2019+ Civic dome lights different than 16-18?

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
I was trying to replace my dome/map lights but this metal piece is stopping me from taking the bulb out. The first screenshot is from PhongVLG's video when he did it on his 2018 FC1 and him and Chris Lowpes' car (his might be 2017) didn't have this metal cover thing.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019+ Civic dome lights different than 16-18? 29196400-CFD5-4417-BD18-81C030A9B7AE

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019+ Civic dome lights different than 16-18? EF0F60BE-AA64-4CDF-B11B-66A459D31C81

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019+ Civic dome lights different than 16-18? EDEE4B82-E81A-4919-A704-519B44FE8AEA

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My 2020 EX hatch didn't have that. I took the cover off and pulled the bulb out.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Interesting. Looks like a heat shield or reflector to disperse the light better. Or both. But looking at the pic, i don’t see why you wouldn't be able to pinch the bulb and yank straight down.

OP
OP
MutatedMango

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
Interesting. Looks like a heat shield or reflector to disperse the light better. Or both. But looking at the pic, i don’t see why you wouldn't be able to pinch the bulb and yank straight down.
Hm that's what I was trying for a while but I was scared I was going to break it. Tried wiggling it too and it felt stuck in there real good. I'll try again tomorrow with something more grippy

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Hm that's what I was trying for a while but I was scared I was going to break it. Tried wiggling it too and it felt stuck in there real good. I'll try again tomorrow with something more grippy
These mini bulbs have flimsy little wires on them. It could be bent up and snagged inside the part that holds it in place.

It doesn’t look like that metal shield was intended to be removed without really bending it to hell. If you end up still not being able to wiggle the bulb out, take that big screw out and pull the whole assembly down and see if you can disconnect it from the wiring harness. You might be able to get a better look at what is going on without causing damage.

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
Did you ever get the bulbs out? I was able to get the driver's side out easily with my hand but I tried and tried and could not get out the passenger side bulb. As you said, I'm afraid I'm going to break it if I squeeze too hard.

OP
OP
MutatedMango

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
Did you ever get the bulbs out? I was able to get the driver's side out easily with my hand but I tried and tried and could not get out the passenger side bulb. As you said, I'm afraid I'm going to break it if I squeeze too hard.
Yes I was able to and honestly there wasn't anything really different I did unfortunately. You just have to keep trying. I'd recommend cleaning it to get the oil from fingers off of the bulb and then using gloves or something to get a better grip at the base.

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
Yes I was able to and honestly there wasn't anything really different I did unfortunately. You just have to keep trying. I'd recommend cleaning it to get the oil from fingers off of the bulb and then using gloves or something to get a better grip at the base.
Yeah I tried a nitrile glove and a napkin and never tried my bare hand to prevent the oils getting on it. I have a work glove with grippy rubber fingers that I will have try next.
Sponsored