cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
Country flag
Hello, all! I'm new here but a long time Honda/Acura fan having owned everything from an '89 Accord LX (carb'ed) 5pd as the first car I bought on my own to a 2010 Acura TSX 6MT and a plethora of Accords and last year Prelude in between. I recently turned in the lease to my 2016 BMW 328i M Sport 6MT that I spent way too much money modifying tastefully. I now own my own business and work from my home office so I'll be buying a first gen Miata cream puff to satisfy the urge I've had to buy one of those ever since I got my drivers license. My gf's car (2016 Malibu Hybrid - junk) is due to end it's lease around July so we'll be looking to replace her car with a new Civic Sport. We decided on the Civic Sport as we are looking to buy a car either entirely outright or pay half of it down initially and pay it off in a year or so, so a $22K Civic fits that bill well. In addition, ever since I got my BMW she has learned to and enjoys driving a manual so a win-win there for me. My Miata will be the car I drive on occassion, in the moutains, and on nice days so the Civic will be our daily driver and car we take trips in. Also, as we plan to own this car outright, we plan on actually keepint it for the long haul (6-8 years) and I much prefer the simplicty of the 2.0L N/A motor with the manual. As we don't have any children we don't require a 4 door moving forward but rear doors do come in handy. In our opinion, the coupe looks slightly better than the sedan for virtually the same price but I'm trying to discern if there is any actual equipment differences between the two at all. It appears, according to the Honda website, be identical equipment wise. Am I missing anything?

The only thing that kills me is the Sport, which is the ultimate value it seems, lacks LED or HID headlights. I've had them on my last few cars and have grown accustomed to them. Is it possible/feasible to buy the Touring model LEDs and just do a direct replacment. Coming from the BMW world, EVERYTHING you did on those electrically required an insame amount of work and coding and even then was hit or miss.

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm looking forward to absorbing all of the new Honda info here as my in depth knowledge is back from the H22 Prelude days!
Sponsored

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you're going 2.0 go lx and just switch the radio and wheels...sport 2.0 isn't worth it if you're going the manual route..i can see getting it in cvt though

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
1.5t I would recommend. Also go coupe. It’s a sportier car so go all the way. Plus you won’t get those awful looking rear vents on the coupe. Tinting will be more expensive if you go si due to the wing being removed.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Good info. I (we) are deadset on the manual and I (perhaps being stubborn and old school for reliability) am dead set on the N/A 2.0. Perhaps the oil issues I've read about in the 1.5T are overblown but it was a concern. Plus, knowing myself, if I got another turbo I would go down the rabbit whole of tuning it, then doing intercooler, exhaust, etc. I do think the coupe looks more upscale compared to the sedan so that's where we are leaning. My reading shows the Sport trim to be only about $600 more than the LX but it includes Apple Car Play and better wheels amongst other things.

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The only thing that kills me is the Sport, which is the ultimate value it seems, lacks LED or HID headlights. I've had them on my last few cars and have grown accustomed to them. Is it possible/feasible to buy the Touring model LEDs and just do a direct replacment.
You would be better off just upgrading to LED or HID for $50 to $200. The direct replacement will cost you quite a bit.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Good info. I (we) are deadset on the manual and I (perhaps being stubborn and old school for reliability) am dead set on the N/A 2.0. Perhaps the oil issues I've read about in the 1.5T are overblown but it was a concern. Plus, knowing myself, if I got another turbo I would go down the rabbit whole of tuning it, then doing intercooler, exhaust, etc. I do think the coupe looks more upscale compared to the sedan so that's where we are leaning. My reading shows the Sport trim to be only about $600 more than the LX but it includes Apple Car Play and better wheels amongst other things.
I think you'll be satisfied with the 2.0 sport. The sport does offer nicer features such as the better seats, digital color instrument panel, Apple carplay/android auto, more speakers, and the way nicer looking appearance package over the LX. Also, if you get KTuner for the 2.0, it becomes pretty fun to drive especially with the 6 MT so you won't really miss the 1.5 unless you're really after more power. The answer is pretty simple, if you dont need the extra 2 doors then get the coupe. It looks better and is the body style I would get if i didnt need a sedan. Also, I myself own a tuned 2.0 with a a CVT and its pretty fun and never feels down on power :thumbsup:

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks! Yeah, the Sport is the ultimate value for us. Again, we've leased plenty of luxury cars and right now are just looking for a great fun to drive value that we can buy outright or pay off in a year or less. For us, that's a $22K Civic. My Miata will be for the days I want to take the back roads to wherever. I didn't realize there was a tune for the 2.0. Interesting, I'll have to look that up.

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Although we won't know for sure for at least another 5 years, the 2.0 will probably last longer than the 1.5T. On the other hand, unless you keep the car for more than 8 years, it probably won't make any difference to you. I suspect that the turbo problems probably won't occur until the vehicle gets old or very high mileage or if you abuse it or over-modify it. We do seem to have more problems reported with people who modify the performance or electrics than those who leave their cars stock.

Note that the 2.0 manual does have some "rev-hang" that some owners find annoying and the manual is geared lower than the CVT. Long interstate drones in the manual will be more fatiguing and will get lower mileage. Test drive in all conditions is a must.

The "sport" does look nice and the sedan has lots of room for 4 adults, or two adults and three children. The coupe looks cooler than the sedan, but is cramped in the back. Just depends on your situation which body style you get. You can get some cool colors with the coupe that are not available in the sedan. The bigger wheels on the sport do use a little more fuel and the manual uses a little more fuel than the CVT.

The LX Coupe may be an alternative as you do get 16" alloy wheels but not the digital dash or head unit with Apple Carplay or Android Auto.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
Can't go wrong with any Civic, they're all great little cars. I owned a few Chevy's and they are junk. Test drove a new Accord, and CR-V. Couldn't wait to get back into my Civic. It's fun to drive(especially with a KTuner). If you're looking to spend in the low 20k's, some here have negotiated an Si in that price range. The Si has LSD, stronger rods, and other advantages. Test drive and compare them. There's plenty of aftermarket support, so LED lights shouldn't be a deal breaker.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'll probably do a proper HID retrofit with bi-xenon projectors like I did on a previous car. About $800 or so including professional labor but well worth it, in my opinion.

69L46Vert

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI Coupe, 2003 Civic DX, 1977 CJ5, 1969 Corvette, 1954 GMC 100, 2018 Toyota 4Runner, 1965 Volkswagen Beetle
Country flag
Sport Coupe 6speed really is one heck of a deal. $800 less than a cvt. I got the Si coupe but my second choice would be a manual sport coupe in practically any colour. They look great.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I really don't think the sport is much different than the lx besides the gimmicky exhaust...I'll take the 4 grand savings and upgrade it myself. the si on the other hand will be worth more in the long run resale on 2.0 "sport" manual will be bad as a manual lx. Si buyers will always be there and ok with a manual. A sport cvt might hold a little more value tho just my opinion. I plan to keep my civic forever though. But for a savings of maybe 1500 why go for the sport in manual when you can get a si?
Sponsored