2019 1.5L - Watch Your Oil Levels....

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
1700 miles in 8 months? You gotta drive the thing and let it get to operating temp every once in awhile.

Go for a drive outside the city for a bit, let it warm up and give it the beans every once in awhile. Make it like a 50-100 mile drive. That gas will evaporate out of the oil.
THIS.

It's a gift and a curse that I drive as much as I do. Always on 25-65 mile highway trips and when I'm not doing that I'm having fun on winding roads. You gotta drive the thing.
Sponsored

djhartm

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
The only way, and I mean THE ONLY meaningful way you are going to actually know if oil dilution is an issue is by an oil analysis. You would need to follow the MM and at your next oil change take a sample while the oil is hot. If oil dilution is actually an issue, it will show up in the analysis.

Anything else is just speculation
This certainly is not true.

While analysis provides empirical proof, you can certainly observe the issue without.

We have a 2018 CR-V with the 1.5T. I am extremely anal about oil changes and monitoring. The level definitely rises over time, and there is a distinct and strong fuel odor in the oil. I should send the oil to Blackstone to be sure, as such dilution could have a significant impact on the well-being of the engine. I've raised this concern with Honda USA.

The 2.0T in my 2019 Type-R exhibits no such behavior.

Last edited:

dj2819

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I should start checking the oil levels on my 2019 1.5T, I have had only two oil changes done and haven't been paying attention (1 year free oil changes at the dealer) and its getting colder here in NYC. However I drive at least 15 miles every time I take it out , not sure if that means if it is diluting the oil it is getting burnt off.

Do you guys know if the Honda techs will collect oil if you provide them the Blackstone collection?

Not sure if anyone experienced this but I had my oil life hit 15% remaining at 4500 miles on the dot. I think the first oil change it preset to be 5000 miles.

Jervic

First Name
Jeramy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport hatchback
Country flag
My 19 civic hatchback sport,OLM of 30% with 3200 miles, measured 5 quart out.At around 5200miles OLM at 50% changed it again,almost 5 quart out not see increasing amount? Look like 3k oil change that I will do for now.City driving and cold,will try to use on above 55 mph trip.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
This certainly is not true.

While analysis provides empirical proof, you can certain observe the issue without.

We have a 2018 CR-V with the 1.5T. I am extremely anal about oil changes and monitoring. The level definitely rises over time, and there is a distinct and strong fuel odor in the oil. I should send the oil to Blackstone to be sure, as such dilution could have a significant impact on the well-being of the engine. I've raised this concern with Honda USA.

The 2.0T in my 2019 Type-R exhibits no such behavior.
Unfortunately, using any other method is speculation and opinion. While I respect people's opinions, any oil expert will tell you that by looking at oil and smelling it does not tell you the true state the oil is in. When I changed my Si's oil (for the second time) at 7K miles (20 percent left on the MM) of extremely hard driving in temperatures ranging from 115 degrees F to below 30 degrees F, in both high speed driving as well as lots of stop and go traffic over 6 months, the oil was black and had a strong smell of fuel. Just by that observation alone the oil seemed like I should have changed it a long time ago, but analysys from Blackstone labs showed the oil was in excellent condition, had only moderate fuel dilution (1 percent) and could have gone another 3K before changing.

Let me say a couple of things. Modern Synthetic oil is designed to handle issues from modern engines, including fuel dilution from Di. Yes, fuel dilution was and possibly still is a problem with some vehicles, but the only way to ascertain if it is a problem is 1) The vehicle manufacture states it's a problem and 2) oil analysis from a respected oil lab shows it's a problem thru analyzing the sample sent to them.

Smelling your oil, judging it by its color, or even witnessing some rise in the oil level is not the way to judge if there is a problem. The exception would be coolant or the smell of coolant in the oil, or if the oil is foaming or smells burnt, or has become very thick (like honey or syrup). Another exception would be finding pieces of metal. Then I would be concerned

djhartm

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Unfortunately, using any other method is speculation and opinion. While I respect people's opinions, any oil expert will tell you that by looking at oil and smelling it does not tell you the true state the oil is in. When I changed my Si's oil (for the second time) at 7K miles (20 percent left on the MM) of extremely hard driving in temperatures ranging from 115 degrees F to below 30 degrees F, in both high speed driving as well as lots of stop and go traffic over 6 months, the oil was black and had a strong smell of fuel. Just by that observation alone the oil seemed like I should have changed it a long time ago, but analysys from Blackstone labs showed the oil was in excellent condition, had only moderate fuel dilution (1 percent) and could have gone another 3K before changing.

Let me say a couple of things. Modern Synthetic oil is designed to handle issues from modern engines, including fuel dilution from Di. Yes, fuel dilution was and possibly still is a problem with some vehicles, but the only way to ascertain if it is a problem is 1) The vehicle manufacture states it's a problem and 2) oil analysis from a respected oil lab shows it's a problem thru analyzing the sample sent to them.

Smelling your oil, judging it by its color, or even witnessing some rise in the oil level is not the way to judge if there is a problem. The exception would be coolant or the smell of coolant in the oil, or if the oil is foaming or smells burnt, or has become very thick (like honey or syrup). Another exception would be finding pieces of metal. Then I would be concerned
Honda has publicly acknowledged the issue.

Oil levels dont simply rise appreciably on their own. Owners observing this phenomenon in the 1.5T should act accordingly.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
agreed

i am glad i got a 2.0
Oil dilution is an issue with all DI engines. If your 2.0L has di, then you will have fuel dilution to some extent. That being said, I would disagree with the statement that "Honda does not have it figured out". The fuel dilution issue specifically affected people in cold climates that drove their cars less than 10 miles at a time. Their engines never got a chance to reach operating temp (212 degrees F), which would allow the oil to get hot enough to burn off the excess fuel that got into the oil

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda has publicly acknowledged the issue.

Oil levels dont simply rise appreciably on their own. Owners observing this phenomenon in the 1.5T should act accordingly.
That is why I mentioned that as being one of the criteria. Honda also publicly said they fixed the issue. If they actually did not fix it, then it is on them

djhartm

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Oil dilution is an issue with all DI engines. If your 2.0L has di, then you will have fuel dilution to some extent. That being said, I would disagree with the statement that "Honda does not have it figured out". The fuel dilution issue specifically affected people in cold climates that drove their cars less than 10 miles at a time. Their engines never got a chance to reach operating temp (212 degrees F), which would allow the oil to get hot enough to burn off the excess fuel that got into the oil
It's likely affecting our 1.5T. The oil level rises over time after each change, and we are in a temperate location and always drive sufficiently to allow the engine to reach full operating temp.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
who cares?

thats not an excuse, or shouldn't be,

you cant tell people buying a brand new vehicle that they must drive the car more then 10 miles every trip to avoid engine problems.....thats rediculous, and nonsense,

if a salesman ever said that to me, i would leave the dealership immediately
I agree with you. Honda claims to have fixed it. If they did not, than that is on them. They should have done what Toyota and Lexus has done, use both Pi and Di, which would also address a potential carbon build up issue

djhartm

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
who cares?

you cant tell people buying a brand new vehicle that they must drive the car more then 10 miles every trip to avoid engine problems.....thats rediculous, and nonsense,

who cares?

The last thing I will say on this topic is that in my 40 or so years of motoring experience, *most* engines, whether DI, SFI. or even carbureted, *consume* oil through blowby and other effects of IC engines. The 1.5T is the only engine where I've consistently observed the oil level rising over time. *Something* is getting into the oiling system, and it isn't coolant.

As mentioned, the 2.0T in my 2019 Type-R does not experience this.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The last thing I will say on this topic is that in my 40 or so years of motoring experience, *most* engines, whether DI, SFI. or even carbureted, *consume* oil through blowby and other effects of IC engines. The 1.5T is the only engine where I've consistently observed the oil level rising over time. *Something* is getting into the oiling system, and it isn't coolant.

As mentioned, the 2.0T in my 2019 Type-R does not experience this.
I am only guessing here, but I think one of the reasons you see this issue mainly in the 1.5T engine is because first of all, it's the most widely used engine (most sold engine), and it's being asked to do more, more efficiently. In other words, give me more power, but use less gas. It's also running at much higher compression than it's 2.0 siblings

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Audi A3 Quattro, 2020 Volkswagen Tiguan
Country flag
Easier said than done with 0-weight oil and an unreadable dipstick...

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
That brings up a good question. Should we be checking the levels when it’s warmed up or when the engine is cold? I’ve never really given that much thought. I usually change the oil and let it run for about 5 minutes to let the filter fill up and get the oil moved through the engine then check and top it off. But the engine still isn’t really warmed all the way up at this time. But on my 2.0 the level stays on the mark. But on my 1.5t it tends to go up a bit. I do them both the same way. :dunno:
Oil should be checked when warm, after driving at least 5-7 miles. As mentioned earlier, varying oil levels isn't indicative of a problem. But something that should be monitored. Overnight and after repeated cold starts, oil level may rise due to both fuel and condensation. Both conditions are reversed after driving lean on a warm motor for several miles, usually while cruising.

Excessive cold starts/short trips could theoretically raise oil level a tad. But the MM accounts for this condition, causing oil change code to occur as early as every 2.8-3K miles. And this motor can reportedly operate up to 2 cm over the limit.

Last edited:

2ndCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 civic si
Country flag
1700 miles in 8 months? You gotta drive the thing and let it get to operating temp every once in awhile.

Go for a drive outside the city for a bit, let it warm up and give it the beans every once in awhile. Make it like a 50-100 mile drive. That gas will evaporate out of the oil.
I agree you need to take your car out at least monthly for a longer drive and actually let it get to operating temp. If you're constantly running cold you're definitely not helping the oil dilution issue. My commute is a short and all city driving, but I make it a point to do some longer trips every few days.
Sponsored