2019 Civic Type R or Wait for 2020?

MrMackeyMk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-T WOP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm in the market for a Type R and have been getting quotes from local dealers and out of state dealers for the 2019 model. I found a beautiful Rally Red with 6 miles on it and the dealer is offering MSRP $37,231 with some added accessories like a low-jack, some "special" paint coating, cargo tray, wheel locks, door edge film, I'll be trading in my 2016 Civic EX-T Coupe which is just under 30k miles and making the Type R my daily driver. I've seen "spy" shots of potential cosmetic changes including maybe even different sized tires on a possible 2020 type r. But I know to take all of that with a grain of salt, I'm in no rush to make this purchase and was curious if anything else might have slipped out online about the next possible refresh to the Type R.

So... The 2019 release Nov 3rd for dealers, but this 2020 model has me on edge sounding like it could pop up pretty soon? Is there any speculation on this, if so why would they do such a small release window with the 2019 version?
Sponsored

OneSickFK8

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM FK8
Country flag
I'm in the market for a Type R and have been getting quotes from local dealers and out of state dealers for the 2019 model. I found a beautiful Rally Red with 6 miles on it and the dealer is offering MSRP $37,231 with some added accessories like a low-jack, some "special" paint coating, cargo tray, wheel locks, door edge film, I'll be trading in my 2016 Civic EX-T Coupe which is just under 30k miles and making the Type R my daily driver. I've seen "spy" shots of potential cosmetic changes including maybe even different sized tires on a possible 2020 type r. But I know to take all of that with a grain of salt, I'm in no rush to make this purchase and was curious if anything else might have slipped out online about the next possible refresh to the Type R.

So... The 2019 release Nov 3rd for dealers, but this 2020 model has me on edge sounding like it could pop up pretty soon? Is there any speculation on this, if so why would they do such a small release window with the 2019 version?
Never be in a rush to buy a car. That being said it's doubtful anything is changing at all with the 2020. Also you can find a MSRP deal or below on a 2019 with no add-ons if you try hard enough.

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I’ve been a huge Honda and Acura fan since about 2000 (BEFORE F&F :D)

All I can tell you... no one knows why Honda does what Honda does. Seriously. I’ve been trying to figure out their moves for nearly two decades and every time myself and seemingly the various forum communities are generally super wrong or can’t understand why Honda/Acura decides to do what they do.

Don’t try to make sense of what they do. You’ll undoubtedly suffer a very unnecessary brain aneurism.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Might as well wait. My guess is they will bring HondaSense and the faux grill refresh to the Type R as they did with the 2020 Si, if that's important to you.

I saw a 2020 si on the road the other day. The new grills look okay from the back.

Also a MSRP increase for inflation. Seems to be the trend every MY.

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Big changes won't happen till 2021. You good to get one now.

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Big changes won't happen till 2021. You good to get one now.
The bigger question is whether there will even be a Type R in 2021. I’m willing to bet no. The CTR didn’t come until the second production year, so don’t expect to see anything before 2022.

And on that note, it’s not coming unless something drastic happens to the Type R formula. I think it’s safe to say Honda has maxed out the capabilities with FWD. The competition is moving to AWD and electrification, which also adds a ton of weight- the complete opposite of the R formula.

It took Honda 20 years to place a turbo into the Type R lineup and finally ditch the maxed out potential of NA setups. I wonder how long it’ll be before they accept electrification for sport purposes.

Last edited:

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The bigger question is whether there will even be a Type R in 2021. I’m willing to bet no. The CTR didn’t come until the second production year, so don’t expect to see anything before 2022.

And on that note, it’s not coming unless something drastic happens to the Type R formula. I think it’s safe to say Honda has maxed out the capabilities with FWD. The competition is moving to AWD and electrification, which also adds a ton of weight- the complete opposite of the R formula.

It took Honda 20 years to place a turbo into the Type R lineup and finally ditch the maxed out potential of NA setups. I wonder how long it’ll be before they accept electrification for sport purposes.
I feel pretty confident there will be a 2021.

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
Honda very rarely brings any Type R models to North America. Given what's happening in the UK plant and the recent trends in the automotive industry, I would seriously doubt that the redesigned Civic (scheduled for 2021) will have a Type R variant. Which should have a very positive effect on our resale values!

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Honda very rarely brings any Type R models to North America. Given what's happening in the UK plant and the recent trends in the automotive industry, I would seriously doubt that the redesigned Civic (scheduled for 2021) will have a Type R variant. Which should have a very positive effect on our resale values!
They're moving Civic production to NA.

Honda has said they are planning on expanding the Type R badge (like what Subaru did with STI). Expect more, not less. Given the popularity of the current gen Civic Type R they will bring it back for another. We've already seen them testing a face lifted one on the 'ring.

alvav

First Name
Leonidas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2019 Acura NSX
As an owner of a Honda dealership (actually ex-owner; sold it 3 months ago), highly doubtful. They're not moving Civic production to NA; 99% of them are already produced here.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
I feel pretty confident there will be a 2021.
Doubtful. 2012 will be the 11th gen Civic and will likely not have an R variant the first year. If an 11th gen CTR is made (likely, given success of the FK2 and FK8), it will be in Marysville but won't be until at least 2022. And who knows what it will be like (mild hybrid, hybrid, AWD, etc).

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
They're moving Civic production to NA.

Honda has said they are planning on expanding the Type R badge (like what Subaru did with STI). Expect more, not less. Given the popularity of the current gen Civic Type R they will bring it back for another. We've already seen them testing a face lifted one on the 'ring.
I'm not sure what testing a current 10G CTR has to do with a new 11G CTR.

One has nothing to do with the other.

Also, Honda said back in 2016 that they wanted to expand the Type R lineup. They even mentioned an AWD version (as there apparently is room under the car for a read differential), or a GT version. It's been 3 years and nothing. We shall see if 2020 is any different. Thus far, if the brochures posted online are accurate, there is no change for 2020 either.

I'm also confused by your STi comment. Subaru hasn't expanded anything with the STi. The WRX was around before we got the STi. And only one model still carries the STi badge in North America, as it has since 2004. Japan always had way more STis, right from the get go. But I see no sense in applying what is/has been happening in Japan for the last 25+ years, to what is happening in North America. Two different markets. Worlds apart.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
My accountant said to wait until the 2033 model.

Good things come to those who wait . . . . . But you might die or get disabled next year. . . . . . . So . . . . . . .. I’d just get this years’. Would suck to die without experiencing a CTR. Lol
Sponsored