2018 vs 2021 Type R Impressions

nytyper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Background: I am not new to the forum but I haven't really been that active on here when I first purchased my first Type R. In January of 2019 I had a 2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder and I needed a fun practical car to drive as my daily driver as I drove about 30-35k miles a year at that time. I ended up getting a Black 2018 Type R. It was replacing my Audi RS3, long story on that. Anyway, I was really impressed on how much fun the 2018 was, and this is coming from someone that owned some serious drivers cars in the past, this is saying a lot. Fast forward to last November, I had about 57k miles on my 2018 and I had an itch to trade it in for a 2020 Mustang GT auto. That was a big mistake as the Mustang was just not a car for me. It was fast and had a really nice engine but the handling left a lot to be desired. Well within record time for a new daily driver for me, about 3 months later, I picked up a 2021 Boost Blue Type R. I couldn't be happier. I also picked up a 2021 718 Spyder about 2 weeks ago so this car really compliments that in the garage.

Now for my impressions:

I am really shocked how much I noticed the difference in the suspension, shifter, and brakes right away. It just felt more put together in every way. The suspension seems a little bit more compliant than I remember. Even the steering feels like it has a tad more feedback. Not that the shifter needed much improvement, but they did manage to really improve on the feel. The weight of the shifter is great, I felt the previous version was just too light but they fixed that here. Its the second best manual shifter I have owned, only a little bit behind my Porsche which has the best shifter of any car IMHO. The motor feels strong and the powertrain feels a little better with putting the power down. Now for the additional creature comforts; since I drive a lot of miles and this is my daily, the new added LKAS and cruise control feature is really good. I have driven other Honda's as loaners and was disappointed. The steering surprisingly follows the marked lines pretty well. This car has really refined steering feel on the highway which makes me not want to use this feature anyway, but its nice to have on long drives. The alcantra steering wheel is a nice touch as well. I know people are worried about the wear and tear. But I usually just clean it often and treat it. I found that the leather steering wheel just felt too big to grip in my hands. The steering almost feels a little lighter because of the material. My last type R kept on getting nicked up and the leather dye started to come off so it did not wear well, so this is a nice touch for me. One of my favorite improvements is the color! The Boost Blue is just really Stunning! I love it!

Also a big shout out to DCH Kay Honda of Eatontown NJ for selling the car at MSRP and the super smooth process. They have another identical Boost Blue at Sticker if anyone is interested. Call (888) 719-5868. and ask for Mark.

Some Pics Below of the new Type R and my Mustang that I traded in. Also some bonus pictures of my new toy that I just picked up.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 vs 2021 Type R Impressions WhatsApp Image 2021-03-15 at 4.55.37 PM (1)

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 vs 2021 Type R Impressions WhatsApp Image 2021-03-15 at 4.55.37 PM (2)

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 vs 2021 Type R Impressions WhatsApp Image 2021-03-15 at 4.55.37 PM

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 vs 2021 Type R Impressions WhatsApp Image 2021-02-15 at 4.14.23 PM

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 vs 2021 Type R Impressions WhatsApp Image 2021-03-10 at 10.09.29 PM (1)

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 vs 2021 Type R Impressions WhatsApp Image 2021-03-10 at 10.09.29 PM (2)

Bobbyt

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
I picking up a 2021 boost blue or 2021 white r tomorrow. I'm really leaning towards boost blue but need to see them in person. I'm coming from a black 19 r so I hope what you say is true. I'm not sure how I feel about the stering wheel for long term ware though ?

OP
OP
nytyper

nytyper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
I picking up a 2021 boost blue or 2021 white r tomorrow. I'm really leaning towards boost blue but need to see them in person. I'm coming from a black 19 r so I hope what you say is true. I'm not sure how I feel about the stering wheel for long term ware though ?
I was in the same boat. My black R was a pain to clean. Go with Boot Blue for sure!! In person it looks so good!

You can always swap out the steering wheel if it bothers you that much.

ians

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8, 2004 TSX, 2011 A4 Avant, 2013 S5, 2019 718 GTS
Country flag
Nice combo! Is your Spyder grind from 1st to 2nd? My old 718 GTS did that every once a while. And BTW, my GT4 allocation is confirmed so we both have a similar taste on car.

Bodhizefa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR and CBP CR-V
Country flag
I just saw a Boost Blue in person for the first time yesterday as I was driving my son home from daycare in my '19 R. It looked really good! In my area, I see a handful of R's per month (sometimes 1-3 per week if I am out driving more frequently), but this was my first Boost Blue sighting. Fun stuff, and congrats on the new R!

OP
OP
nytyper

nytyper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Nice combo! Is your Spyder grind from 1st to 2nd? My old 718 GTS did that every once a while. And BTW, my GT4 allocation is confirmed so we both have a similar taste on car.

My old one did in the beginning, not so much as time went on. The new one had a small hint but nothing noticeable. Yup we do have similar tastes :)

TboneR

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
Well it's nice of them selling at MSRP, back in 2017 they wanted $43K for a Type R.

Bobbyt

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
Sold my black 19 just picked up a 2021 boost blue transmission is way way improved. It feels like my old s2000 transmission!!!

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 vs 2021 Type R Impressions 20210318_210534

OP
OP
nytyper

nytyper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Sold my black 19 just picked up a 2021 boost blue transmission is way way improved. It feels like my old s2000 transmission!!!

20210318_210534.jpg
Wow congrats!! Saw some posts of people giving you a hard time. I think its not too crazy to upgrade as the 2021 will definitely be worth a little more as its 2 years newer with a nice amount of revisions. I also think boost blue will be in demand as it was only made for 2 model years. And its so great to hear from someone that had a S2000. I always heard the S2000 as being the benchmark for shifters. Like I said the only shifter that is better is Porsches GT shifters thats in my Spyder.

Bobbyt

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
Wow congrats!! Saw some posts of people giving you a hard time. I think its not too crazy to upgrade as the 2021 will definitely be worth a little more as its 2 years newer with a nice amount of revisions. I also think boost blue will be in demand as it was only made for 2 model years. And its so great to hear from someone that had a S2000. I always heard the S2000 as being the benchmark for shifters. Like I said the only shifter that is better is Porsches GT shifters thats in my Spyder.
Half the people giving me a hard time probably payed 5k over msrp.Im happy and am not upside down I owe 36k on a 2021 I could sell it tomorrow for 40k lol

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 CW Type R
Country flag
Honda LOVEs all of you.

The transmission is the same, it's literally $200 worth of parts. Glad you all like the 'upgrade' but it's literally $2000 worth of parts. As far as the comparison goes it's not close to the S2K tranny. The R tranny is far more notchy even in MY20+ form while having a longer throw.

The MY20 and up cars aren't as different as you all are making it. It's simply more refined for daily duties and that's it. :lol:.

Last edited:

whytfwontthiswork

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag
Honda LOVEs all of you.

The transmission is the same, it's literally $200 worth of parts. Glad you all like the 'upgrade' but it's literally $2000 worth of parts. As far as the comparison goes it's not close to the S2K tranny. The R tranny is far more notchy even in MY20+ form while having a shorter throw.

The MY20 and up cars aren't as different as you all are making it. It's simply more refined for daily duties and that's it. :lol:.
You're prolly gonna get a lot of hate but I agree. I feel like the way some people describe the difference is a placebo affect. In no way is the revised MY a complety new driving experience. Better and more refined, probably, but its not the be all end all.

It's the same way how some people feel their car drives better/more smooth after a car wash...

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 CW Type R
Country flag
You're prolly gonna get a lot of hate but I agree. I feel like the way some people describe the difference is a placebo affect. In no way is the revised MY a complety new driving experience. Better and more refined, probably, but its not the be all end all.

It's the same way how some people feel their car drives better/more smooth after a car wash...
Agreed.

This is basically an AP1 vs AP2 conversation.

The main differences you'll notice are the shifter with knob and the MY20+ pads which will increase the pedal feel. The MY17 - 19 is a more twitchy setup and if you want a more compliant suspension look at MY20+ or the associated parts.

Lastly, the 'upgraded' radiator with upper grill only provides a 1 lap improvement before going into limp mode versus a MY17 - 19 on hot days.
Sponsored