2019 Civic Type R

xcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
SG is a great looking colour but unfortunately, not on this car. It clashes badly with the red trim. Also looks like Blutack with 4 wheels stuck to it. The only colour you won’t regret buying is CW IMO. Neutral colours are always the safest.

Back on topic...
So from what we know so far, no more fake vents and a more subtle wing? That’s a good enough reason for me to be more patience.

Any civic owners waiting for the MY19 like me? Man, this is painful.
Sponsored

Last edited:

neveronline

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current '19 CW CTR #23856 & '18 Accord 2.0T Previous - 2015 WRX, 1999 SI, '04 S2000, '08 Evo X, '10 SI sedan, '11 Fit Sport, '11 WRX, '13 ILX
Country flag
SG is a great looking colour but unfortunately, not on this car. It clashes badly with the red trim. Also looks like Blutack with 4 wheels stuck to it. The only colour you won’t regret buying is CW IMO. Neutral colours are always the safest.

Back on topic...
So from what we know so far, no more fake vents and a more subtle wing? That’s a good enough reason for me to be more patience.

Any civic owners waiting for the MY19 like me? Man, this is painful.
Im waiting to see what the outcome is with the 19. I would like the newer version of the infotainment system (like my wife's accord has) and per the last press release the civic line is getting this with the refresh. Hope fully they open up the grill to aid with cooling and do something with the faux vents, but the latter doesn't bother me all that much, and I like the large wing as opposed to the small one or wingless. I will be buying an R sometime in early 19 either way so we will see:thumbsup:

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
The large rear wing is the defining characteristic of a Type R, why would anyone want a small wing or no wing at all might as well just buy an SI.
Just like the Porsche GT3, they now have a new wingless version called Touring, but to me it just doesn't look like a "GT3" and should really be called the 911 touring, not GT3.

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
Country flag
The large rear wing is the defining characteristic of a Type R, why would anyone want a small wing or no wing at all might as well just buy an SI.
Just like the Porsche GT3, they now have a new wingless version called Touring, but to me it just doesn't look like a "GT3" and should really be called the 911 touring, not GT3.
Totally agree. I'm at Car Week. Spending a lot of time around a manual GT3 and a new GT2RS. The wings define them visually as Porsche GT cars. Wouldn't be right without them and the wingless one is awesome but should be called something else.

To me the Type R wing balances out the rest of the aggressiveness in the styling. Without it, the car wouldn't be cool. It would just be awkward (opposite idea of predator face on an otherwise boring Lexus sedan??). I saw a black CTR drive past the GT2RS this morning and it looked downright pedestrian next to aggressiveness of the Porsche!

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
I agree, it gives it that distinguished look that sets it apart from other Civic models, just like the Subaru WRX STI.

xcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
There's no doubt the Type R wing looks better than the Si wing but the fake vents are welcome to go IMO.

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
No new shots? Time off from the Nurg?

Andjoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R - CW #19431
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The honda dealership where I put my deposit down for a 2019, told me they've heard Canada will be releasing a Gray color for 2019. I'd be ecstatic if it was the PMM, but I'm not holding my breath since I've seen nothing online or even rumored of this :-(

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
The honda dealership where I put my deposit down for a 2019, told me they've heard Canada will be releasing a Gray color for 2019. I'd be ecstatic if it was the PMM, but I'm not holding my breath since I've seen nothing online or even rumored of this :-(
I hope you are correct my friend, because out of the limited color choices Canada gets(White, Black, Red), I would have to choose White, as I want the color that requires the least upkeep.
I would much rather get either the PMM or Sonic Gray which will hide the dirt and dust the best.
Silver would be the very best and least maintenance, but I don't think Honda will offer a silver color choice.
Canada may offer fewer color choices, but at least they don't charge any ADM's and fleece their customers.

mmuldoon

17 SI Coupe
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 SI Coupe
Country flag
I guess if we're in the business of speculation, I'll jump in.

This is mostly only a style refresh, like in 1998 when the entire Civic line got a facelift and it extended through to the Type R, since it was pretty much just new body panels ahead of the A-pillar. I expect that this will actually cheapen the look of the car, as happened with the facelift of the Civic in 2009. Somehow took a strong design, resculpted it, and made it look like a car with a $10g lower MSRP. I'll pass.

There may be small mechanical changes, but don't expect anything world changing or life altering. Honda tweaks cars like these over their production run - for example, a 1999 S2000 is a very different car from a 2009. I would guess it gets some small changes in the transmission, maybe even a couple different rations betwee 2-5, and some small adjustments to the cooling system - a new grill or upgraded radiator. In fact, look for a slick hood with the refresh (it'll be time to replace the tools they are using currently, anyway) or even one with functioning vents instead of a scoop - and expect this retrofit to be widely adopted by 2017-2018 owners (especially if the hood fits, the '98 hood did not fit the '96-'97 Civic so we'll have to see).

I would be thrilled if they offer the car with smooth rotors instead of drilled, floating or not, especially if they are interchangeable with the current cars. However, I expect, and would be far more excited to see smooth, floating rotors as an HFP dealer option. That would make it more likely they could be swapped onto our cars, but would increase the pricing a bit. Remember, HFP did offer rotors/pads for the '06 Si. Didn't sell a single one, but they make weird choices. To further the accessory speculation, I would bet that low wing is also an HFP dealer option. I doubt the car will come with that out of the factory, but it's likely to be sold as something to appease the Derp DeDerpo YouTubers of the world.

The car will most likely continue to get the navigation, and probably won't get the volume knob you weirdos are going on about (you know there is a volume adjustment on the steering wheel, right?). I'm fifty fifty on backup sensors and crosstraffic sensors and the like, but I doubt the car will get adaptive cruise or lanewatch or automatic breaking or any of that stuff. There may be some small style changes inside the car, like the outside, but they'd be things you'd have to look for. Don't expect anything big, and as I'm typing this, I'm less sold on any more or less technology or safety stuff.

Expect the price to go up another $500, but no more. It will probably go up by $500 every model year, but not more than than. I haven't read if Honda corporate is selling these at a loss or breakeven like the S2000 and NSX, but they aren't going to go crazy and try to improve their profit margin with this car. They don't move enough units, it would piss everyone off, and it's not really how Honda operates.

What's the prize for closest predictions?
I was kind of thinking, can you have sensing and stuff on a manual transmission car? If it brakes for you, what about clutch/down shifting etc.? That goes for adaptive cruise too?

ebw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Acura RDX, 14 BMW 650i, 09 Aston Martin V8V, 73 Ford Maverick, 47 handbuilt racer
Country flag
Yes, BMW and Mazda have had the tech on manual cars for at least a couple years. The engine may stall if the clutch pedal is not depressed, but it will stop your car if it so chooses.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I was kind of thinking, can you have sensing and stuff on a manual transmission car? If it brakes for you, what about clutch/down shifting etc.? That goes for adaptive cruise too?
The Fit EX was the first US model with Honda Sensing and a manual transmission. The Accord Sport 6MT's have Honda Sensing. The low-speed follow function isn't available, though. Shift indicators are provided. In the event CMBS stops the vehicle, the engine simply stalls.

notavr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Do we have a sense of when the 19 will become available? Or when we might get some concrete information about the changes and price? Any predictions around how easy it will be actually find one?

There are very few Type R's available anywhere near me and I live in a major metro area. At this point I'm going to wait a few months and see what the 2019s are going to bring to the table, but I expect to be in the market for a new car in the next 10-12 months and CTR is currently at the top of my list... wondering if I'll be able to find one!
they're going into production next month(october) according to the locator on the iN. Sonic Gray is coming as well, its showing as one of the colors going into production
Sponsored