sales in 2008/9. You could get 15-20% off or more because buyers totally dried up. And that was not an environment where people were afraid to/prohibited from even going to dealers.
Dealers have been sitting on CTRs since it came out ( not for three years but lack of willingness to deal). Some dealers will continue to do so.

Way too early to compare this to 2008. And I’m not sure I would put a $35k CTR in the low volume sports car category.

Stephen

Bone Stock
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Country flag
They are probably going up in price because the 2020's are delayed due to what's going on. Honestly you'll be hard pressed to get invoice imo. I got 35750 before the end of the year (late december) but I think it's a slightly different world now and they may have those for a while longer before the 2020's hit.

I'd look in Louisiana they were the most willing to deal when I was looking.
problem with looking in Louisiana (I work at a dealership in Shreveport) is that if you are from outside a certain radius then we charge an out of market fee.... there are ways around it though

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
Dealers have been sitting on CTRs since it came out ( not for three years but lack of willingness to deal). Some dealers will continue to do so.
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough in the initial post. Dealers are able to sit on CTRs because while they may not sell more than a handful of CTRs in a quarter, they sell hundreds or thousands of other cars. 2% of the combined MSRPs of these cars is a ton of money for a quarterly holdback. If they aren't selling anything at all, then they will be more likely to make deals, if only just to stay in business.

Way too early to compare this to 2008. And I’m not sure I would put a $35k CTR in the low volume sports car category.
$1 trillion+ government bailout, entire industries collapsing, double digit unemployment (admittedly probably not long term, but who knows), >30% decline in DJIA and S&P. The only other even remotely analogous situation from the past 3 decades is 2008. Low volume / sports car, which to almost every Honda dealership, that's what a CTR is.

problem with looking in Louisiana (I work at a dealership in Shreveport) is that if you are from outside a certain radius then we charge an out of market fee.... there are ways around it though
I bought my car in New Iberia, LA (Thibodeaux Honda) for MSRP back when no one was selling for MSRP. They did not charge an out of market fee and were absolutely fantastic to deal with. Picked me up from Lafayette and everything.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough in the initial post. Dealers are able to sit on CTRs because while they may not sell more than a handful of CTRs in a quarter, they sell hundreds or thousands of other cars. 2% of the combined MSRPs of these cars is a ton of money for a quarterly holdback. If they aren't selling anything at all, then they will be more likely to make deals, if only just to stay in business.

$1 trillion+ government bailout, entire industries collapsing, double digit unemployment (admittedly probably not long term, but who knows), >30% decline in DJIA and S&P. The only other even remotely analogous situation from the past 3 decades is 2008. Low volume / sports car, which to almost every Honda dealership, that's what a CTR is.
Sitting on CTRs - we generally agree. Dealers will make decisions based on their situation which may result in deals.

There isn’t anything in from the past three decades to compare. Could be worse than 2008+. Who knows. But the cause is different which will certainly affect the outcome.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
Just curious, but why would you want the GT500 over the Type R?
Don't get me wrong, both are amazing cars. If I could only have one, I'd go with the CTR for all the reasons you mentioned. But since I already have my Si, it takes care of most of those reasons. The GT500 would be another toy car to go along with my '19 Z06. I'm a car enthusiast at heart and want to own as many cars as I can before it's all over.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 CTR's at Invoice? image

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazda3 5sp manual, 2012 Genesis sedan
Country flag
I tend to agree with this.

There are a number of new CTRs listed at around invoice on car gurus. That’s where I found my SGP in FL at $50 above invoice. Called, sent a check and shipped it to CO.
How much was the shipping cost and who did the delivery?
If you don't mind me asking.

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't doubt this for a second. For anyone with good job security, this will be an amazing time to be in the market for a new car. One of the Honda dealerships near me has already shut down for the next 2 weeks due to one of their employees testing positive with COVID-19. I'll be hitting them up when then they re-open to see how bad they want to get rid of their CTR's :popcorn:
Or wait a month when UK plant closes for the rest of their months this year and can't buy a 2020 CTR at all and all the 2019's are gone. People saying dealers are selling below invoice or at sticker right now let's see some proof. No ones trying to throw their CTRs out the door here. Very few left, no 2020's in sight- a huge unknown right now.
Sponsored