midlifejohnny

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Caddillac Escalade, Volks GTI
Country flag
I’m back.. I posed the question ...if you had 60k to spend.. most of you said M2, Zl1 Audi RS3. .. but I’ve narrowed down and I want to compare apples to apples or at least apples to oranges that cost the same.. For those of you who are not familiar with the Camaro SS 1LE package it’s very impressive (spare me the redesigned front is ugly comments). MSRP of 45k and can buy a 2019 for 38k. Exact same price as a 19 CTR. That’s a lot of car for that money. I was all excited about the Civic and now I’m leaning towards the Camaro which also only comes with a manual transmission. Cons. No back seat and no real cargo capacity. And the visavlity is god awful ...Pros.. to many to list. Have any of you CTR owners driven a 6th gen SS. Any previous owners? Talk be back into Honda world. Thanks in advance as always
Sponsored

JayDiem

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8, 2007 Ram 1500, 2000 CRV
Country flag
I have no experience with the Camaro but I love me some v8 muscle. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I'd say if you plan on daily driving the car and/or hauling people or stuff around regularly in it, just go with the Type R and call it a day. If you are going for more of a garage/track/weekend car I'd be leaning Camaro. The Camaro probably gets the price point nod as well IMO.

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
I’ve had a 2016 AtsV which is on the same chassis as the Camaro and have test driven a normal ss. As far as a out right performance car it is a beast and has great handling. I enjoyed my Cadillac on the road, it’s handling felt on par with the Type r and rwd to boot. The mag ride was amazing and I believe it’s on the 1le. Also the exhaust note on the lt1 is down right nasty. The downside is like you said the size and trunk room. Also I suspect resale value won’t hold as well either. The biggest gripe I had with my V was the fact it was a GM car. Unfortunately for me I went through two engines and the car was bought back, I suspect the LT1 being way more reliable since the small block v8s are pretty reliable overall. With that being said I would pick the 1le if I didn’t have a family to drive around in snow.

mmm def

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 CTR, 13 GS350
Country flag
My good bud has an ss 1le. My god that car is a monster. They handle/brake as good if not better than a ctr and absolutely destroy it in a straight line. Reallly impressive car. Honestly-I’d probably take the 1le if I weren’t such a Honda whore or didn’t have 2 kids.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
I’d go mustang GT Performance pack 2 instead of the Camaro. FYI not some Chevy vs Ford person just think it’s a better car

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
I’d go mustang GT Performance pack 2 instead of the Camaro. FYI not some Chevy vs Ford person just think it’s a better car
If you go the Mustang route then get the LFP 800hp package. It should be close to the same price as a regular GT and I think it comes with a warranty.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
A fellow autocrosser has one. It is fast.. Handling is very impressive and more so for a car as bulky looking as it is. As good if not better, than the previous Z/28. If you like it, go for it!

His plate reads: M1SS1LE for SS / 1LE

That said, the flat crank V8 in the Mustang GT350 sounds pretty darn nice too

Last edited:

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm confused about your pricing. Are you looking to spend $38,000 or $60,000?

Personally, I'd buy the CTR before the Camaro. From an engineering standpoint, the CTR is far superior to the SS. If we were talking about the ZL1 Camaro then that's a completely different story, and it's also $20,000 more.

If I was spending $38,000 it would be the CTR for sure.
If I was spending $60,000 it would be a base model Corvette Stingray. The only time I'd pick a ZL1 over a Stingray would be if I was going to the track regularly.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
If this is a daily driver, considering running costs and practicality and reliability in addition to pure performance, I'd go with the CTR all day every day at 38k.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
I was all excited about the Civic and now I’m leaning towards the Camaro which also only comes with a manual transmission. Cons. No back seat and no real cargo capacity. And the visavlity is god awful ...Pros.. to many to list. Have any of you CTR owners driven a 6th gen SS. Any previous owners? Talk be back into Honda world. Thanks in advance as always
I test drove a used 5th gen SS a couple years ago and it was great. I assume the 6th gen is even better.

It really depends on what you want it for. The engine note, exterior looks, and creature comforts all seem better on the SS.
As someone else mentioned, the value of the Type R will likely hold better. It is significantly more practical day-to-day, and is extremely fun to drive. True cost to own seems like it will be significantly lower for the Type R.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
1le laptimes are on par with the GT350 so yeh its a hardcore performance car. But also remember those 305 section tires will be more than a grand to change out less than 8k miles, visibility completely shit and no sense of ergonomics. Would make a great weekend car though.

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Red giant, a 5th gen ss is garbage in all areas compared to the 6th gen. It’s 100% better in all aspects.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You guys know the 1LE is a performance package right? You get Recaro seats, 20" wheels, Brembos, suspension upgrades, and an oil cooler. I feel like some of you are confusing the ZL1 with a 1LE.

A Camaro SS 1LE is not in the same league as a GT350. The ZL1 is in the same league as the GT350

Ouhei

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag
Going to need way more information on what you plan on doing with the car really.

If you plan on it just being a weekend toy then the Camaro might be a better option if that's what you're into since it's a more pure performance car. If it's going to be a car you need to get any real use out of (commuting, errands around town, carrying more than 1 person with you, etc etc) then it's not a comparison at all and it's the CTR all day. It's not really fair to compare the cars directly since they're really different so use case kind of makes a big difference. A lot of us here are also hardcore Honda fanboys, so the CTR is sort of the best option for us too.

Iilac

Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, CTR, TUNDRA, MAXIMA, CX9
Country flag
I'm confused about your pricing. Are you looking to spend $38,000 or $60,000?

Personally, I'd buy the CTR before the Camaro. From an engineering standpoint, the CTR is far superior to the SS. If we were talking about the ZL1 Camaro then that's a completely different story, and it's also $20,000 more.

If I was spending $38,000 it would be the CTR for sure.
If I was spending $60,000 it would be a base model Corvette Stingray. The only time I'd pick a ZL1 over a Stingray would be if I was going to the track regularly.
Ha, kind of cool to have a GM employee pick a CTR over their bread and butter!
Sponsored