Kenshin737

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Hi guys,

I just bought a 2019 Civic Si this year - a few days ago, in fact, and I was thrilled to find out that it runs Android 4.2.2 ... very happy with my decision. (Amongst other things, this car is a blast to drive.)

I was overjoyed when I learned I could hack the system and install the Honda Autohack. I followed the procedure to unlock the browser (which worked) but I am hitting a brick wall. No matter what website I try going to, it says "Unable to load website", even though I'm connected to WiFi.

I have verified with my iPhone and other devices that the paired WiFi is indeed working - I can connect to any website, and it comes right up. Problem with the Android web browser (in the car) is the "unable to load website" message comes up almost immediately.

I have checked DNS settings in the WiFi connection, even modified it to use Google's DNS. It still fails. Even when going to my router web address, it also fails. I'm thinking that Honda may have become privy to the hacks, and has put in protection to make it so that even WiFi browser lookups fail.

I've tried using USB to load Chrome and Firefox, but alas, as all have reported, I cannot install the browser.

I'm kinda stuck. I can still use Apple CarPlay, and can tether the stuff using my MiFi connection I just bought from T-Mobile. However, I can't load the apps onto the head unit that I want, so I don't have to rely on my car.

Any thoughts or helpful suggestions would be wonderful. Kinda scratching my head here, as I'm pretty good with these sorts of things - after all, I am a software developer. :)

Thanks!
-- Ken
Sponsored

dangerz

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
I have a 19 SI and rooted it. Sounds like an issue with your hotspot.

Try connecting through the Android settings screen instead of the Honda settings widget.

OP
OP

Kenshin737

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
I have a 19 SI and rooted it. Sounds like an issue with your hotspot.

Try connecting through the Android settings screen instead of the Honda settings widget.
Do I still need to put the device in Development mode?

FWIW, my device is version 1.F1A3.90 ... not sure if this makes a difference. Got my car from Huggins Honda, BTW.

dangerz

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
Do I still need to put the device in Development mode?

FWIW, my device is version 1.F1A3.90 ... not sure if this makes a difference. Got my car from Huggins Honda, BTW.
Oh nice.. I got mine from Vandergriff. Which color did you get?

It doesn't need to be in development mode. I just remember for mine that I had to connect to WiFi through the Android settings instead if the Honda widget.

OP
OP

Kenshin737

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Oh nice.. I got mine from Vandergriff. Which color did you get?

It doesn't need to be in development mode. I just remember for mine that I had to connect to WiFi through the Android settings instead if the Honda widget.
Sounds good. Actually, got rid of my old Mazda 3 Lease, and got into a Civic lease.

It's the electric blue color - my favorite color. Gonna baby this car, second Honda I've ever owned, don't miss the VTEC at all.

I'll try through the Android settings instead of the Honda widget. I figured that might have been part of the issue.

DRuby

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
Hi guys,

I just bought a 2019 Civic Si this year - a few days ago, in fact, and I was thrilled to find out that it runs Android 4.2.2 ... very happy with my decision. (Amongst other things, this car is a blast to drive.)

I was overjoyed when I learned I could hack the system and install the Honda Autohack. I followed the procedure to unlock the browser (which worked) but I am hitting a brick wall. No matter what website I try going to, it says "Unable to load website", even though I'm connected to WiFi.

I have verified with my iPhone and other devices that the paired WiFi is indeed working - I can connect to any website, and it comes right up. Problem with the Android web browser (in the car) is the "unable to load website" message comes up almost immediately.

I have checked DNS settings in the WiFi connection, even modified it to use Google's DNS. It still fails. Even when going to my router web address, it also fails. I'm thinking that Honda may have become privy to the hacks, and has put in protection to make it so that even WiFi browser lookups fail.

I've tried using USB to load Chrome and Firefox, but alas, as all have reported, I cannot install the browser.

I'm kinda stuck. I can still use Apple CarPlay, and can tether the stuff using my MiFi connection I just bought from T-Mobile. However, I can't load the apps onto the head unit that I want, so I don't have to rely on my car.

Any thoughts or helpful suggestions would be wonderful. Kinda scratching my head here, as I'm pretty good with these sorts of things - after all, I am a software developer. :)

Thanks!
-- Ken
Hi Ken,

There is another thread with the complaints about AndroidAuto's map and directions. The turn instructions take up half the screen.

I would love to use Google Drive instead, without the auto installing AndroidAuto. Please let me know if you happen to find a solution.

Thanks

dangerz

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
Sounds good. Actually, got rid of my old Mazda 3 Lease, and got into a Civic lease.

It's the electric blue color - my favorite color. Gonna baby this car, second Honda I've ever owned, don't miss the VTEC at all.

I'll try through the Android settings instead of the Honda widget. I figured that might have been part of the issue.
Blue SI? I almost bought that exact one. Just decided to go with black last minute. When I was gonna get that blue one, it was still on the way.

OP
OP

Kenshin737

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Well guys, I bricked it.

I went into "Reset factory settings" to try and start over from scratch, and now it shows a keypad with a set of numbers. I cannot turn off the unit, cannot reboot it. I enter a number, and it says "Incorrect Pin".

Oh well. I'm hoping I'm not out $1K for a new head unit. :dance:

Knew I should never have tried this. :(

dangerz

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
Well guys, I bricked it.

I went into "Reset factory settings" to try and start over from scratch, and now it shows a keypad with a set of numbers. I cannot turn off the unit, cannot reboot it. I enter a number, and it says "Incorrect Pin".

Oh well. I'm hoping I'm not out $1K for a new head unit. :dance:

Knew I should never have tried this. :(
Damn sorry man.. it's gotta be recoverable. Maybe someone has that number?

OP
OP

Kenshin737

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Damn sorry man.. it's gotta be recoverable. Maybe someone has that number?
Yeah, the dealer should have the serial number that I need (at the very least) so I can get the recovery pin. If not, I can take it to a local place in Round Rock and have it done. If they say it'll cost $1K to replace it, I'll say "take the car back" :D

amxandy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Yeah, the dealer should have the serial number that I need (at the very least) so I can get the recovery pin. If not, I can take it to a local place in Round Rock and have it done. If they say it'll cost $1K to replace it, I'll say "take the car back" :D
The number is in your owners manual.

OP
OP

Kenshin737

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
http://owners.honda.com/

If you scroll down to the bottom, there's a link that gives you your code when you enter your VIN.
Okay, so here's the scoop.

If you reset your car radio to factory defaults while the car is in accessory mode, the car radio will assume that the car has been stolen, and is asking for an "anti-theft ID code" to reenable itself. You can clear this status by simply starting up the car and driving around.

On a second note, it appears I did have to reset the system to factory settings, as the browser was somehow misconfigured (or intentionally locked out), preventing my system from being hacked. After doing this, the browser immediately worked, and I was able to start up autohack.org/root, and the system then became rooted, and all was well in Ken's world.

So, if anyone is having problems hacking their head units, I suggest a system factory reset, drive the car around, it'll clear itself and re-enable theft protection, and will then reset the radio and all settings. Once this is done, use WiFi from the Android Settings, not from Honda's Settings. Once done, the browser should immediately work.

You can verify that the browser works: type a word, and you'll see the auto-complete/suggestion bar show up with words. If that does not show up, the system is not connected to the net.

Hope this helps those who have problems!
Sponsored