[2018 Sport] Noise when changing from reverse to drive

kwong93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
I am hearing a grinding noise when changing from reverse to drive, but this only occurs when the car hasn't been driven for a couple of hours. After driving for a short time I dont hear the noise when shifting from reverse to drive. I took it to the dealer to get it looked at, initially they thought it might be the transmission, but after inspecting further, they concluded it was normal. Car has around 500 miles. Here are two videos demonstrating the noise.

Has anyone else had this issue or know where it is coming from? This really doesn't sound normal to me.
Sponsored

2tango2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX- Lunar Silver
Country flag
I think mine does that sometimes. My Subaru Crosstrek with a CVT would do it on occasion as well. I think it is the noise of the CVT belts. Sounds more like a rubber stretch noise to me than a grinding (in both of those cars)

It sounds odd for sure but I don't think it is an issue

@that_1redcivic

First Name
Milly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (CVT)
Country flag
FINALLY!!! After searching forever on this forum I’ve found the noise my CVT makes as well. Does anyone have one clue what this could be from? OP same thing park to reverse only does it after car has been sitting after drives. Did it ever blow up or did you ever have any issues with it?

Ron21

First Name
Rom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I wanna know too. Any updates on this or anyone?

agunn13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX Civic Hatchback - Sonic Grey Pearl
Country flag
I had a very similar sound and it seemed to be coming from the rear of the vehicle. I though perhaps a motor or servo for the auto door locks (mine is programmed to lock upon shifting from park). Mine would only make the noise when shifting from Park into gear - drive or reverse. It did NOT make the noise when shifting back into park.

I had the dealer check it out at the last service and what I was told is that it is the fuel door actuator. Based on the timing and area that makes sense.

The actuator locks and unlocks the fuel door in unison with the driver's door when the vehicle is put in and out of gear, via remote, etc.

I am scheduled to have the actuator replaced next week and will report back if that does not fix the problem.
Sponsored