2018 Sport reliability vs. 2016 initial problems

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
The wife needs a new car, and we went to the Seattle Car Show this year, looked at all the cars, and to my surprise she really liked the Civic Sport Hatch. Unfortunately, she is also considering the Toyota iM.

I am OK with her getting the Civic Sport, but I have a few concerns because I watched the 2016 CivicX's roll out last year, and some of the early issues that occurred, I wouldn't be happy with. I'll just list a few issues that would be a no-go for us:

1. The glitchy Android-based infotainment system with no knob.
2. The car sometimes needing to be "rebooted"
3. The dash vent dropping down on hot days
4. The black trim on the Sport coming undone

My wife likes the Sport, which I believe still comes with a more basic radio that can be changed out, thereby resolving issue #1. She prefers Pioneer navigation units, and I like that we can swap out the HU every several years for an updated version.

Does issue #2 even occur in cars without the Android-based infotainment system? I vaguely remember the cars without Android being unlikely to have all the dash lights pop on? Also, maybe only a 2016 problem?

I have been reading about the new Accord and Ridgelines and there have been some complaints about those vehicles with Android having the same issues as what I saw sometimes occurring to a few 2016 CivicX owners. If in 2018, this is all sorted and/or the Sport avoids these issues, then great!

Thanks for any insights ya'll can share!
Sponsored

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
There are 2 trim level of the Sport Hatch. The basic Hatch Sport has the same audio unit as the LX model which doesnt have the Android-based infotainment system. The Sport Touring has the Android-based system.

I have a 2017 Sport Hatch, built on October 2016. I never experience any electronic issue. Though, My dash rattle abit once awhile and I have the CVT warm start grind noise occasionally (annoying but it is not harmful to the transmission in anyway according to Honda Document)

Any Mass produced Vehicle will have production defeat. I hope this help.

Last edited:

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
The vent thing drives me nuts on my early model 2016.

My interior panels make a lot of noise in the cold (they make a creaking sounds when you press on them), but my friend’s 2016 EX-T is solid as a rock so I dunno what gives there.

I would expect the droopy vents as I doubt they’ve affected that.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can't say anything about the Sport but I have the Sport Touring and haven't had any real issues yet so far.

Besides the basic Android Auto system sometimes locking up but all you need to do is to unplug your phone from the usb cable wait like 5 seconds and then re-plug in to restart AA and its good to go. I consider minor tech issues like this common thing just like your phone sometimes locks up and needs a random clear or refresh or a computer that needs a restart.

Not sure about vent drops as when I had my car it never went above 90 degrees in my area and when I put my heater on blast in my car I haven't had any issues with that.

The slight rubber trim/weather guards at the very top right corner of the driver door is slightly "peeled" by like maybe 0.5cm but its barely noticeable so its barely worth getting it fixed IMO.

Only issue is that for the Hatch, the black garnish in the back is on national back order so if you ever get that messed up you will wait for awhile. Think there is a forum member here that has been waiting since early September for his.

Martin Riggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
No complaints about the audio or black trim. The dash makes a little rattle or so, but it’s a Civic...

Train2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6M
Country flag
If it's the straight Sport Hatch with the base radio, you may want to check further about swapping out.
I want to replace mine with something with Navigation (ANYthing will have better sound) - but there's no kit yet.
If you know that, and you're going to do it anyway - that's cool - just thought I'd throw it out there.

In fact, I'm hoping I'm WRONG and someone can tell me there's a good upgrade route for me!
I knew going in that the infotainment was lame - but I wanted the Sport enough to put up with it...Honda really ought to have dealer-added options for things like that...I probably would have paid for an upgrade. And keyless start.

The wife needs a new car, and we went to the Seattle Car Show this year, looked at all the cars, and to my surprise she really liked the Civic Sport Hatch. Unfortunately, she is also considering the Toyota iM.

I am OK with her getting the Civic Sport, but I have a few concerns because I watched the 2016 CivicX's roll out last year, and some of the early issues that occurred, I wouldn't be happy with. I'll just list a few issues that would be a no-go for us:

1. The glitchy Android-based infotainment system with no knob.
2. The car sometimes needing to be "rebooted"
3. The dash vent dropping down on hot days
4. The black trim on the Sport coming undone

My wife likes the Sport, which I believe still comes with a more basic radio that can be changed out, thereby resolving issue #1. She prefers Pioneer navigation units, and I like that we can swap out the HU every several years for an updated version.

Does issue #2 even occur in cars without the Android-based infotainment system? I vaguely remember the cars without Android being unlikely to have all the dash lights pop on? Also, maybe only a 2016 problem?

I have been reading about the new Accord and Ridgelines and there have been some complaints about those vehicles with Android having the same issues as what I saw sometimes occurring to a few 2016 CivicX owners. If in 2018, this is all sorted and/or the Sport avoids these issues, then great!

Thanks for any insights ya'll can share!

curt d

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic sport hatch, 06 Cobalt LS, 08 C6 Vette
Country flag
You can toss any headunit in the Sport. I believe there was issues getting everything to work in the Sport Touring with aftermarket HU, but don’t quote me on that.

OP
OP

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
If it's the straight Sport Hatch with the base radio, you may want to check further about swapping out.
I want to replace mine with something with Navigation (ANYthing will have better sound) - but there's no kit yet.
If you know that, and you're going to do it anyway - that's cool - just thought I'd throw it out there.

In fact, I'm hoping I'm WRONG and someone can tell me there's a good upgrade route for me!
I knew going in that the infotainment was lame - but I wanted the Sport enough to put up with it...Honda really ought to have dealer-added options for things like that...I probably would have paid for an upgrade. And keyless start.
Yeah, you are wrong: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_12095...&awnw=g&awcr=106648188985&awdv=c&awug=9033394

http://www.civicx.com/threads/lx-radio-replacement-thread.2116/page-11

OP
OP

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
The slight rubber trim/weather guards at the very top right corner of the driver door is slightly "peeled" by like maybe 0.5cm but its barely noticeable so its barely worth getting it fixed IMO.

Only issue is that for the Hatch, the black garnish in the back is on national back order so if you ever get that messed up you will wait for awhile. Think there is a forum member here that has been waiting since early September for his.
All of the Preludes (1987, 1991 and 2001) I have had have the same peeling black over chrome trim as what has been posted about the CivicX. I wonder what the heck is wrong with Honda that they haven't come up with an alternative yet?

lzaffuto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX and 2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic
Country flag
The basic LX and Sport don't have many issues from what I've seen. Most issues are with the EX, Touring and Sport Touring models and the gadgets and gizmos they bring. If you can live without the bells and whistles you will have a much more pain-free ownership experience.
Sponsored