2018 Sport Hatch - The Good, Not So Good (so far)

cubsws2016

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 mustang gt
I figure if I trade out every three or four years, I'll be dead before I run out. :thumbsup:
i guess i am lucky, the ford and honda dealers near me have always treated me right, even though all cars have been modified in some way.
Sponsored

siczy

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Adapter and harnesses that are designated for a 2016 or 2017 model will work fine. Since you have a normal Sport hatchback (not the Touring version) you have a lot more freedom to modify the audio system because the A/C controls are NOT tied into it. Most any radio (in a car) is going to have ignition switched power.

If you are considering the "Phoenix" radio option I'd recommend a lot of research, it's a new product and I'm not sure how thoroughly it has been reviewed and tested.
will this one https://phoenixandroidradios.com/co...id-navigation-radio-for-honda-civic-2016-2017 work in the 18 hatch sport?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
i love mine and 99% of the negatives/complaints I've come across about the car are about things i couldn't care less about.

this car is just as fun to drive as my old Audi was - for a fraction of the cost. I'm also spending $50 a month on gas vs ~$200 for my previous car.

Love this car.

Almostfast

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Sport Touring
Country flag
I love the way the sport looks, and for the life of me I can't understand why it doesn't have any available options unless you go for the "too expensive for a civic" sport touring. Unfortunately sports are about all the dealers around me have.

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
All that extra tech BS just creates more potential for issues in my opinion

The braking/handling is incredible - that’s all I need.

Anyone that’s seen / been in my car can’t believe I got it for the price I did. It seriously is as fun to drive as my Audi was - for about half the cost.

OP
OP

FunkyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport, 2006 LX Sedan, 2000 DX Coupe
Country flag
All that extra tech BS just creates more potential for issues in my opinion

The braking/handling is incredible - that’s all I need.

Anyone that’s seen / been in my car can’t believe I got it for the price I did. It seriously is as fun to drive as my Audi was - for about half the cost.
Agreed...that's what I believe is the root of my problem, although the lack of urgency toward a resolution on Honda's part is what really galls me. When the car was right I absolutely loved it.

Hondu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring - Sonic Gray Pearl
Country flag
Agreed...that's what I believe is the root of my problem, although the lack of urgency toward a resolution on Honda's part is what really galls me. When the car was right I absolutely loved it.
So just so I understand your problem, your car was working perfectly fine until you tried using a USB thumb drive to listen to music, which gave you error messages? Then after continuing to use USB drives, your car started going dead and you could not start it? Or did you stop using the USB drives, but still had your car randomly go dead?

nunusguy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
i love mine and 99% of the negatives/complaints I've come across about the car are about things i couldn't care less about.

this car is just as fun to drive as my old Audi was - for a fraction of the cost. I'm also spending $50 a month on gas vs ~$200 for my previous car.

Love this car.
Same here ! OK so I've only had it a couple of months but love driving it. My wife also has a new Honda, well an Acura which is also a Honda right, but I enjoy driving my little Civic Hatch more than her car.

OP
OP

FunkyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So just so I understand your problem, your car was working perfectly fine until you tried using a USB thumb drive to listen to music, which gave you error messages? Then after continuing to use USB drives, your car started going dead and you could not start it? Or did you stop using the USB drives, but still had your car randomly go dead?
Car ran great but I discovered intermittent problems with reading files from a flash drive. Sometimes it worked fine, some times I received on-screen error messages. In some cases, after the error message appeared all radio functions were locked up until I shut off and restarted the car. I tried different sizes/types of drives, with and without extension cables, and couldn't pin down exactly why things were fine one day and not the next.

I scheduled a service visit for the USB problem, after which I was told there was no problem with the car but rather a faulty drive. Every single one of them was faulty, even though they worked in other cars, according to Honda. Or maybe it was the cable. Or corrupt files. They couldn't be sure what it was, but they were 100% confident it was my fault.

The following morning, I started the car and drove to the gas station. Tried to start it after filling up, NG. To be clear, the car doesn't 'go dead' on me while running, but it sometimes won't start - no power at all, no lights, horn, dash lights, etc. as if the battery were disconnected.

It's odd that the startup issues began after they fooled with the USB port, and perhaps it's entirely coincidental...I really have no way of knowing for sure until someone finds the solution, which seems impossible at this point.

I've had a meeting with a Honda rep who also seemed annoyed to be spending his time with me so that was pointless. I'm still after the dealer to put me in a new car or buy this one back from me, I expect that after the next failure I will have met the state's criteria for a lemon law claim and I can move on. I would have preferred to work this out with Honda before that happens so I could possibly consider their cars down the road. They prefer to stonewall me and drag this out, so fuck them. Never again.

Hondu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Car ran great but I discovered intermittent problems with reading files from a flash drive. Sometimes it worked fine, some times I received on-screen error messages. In some cases, after the error message appeared all radio functions were locked up until I shut off and restarted the car. I tried different sizes/types of drives, with and without extension cables, and couldn't pin down exactly why things were fine one day and not the next.

I scheduled a service visit for the USB problem, after which I was told there was no problem with the car but rather a faulty drive. Every single one of them was faulty, even though they worked in other cars, according to Honda. Or maybe it was the cable. Or corrupt files. They couldn't be sure what it was, but they were 100% confident it was my fault.

The following morning, I started the car and drove to the gas station. Tried to start it after filling up, NG. To be clear, the car doesn't 'go dead' on me while running, but it sometimes won't start - no power at all, no lights, horn, dash lights, etc. as if the battery were disconnected.

It's odd that the startup issues began after they fooled with the USB port, and perhaps it's entirely coincidental...I really have no way of knowing for sure until someone finds the solution, which seems impossible at this point.

I've had a meeting with a Honda rep who also seemed annoyed to be spending his time with me so that was pointless. I'm still after the dealer to put me in a new car or buy this one back from me, I expect that after the next failure I will have met the state's criteria for a lemon law claim and I can move on. I would have preferred to work this out with Honda before that happens so I could possibly consider their cars down the road. They prefer to stonewall me and drag this out, so fuck them. Never again.

Okay, but did you have a "faulty" (their terms of course) USB drive connected when the car wouldn't start, or did you stop using USB drives after Honda tried to diagnose the problem?

OP
OP

FunkyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Okay, but did you have a "faulty" (their terms of course) USB drive connected when the car wouldn't start, or did you stop using USB drives after Honda tried to diagnose the problem?
There has been a drive plugged in all the while but I stopped trying to access it (radio only) after the visit.

I'm not spending any more of my time trying to figure this out. As far as I'm concerned my responsibilities were met when I signed the check.

Hondu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There has been a drive plugged in all the while but I stopped trying to access it (radio only) after the visit.

I'm not spending any more of my time trying to figure this out. As far as I'm concerned my responsibilities were met when I signed the check.
No problem. Not trying to be an ass, but just wanted to know more about your issue.

OP
OP

FunkyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No problem. Not trying to be an ass, but just wanted to know more about your issue.
No offense taken. I wish it could be solved, and if the solution came from someone kind enough to post it here I'd accept it, offer thanks, and move on. Life is too short for nonsense!

midengine driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport , 2019 Buick Encore AWD, Sold 3800SC Fiero had a few Fieros
Country flag
I have about 380 miles on my Sport Hatch. I think my one of my biggest annoyances is that my wiper and signal controls do not illuminate when I turn my lights on. I mean I know I got close to the bare bones but it would have been nice.
I agree. My wifes similar Ford Focus Hatchback cost about the same BUT has more options and features.
Sponsored