2019 Civic Hatchback EX. Native UI on infotainment center overlapping Apple CarPlay UI when song is

ohokthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic hatchback ex
title cut off sorry, when song is changed

I hope I’m describing this correctly, when I had my 2016 civic ex I almost exclusively used CarPlay for all functions and never had this issue. In the 2019 when switching songs a small bar will appear along the top also displaying the audio source, song name, and climate if it’s on.

here is a picture of what I’m seeing

Any ideas?

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 Civic Hatchback EX. Native UI on infotainment center overlapping Apple CarPlay UI when song is ESecDL7
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

ohokthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic hatchback ex
Small update for anyone that comes across this. I've called Honda and went to a service center over the weekend and apparently this is just how it is now. Strangely though this only happens with the steering wheel controls and not when actually using the touch screen.

OP
OP

ohokthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic hatchback ex
Sorry for the bump but this is driving me crazy and I refuse to believe this is just how things are now.

Would anyone with a 2019 and an Iphone mind testing out changing songs in carplay to see if the same bar appears at the top of the screen? It only happens when using the steering wheel controls and but will cover any screen currently showing including the lanewatch camera and navigation.

thank you in advance

N-Kryptic

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si 4 Door
Country flag
Sorry for the bump but this is driving me crazy and I refuse to believe this is just how things are now.

Would anyone with a 2019 and an Iphone mind testing out changing songs in carplay to see if the same bar appears at the top of the screen? It only happens when using the steering wheel controls and but will cover any screen currently showing including the lanewatch camera and navigation.

thank you in advance
Happens in my 19 as well but for android auto I think its the way it handles the steering wheel controls not much you can do about it I assume.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
First where is your temperature?

Second why have you not upgraded to Android Auto? :p

Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
First where is your temperature?

Second why have you not upgraded to Android Auto? :p
The HVAC is off.

We're not here to debate Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, they're both great.

I kind of wish the HVAC info appeared at the top of the screen even with Apple CarPlay/Android auto on. But not like this.

Just a first world problem I guess.

OP
OP

ohokthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic hatchback ex
Happens in my 19 as well but for android auto I think its the way it handles the steering wheel controls not much you can do about it I assume.

It sounds awful but i do feel better knowing this isn't just happening to me.

I called Honda again and apparently the tech line people there were now aware of the issue because whomever I spoke to originally was telling the others about it. They were adamant that this shouldn't be happening but I worry that not enough people have called to bring the issue up so they're all still in the dark about what to do. I was able to send them a picture and video of it happening and they told me to try the service center again and request a diagnostic test.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
The the overlay stay on top the entire time. Or just a short time after you change songs?

N-Kryptic

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have run into the same minor annoyance on my 2019. Didn't have this issue on 2018. This happens with Android Auto as well, not just Apple CarPlay.
Honestly it dosent bother me anymore, like it's not like ur staring at the screen while driving right? Lol

OP
OP

ohokthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic hatchback ex
Honestly it dosent bother me anymore, like it's not like ur staring at the screen while driving right? Lol

you're definitely right that it's low on the annoying totem pole, but still!

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Just don’t expect any changes or fixes from Honda’s end.
For the past few years they’ve done one update per model year with the launch of each car, and that is all.

If you aren’t aware updates must be done by the dealer.

So it is what it is.
You can call them all you want but most likely you’ll just need to learn to live with it.

thill123919

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I know this is an older thread - but I traded in my 2016 Touring Coupe for a 2019 Touring Sedan and it does this. It's not that big of a deal, but it is really annoying. After I change the song, the buttons on CarPlay like "back" or "now playing" at the top of the screen are covered up and you have to wait. I'm grateful for the volume knob and physical fan controls, but now this is driving me crazy lol

N-Kryptic

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I know this is an older thread - but I traded in my 2016 Touring Coupe for a 2019 Touring Sedan and it does this. It's not that big of a deal, but it is really annoying. After I change the song, the buttons on CarPlay like "back" or "now playing" at the top of the screen are covered up and you have to wait. I'm grateful for the volume knob and physical fan controls, but now this is driving me crazy lol
I find if I skip songs through the headunit right after it powers on and not touching any of the steering wheel controls at all it works without overlapping the UI, this is for AA though not car play but I'm sure its the same principle, I think it gets a screwy by the way it handles the UI from Carplay/AA that is meant to block notifications from other apps or even overlays from other apps, but it has to allow the menu bar up top because it has the info for the HVAC that displays when you turn up or down the fan speed and since it also shows the song title through that menu bar on other apps it has to display it, one way I see that you can fix it is to run something like tasker that disables notification for the audio stream when AA or carplay is running.

thill123919

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I find if I skip songs through the headunit right after it powers on and not touching any of the steering wheel controls at all it works without overlapping the UI, this is for AA though not car play but I'm sure its the same principle, I think it gets a screwy by the way it handles the UI from Carplay/AA that is meant to block notifications from other apps or even overlays from other apps, but it has to allow the menu bar up top because it has the info for the HVAC that displays when you turn up or down the fan speed and since it also shows the song title through that menu bar on other apps it has to display it, one way I see that you can fix it is to run something like tasker that disables notification for the audio stream when AA or carplay is running.
By "through the headunit" do you mean just hitting the skip button on the touchscreen while in the now playing view? I find that when I skip either that way or from the steering wheel the notification still overlaps the UI.

Can you elaborate on tasker? I assume that would be installed directly onto the nav unit? How would one go about doing that?

Thanks for the info!
Sponsored