2019 1.5L - Watch Your Oil Levels....

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Last edited:

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a CRV which seems to be more affected. The engine if it matters is Si apart from the connecting rods which are non Si. I have been changing oil every 5000km / 3000 miles more or less on all of my Hondas. I have never used the Honda oil, I am using Mobil 1 0w-30 full synthetic since the very first change. I ve always checked the oil on all my Hondas at ground level when the engine is completely cold and the oil is fully drained. I ve never had any issues with any engine( I ve owned 8 different Honda models so far and used over the years AMS OIL, BP and Mobil 1, various viscocities, usually 5-40 or 10-40 mainly on K series engines. BP was the best in my opinion) but with the L15 its the first time that I ve witnessed a slightly overfilled dipstick/dipsh1t.
All oil changes are performed along with oil filter change. During all changes the oil is properly drained and the new oil quantity is exactly 3.5 litres. I drive on a daily basis approximately 12 miles in the morning/25 minutes and 10 miles after work/45 minutes. I cold start idle for 1 minute sharp, as soon as revs drop I start driving. I follow this procedure religiously. I redline it daily and once every 2 weeks more or less I whip it relentlessly on highways and mountain roads. ECT varies from 83celcius/180F to 98celcius/208F(traffic, ambient temps over 75F.

With all that in mind I wouldnt think I 'd witness higher oil levels. It seems, IF I read the shitty orange stick correctly I am SLIGHTLY overfilled during winter time. To be honest, I am not concerned but not relaxed either. I ll be changing the oil again after 4000km instead of 5k. There is no oil dilution update here yet (mine is a MY19 so MAYBE it already has it).

My service manual says that I can also use 5w-30(other options are Honda 2.0/0-20 and 0-30. Would you guys think that it would make any difference?

Last edited:

dj2819

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Recently I had my 3rd oil change. This one had 6768 miles until the MM displays 5%. I had my dealership collect a sample for me to send to Blackstone. I just wanted to check if the engine had any signs of dilution.

Before the oil change I checked the levels and everything looked good. I noted in the test that I was concerned about the oil dilution as well as which type of oil used (still have the 1-year free oil changes and the invoices always say Mobil rather than the Honda oil).

TLDR The test came back positive with little signs of dilution and a recommendation to try 9000 miles.

I live in NYC and the winter had pretty cold days. However most of my driving is at least 13 miles so the engine is always warmed up. The parking garage guys do idle it and make short trips everyday. Hopefully it doesn't get worse over age. I plan on doing another test around the 50k and 100k to see how it compares.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2019 1.5L - Watch Your Oil Levels.... 19 CIVIC-200310 edit

djhartm

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Oh jesus, the Blackstone analysis...

Just got notice that as an owner of a 1.5 turbo, I am a participant in a class-action suit against Honda, with a proposed settlement hearing in July.

To those who said this is nonsense, you were wrong. Honda is reimbursing repair expenses and extending warranties.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Recently I had my 3rd oil change. This one had 6768 miles until the MM displays 5%. I had my dealership collect a sample for me to send to Blackstone. I just wanted to check if the engine had any signs of dilution.

Before the oil change I checked the levels and everything looked good. I noted in the test that I was concerned about the oil dilution as well as which type of oil used (still have the 1-year free oil changes and the invoices always say Mobil rather than the Honda oil).

TLDR The test came back positive with little signs of dilution and a recommendation to try 9000 miles.

I live in NYC and the winter had pretty cold days. However most of my driving is at least 13 miles so the engine is always warmed up. The parking garage guys do idle it and make short trips everyday. Hopefully it doesn't get worse over age. I plan on doing another test around the 50k and 100k to see how it compares.

19 CIVIC-200310 edit.jpg
That's a solid readout. You're probably aware that Flashpoint won't accurately forecast fuel dilution. But your wear metals & viscosity say that whatever level it's at, it's definitely not a problem.

Side note: You're probably also aware that exceeding MM recommendations could cause complications with warranty approval. Just reiterating for anyone else reading your report.

dj2819

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
[QUOTE="Side note: You're probably also aware that exceeding MM recommendations could cause complications with warranty approval. Just reiterating for anyone else reading your report.[/QUOTE]

I am just happy it was no where near the oil burn of my 2008 RAV4 (which burned >3qt) before Toyota decided to replace the piston rings.

Yeah I don't plan on exceeding what the MM reads out.
Sponsored