2019 Civic Type R Spy Shots. Facelift?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Is the roof in the CTR made of steel or aluminum? In the EVO IX the roof was aluminum and that fact alone disqualified a sunroof, they'd have had to use a steel roof which is a weight penalty on top of a weight penalty, no pun intended.
Steel. The key benefit is torsional rigidity. But it also gives Honda more room to reinforce the roof plane where it intersects with the B-pillar.
Sponsored

willimo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Civic, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I've always understood the roof skin to be just that - a skin. Like door skins, or front fenders. The loads are transferred through the A-B-C pillar stamping, and across the car by the bracing around the windshield, the rear window (hatch in our case) and a few braces in the roof. Pull the headliner down and there isn't really much there. And the thin sheet of steel is all that between you and the paint on the other side.

Oh yeah, and, I guess....

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Civic Type R Spy Shots. Facelift? 1511832201548

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Former M4 owner here, try finding an F80 M3/M4 with a sunroof. They are very rare and usually sell at a discount. GT3/RS/GT2/ZL1 1LE/etc are all track focused versions of larger production vehicles and none of them offer an optional sunroof. Honda made an engineering decision where they were focused on saving weight so this was a very easy choice for them. From what I remember it was a 60 lb penalty in the second worst location, unsprung/wheels would be the worst.

Regarding future value, good luck. I think my plate says 17069 which is about 10x the production of what would be considered semi rare.
69th car in MY17 worldwide is pretty good.
Think total cars are still lot less than MY18 Z06s.

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
On a positive note, at least the Honda won’t depreciate at the rate a Porsche will. CTR will always be worth something.
For you to say that, obviously you've never owned a Porsche.
Many Porsche models appreciate in value.
Just check out the Porsche 911R as an example, and most GT3's for that matter.
Better idea to do your homework, before making such silly statements.

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
I've always understood the roof skin to be just that - a skin. Like door skins, or front fenders. The loads are transferred through the A-B-C pillar stamping, and across the car by the bracing around the windshield, the rear window (hatch in our case) and a few braces in the roof. Pull the headliner down and there isn't really much there. And the thin sheet of steel is all that between you and the paint on the other side.

1511832201548.jpg
Correct, and when cutting a hole in the roof to accommodate a sunroof, you'll have to rearrange the roof bracing. It's really tough to cross brace the roof if there's a hole in the way. Unless the sunroof is small enough to fit between the bracing, the sunroof does pose/create a structural issue.

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
No confirmed MSRP yet. He just told me I would pay Honda's new set price. I hope its lower. LOL

It should be lower though if they are putting on smaller wheels/tires, etc.
So the big question is, are they selling it to you as MSRP?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Mitsu briefly talked about it regarding the Evo. Has to do with tensional integrity across the A and C pillars. The metal may be very thin but it can help maintain integrity by "pulling" the A and C pillars under hard cornering. Adding a sunroof indirectly removes that benefit, however small, because you now have a hole interrupting that specific tensional force.

Honda mentioned that removing the sunroof allows them greater freedom to reinforce the beam's attachment points between B pillars. I don't know if they do anything along the beam itself (thicker beam?). But the rear of the sunroof is VERY close to that beam in other Civics. And I do know they reinforce where it meets the the top of the B pillar.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Civic Type R Spy Shots. Facelift? upload_2018-9-14_8-31-0

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
Mitsu briefly talked about it regarding the Evo. Has to do with tensional integrity across the A and C pillars. The metal may be very thin but it can help maintain integrity by "pulling" the A and C pillars under hard cornering. Adding a sunroof indirectly removes that benefit, however small, because you now have a hole interrupting that specific tensional force.

Honda mentioned that removing the sunroof allows them greater freedom to reinforce the beam's attachment points between B pillars. I don't know if they do anything along the beam itself (thicker beam?). But the rear of the sunroof is VERY close to that beam in other Civics. And I do know they reinforce where it meets the the top of the B pillar.

upload_2018-9-14_8-31-0.png
yea, the red color are the main members and the yellow are the cross members. I suspect the yellow members will be glue to the bottom side of the roof skin. This should help with torsional rigidity. should there be diagonally placed yellow color members, then the roof need not be glued to the roof "ribs" and still have torsional rigidity. otherwise, the roof skin will have to help.

averagetrackdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 S2000
Country flag
Considering the fact that Acura's sales are suffering, my bet that the red CTR with an Si spoiler is a test mule for an updated ILX A-spec.

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
Country flag
Honda sent out details on Coupe and Sedan changes today going on sale Oct 10, but nothing on hatchback or CTR. This nebulously worded statement is the only hint I could see and I can't discern anything from it.

"The 2019 Civic Sedan is available in five generously-equipped trims: LX, Sport, EX, EX-L and Touring. Civic Coupe is available in LX, Sport, EX and Touring trims. The 2019 Civic launch will continue later this year with the Civic Si Coupe and Sedan, Civic Hatchback and Civic Type R. Details concerning the rest of the 2019 Civic lineup will be announced at a later date."

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Means that they're still outlining details of the rollout schedule from those plants. IIRC, the Si comes from Alliston and the Hatch & CTR from Swindon. We'll probably see an announcement within a month or less.

jinderC

1511832201548.jpg

Little more than just a "Skin". Hey if you can build a better car you should call the Engineers at Honda and show them you're model? ;)

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Civic Type R Spy Shots. Facelift? Untitled-1

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Looking like you were pretty much right on with this.
https://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1367687

I am not seeing a hatch. No manual offered and this seems to imply the A-spec will just be an aero package but powered by the same 200 hp engine.

I wonder if this will have a 5x120 bolt pattern and if the wheels will have a Type R compatible offset. Nah, it's probably Civic bolt pattern.
Sponsored