2018 vs 2021 Type R Impressions

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
having the same part number doesn’t necessarily mean that they’re the same. It could simply mean that the new design supersedes the old one.

https://hondanews.com/en-US/release...-updates-with-arrival-of-2019-coupe-and-sedan

“Also included on Civic Touring are LED headlights that have been redesigned for a longer and wider beam.
the si and the base civic actually has the redesigned headlights with the black housing.
The CTR has the same headlamps as the old ones.

why? i have no idea why they did that.
Sponsored

wewong

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
They didn’t upgrade the R, you’re incorrect.

Part numbers exist for a reason and the same part number doesn’t have two different parts. If this were the case why bother having part numbers at all?

Facts are facts and if you don’t want to accept them you’re simply an idiot.

Lastly, nowhere in the article you provided is the Type R mentioned.
Now after some digging, I stand corrected. I always assume the LED headlights are the same across Touring and Type R and that’s not the case.

However the brightness of the headlights on the new car was obvious for me, pretty sure it wasn’t a placebo effect. The only possible explanation I have is that the lights on my old car were pitted from all the highway driving and that’s the reason I noticed the difference.

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
Now for my impressions:

I am really shocked how much I noticed the difference in the suspension, shifter, and brakes right away. It just felt more put together in every way. The suspension seems a little bit more compliant than I remember. Even the steering feels like it has a tad more feedback. Not that the shifter needed much improvement, but they did manage to really improve on the feel.

One of my favorite improvements is the color! The Boost Blue is just really Stunning! I love it!
I traded my 2017 for a 2021 LE. As soon as I drove it off the lot, the engine felt smoother. I was expecting a harsher ride because it’s a LE, but surprisingly I found the ride to be slightly more comfortable, maybe it’s the higher sampling rate on the shocks. The headlights were a lot better than the 2017 - lights are more focused and less glare above the cutoff. Shifter is a bit less notchy than the 2017, but there were at least 3 times when I couldn’t shift into 1st at the stop light. I had to shift it into 2nd then back to 1st in order to get into gear. Didn’t feel much difference in the brakes though. The biggest problem I had was with the infotainment system. Love the added volume knob, but it crashed on my multiple times while using CarPlay. Removing Bluetooth pairing had made it way better but I still experienced the occasional crash. The system on my 2017 never crashed even once throughout the 4 years of ownership. So far I’m enjoying the car, and loving the new color.
In different reviews they say that for 2020 LE/regular model the +R mode is actually stiffer. You can even see from the Norschleife lap that the car is shaking more than when the previous model was tested.
https://www.largus.fr/actualite-aut...ted-edition-deja-au-nurburgring-10383393.html

Speaking about the special colors: Boost Blue, Yellow...
I saw them at the dealership, next to the normal colors. Yes they are more "special", rare colors (like the primer grey "fashion" that Audi started then followed Type R Sonic Grey). But rareness aside, I think that the regular Type R colors - especially metallic ones(Aegean Blue, PMM), Rally Red - reveal better the car lines and have a more popping/wow effect. Boost blue is interesting since you don't see it often but it does not give that wow effect, LE Yellow (which is a bit of a pale shade and low gloss) is also interesting(since is rare) but again nothing wow as color itself.
Of course the above is just personal taste.

Auto Express Track time:
CTR 2020 - 47.10 ; CTR 2017 - 45.80

The track road surface was in worse condition during 2020 model test. Hard to say which would be faster in same road conditions.

Speaking about the face-lift, the biggest letdown for me is the gas particulate filter. Basically one more thing to choke the engine exhaust sound. If it wasn't choked enough...
And ofc I dislike the speakers sound enhancement. This current/fashion trend of progress through fakeness/pretending. Cars pretending sportiness/luxury, food pretending to be traditional/natural but being full of chemicals/over processed. Clothes pretending to be bio/eco but they generate just as much pollution...examples could go on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nytyper

nytyper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
In different reviews they say that for 2020 LE/regular model the +R mode is actually stiffer. You can even see from the Norschleife lap that the car is shaking more than when the previous model was tested.
https://www.largus.fr/actualite-aut...ted-edition-deja-au-nurburgring-10383393.html

Speaking about the special colors: Boost Blue, Yellow...
I saw them at the dealership, next to the normal colors. Yes they are more "special", rare colors (like the primer grey "fashion" that Audi started then followed Type R Sonic Grey). But rareness aside, I think that the regular Type R colors - especially metallic ones(Aegean Blue, PMM), Rally Red - reveal better the car lines and have a more popping/wow effect. Boost blue is interesting since you don't see it often but it does not give that wow effect, LE Yellow (which is a bit of a pale shade and low gloss) is also interesting(since is rare) but again nothing wow as color itself.
Of course the above is just personal taste.

The track road surface was in worse condition during 2020 model test. Hard to say which would be faster in same road conditions.

Speaking about the face-lift, the biggest letdown for me is the gas particulate filter. Basically one more thing to choke the engine exhaust sound. If it wasn't choked enough...
And ofc I dislike the speakers sound enhancement. This current/fashion trend of progress through fakeness/pretending. Cars pretending sportiness/luxury, food pretending to be traditional/natural but being full of chemicals/over processed. Clothes pretending to be bio/eco but they generate just as much pollution...examples could go on.

Color and looks are subjective so I respect that. For me personally this is the kind of blue I always wanted in a car. It kind of reminds me a little of the laguna seca blue on the M3 a little bit. I have been wanting a BMW in laguna seca since I was a kid and saw it on the 2001 M3. Again I respect your opinion but for people it does pop for me and I am getting a lot more attention than I did in lets say my WR Blue WRX.

Dude

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 type R
Country flag
lol i live 10 miles from dch kay honda, when i called them in january about it they wanted 58k, guess they got tired of it taking up space on their lot. congratulations.

OP
OP
nytyper

nytyper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
lol i live 10 miles from dch kay honda, when i called them in january about it they wanted 58k, guess they got tired of it taking up space on their lot. congratulations.

Haha I saw that when I searched this forum. I am quite surprised that a dealer that can ask that much over sticker would end up being a good experience once they reduced it to MSRP. I was thinking they would try to pull some last minute shenanigans but everything went really smooth.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Agreed.

This is basically an AP1 vs AP2 conversation.

The main differences you'll notice are the shifter with knob and the MY20+ pads which will increase the pedal feel. The MY17 - 19 is a more twitchy setup and if you want a more compliant suspension look at MY20+ or the associated parts.

Lastly, the 'upgraded' radiator with upper grill only provides a 1 lap improvement before going into limp mode versus a MY17 - 19 on hot days.
Well as an AP2 owner I’d have to disagree.

The AP2 had different engine, diff, springs, rim tires sizes, front and rear bumper, exhaust tips...

To me the 2020 is like an AP1.2

Maybe one can compare the LE as an upgrade from an AP2 to a CR. Though that came with a hardtop.

Deleted member 44294

Honda LOVEs all of you.

The transmission is the same, it's literally $200 worth of parts. Glad you all like the 'upgrade' but it's literally $2000 worth of parts. As far as the comparison goes it's not close to the S2K tranny. The R tranny is far more notchy even in MY20+ form while having a longer throw.

The MY20 and up cars aren't as different as you all are making it. It's simply more refined for daily duties and that's it. :lol:.
One of the major reasons I got a 20 rather than a leftover 19 last year it was the 20 has a different final set of gears it’s a steeper gear so you get better pull on the freeway or from the launch

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Welcome back! You now have two of my favorite cars. Mustangs may seduce you with their power numbers, but will never handle as well as a CTR, let alone the Porsche. Interesting to read that you felt that big a difference in the 2021 performance.

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
Owner of both a 2017 & now a 2020... yes this car brakes a little better and handles the twists at a higher lateral G reading (according to the onboard G meter anyway lol) =) Supposedly the 2020+ has forged internals? I don't know... 2017 would break lose ~ 1 - 1.05 g's ... same road and same conditions the 2020 is ~ 1.15 - 1.20 area... driver varies =)

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
You're prolly gonna get a lot of hate but I agree. I feel like the way some people describe the difference is a placebo affect. In no way is the revised MY a complety new driving experience. Better and more refined, probably, but its not the be all end all.

It's the same way how some people feel their car drives better/more smooth after a car wash...
There’s a long running joke of how Safari on the Mac is smoother whenever any iOS or Mac update happens. Safari is not smoother. Your phone‘s camera isn’t crispier.Your car isn’t smoother.

At best, you’re feeling the difference between a broken in car with thousands of miles, and a zero mile nice and tight one.

Psychology is amazing.