2019 Civic Type R Spy Shots. Facelift?

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That would be really weird to change the big spoiler to a smaller one. Total downgrade

Hopefully it is a sign that there will be a SI hatchback. Surprise us HONDA!!
If honda was testing for a Hatchback Si, they wouldn't use a CTR to test with, they'd use a hatch sport and just do the necessary engine/suspension mods to get it up to par. I'm in no way opposed to a hatch Si, i think the sport trim is a somewhat half baked idea to begin with and should've just been an Si to begin with, but, they wouldn't be using a CTR as a mule, the bodywork alone changes too many variables for aero, weight, exhaust, etc over the Si.
Sponsored

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Rotors are solid now and not drilled.
I missed that, good thing though drilled rotors are worthless and just a style piece. Lead to cracks and other issues too fast.

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
Don't we wish!?
Meh, 50/50 TBH, It has to be better than anything else outside. And for sure, away more powerful. I have no problem with the FWD.
Don't we wish!?
Meh, I guess 50/50, for that sinful move from Honda :yes: , it has to be really good & definitely powerful, not just another Niche model.

If so, this car should not comply, but be the reference, just like they have been doing in the FWD layout. AWD they don't feel good in general. Steering feel tends to be mute.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
Who cares about the exterior? Where's the interior pictures as we want to know if they are getting a volume knob! Seriously though it's good to see the front changes could be functional in permitting more air flow into the engine bay. As for the spoiler I'm going to say that it's for the long rumored additional trim level.

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
Country flag
Non-drilled rotors. Small wing. All sounds like lower trim version to me. Better cooling would be great. I higher hp version would be amazing, but I don't need it as I imagine those would get marked up and we'd be back to where we were before. More trim levels would help with ADM though. Hard for dealers to make it appear like it is a "limited edition" when they have multiple trim levels. Adding trim levels also helps explain why Honda markets the Type R as a model unto itself instead of a different trim level of Hatchback.

I do think the big fake vents could have been done better but over time they grew on me. It'll be interesting to see if it is better. I don't want it watered down too much. The fake carbon is still the worst part to me and I imagine that'll stay. A volume knob would be nice for sure.

Oh and for everyone that though the Type R would look better without a wing or a smaller wing, now we know. I think it looks awful. The big wing balances out the rest of the design. Without it, it just looks awkward.

I also don't care about AWD. I sort of missed it at first before they launched it, but I'll take FWD vs the extra weight any day, particularly given how well it handles. I sure didn't miss it when I drove it.

Iilac

Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, CTR, TUNDRA, MAXIMA, CX9
Country flag
Since we are speculating, CVT on the small wang variant!

Last edited:

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
Even better, DCT w/paddles.
Oh please, let this part of the speculation truly not come to pass......CVT........shift paddles.....on a Type R.....something has to remain sacred in all of this......I will make it my mission to help ensure the survival of at least one 3-pedal car in this world :)

The Z06 lost it's purity of purpose when they introduced automatic transmissions a few years ago, and it was a sad day. Doesn't anyone want to DRIVE a car anymore?

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
Country flag
The Si wing looks better on the hatch than the Si, especially the sedan. Just my .02$
I think it would be fine if it didn't have the rest of the Type R fenders and such. Put that wing on a regular Hatchback and make a proper Si HB and everything would be just fine. No need for a lower trim CTR IMO, just make a proper Si HB.

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
First and foremost I hope they got the reliability right - especially the transmission issues. Then what good more power and other goodies?

If so they can count me in as a client. I'm waiting the face-lift with interest.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh please, let this part of the speculation truly not come to pass......CVT........shift paddles.....on a Type R.....something has to remain sacred in all of this......I will make it my mission to help ensure the survival of at least one 3-pedal car in this world :)

The Z06 lost it's purity of purpose when they introduced automatic transmissions a few years ago, and it was a sad day. Doesn't anyone want to DRIVE a car anymore?
Honda already "killed" the sacred heritage of the Type R and Si models the day they decided to turbo charge models that were always best known for being naturally aspirated until this point. Did it ruin the cars? I'd say they're better for it. Offering an automatic option (not killing the manual option) doesn't make these any less sacred, it simply opens them up to a wider audience of those who'd instead go to a competitor (because they offer an auto option) or simply don't want to deal with a manual (we exist... stop and go traffic every single day is not fun in a manual all the time). I agree tho it shouldn't/wouldn't be a CVT... a CVT couldn't handle the torque... either the 10-speed auto from the accord or the 8 speed DCT from acura would be ideal options, especially on a CTR that was more touring oriented.

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Gents, I'm just glad to see these spy pics which shows me that there will be a future Civic Type R.
Remember what happened with the Porsche 911 GT3.
They changed exclusively to PDK automatic and many were very disappointed, so much so that Porsche was smart enough to bring back the manual.
I don't think Honda is that stupid to offer the Type R only in an automatic form.
I also think Honda will keep the future Type R's FWD, and I'm fine with that because it makes them lighter weight and more nimble.

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport
Country flag
I figured this will be a 2020 refresh since the 10th gen civic launched in 2016 and Honda has a history of refreshes every 4 years. I would love AWD for the new model and reduce all those safety features to save on weight .

breakingakajav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP FK8, 91 Miata, 19 X-trek
Country flag
Hold it.
This guy knows someone very high up in Honda Motor Corp and there isn't going to be a 2019 CTR :D:D

Maybe it was a cleaning engineer ….:ninja:
Janitor on the 20th floor possibly :lol:

Honda already "killed" the sacred heritage of the Type R and Si models the day they decided to turbo charge models that were always best known for being naturally aspirated until this point. Did it ruin the cars? I'd say they're better for it. Offering an automatic option (not killing the manual option) doesn't make these any less sacred, it simply opens them up to a wider audience of those who'd instead go to a competitor (because they offer an auto option) or simply don't want to deal with a manual (we exist... stop and go traffic every single day is not fun in a manual all the time). I agree tho it shouldn't/wouldn't be a CVT... a CVT couldn't handle the torque... either the 10-speed auto from the accord or the 8 speed DCT from acura would be ideal options, especially on a CTR that was more touring oriented.
Why do I see this so often? Stop and go in manual blah blah blah, I've been driving manuals for 12+ years in one of the worst traffic areas and into NYC. Even when I had my evo with a stage 3 clutch I never once in my life went "wow shifting gears in this makes me want an auto/is unfun." Like do you guys just roll every time someone lets off the break or something? Or is it just pure laziness? I never got that, don't think I ever will. :dunno:
Sponsored