2018 SLOW-MOVING ACCORDS

callmehandsum

First Name
Studmuffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si, BMW 540i, Chevy Spark EV, Civic LX
I have mixed feelings about the Accord. I think it's a good looking car, better looking than the Civic but not as unique looking. The Civic on the other hand, is a weird looking car, bordering on ugly yet absolutely distinctive. That is what I really like about the Civic. It helps that it has a nice profile, but so does the Accord so... I like the Accord, but I don't think it's an improvement over the Civic. Not in this generation at least. The only real reason I'd consider an Accord over the Civic is if I wanted more space and a better looking but more traditionally styled car. Oh and because of a volume button.

Don't even get me started on the Camry. Hideous hideous front end. Absolutely hideous. The rest is ok. IMO, the interior doesn't look as nice as the Accord's but I can't speak for materials. The Accord's materials are very similar to the Civic's, which are decent for the price point. I mean, geez, they're affordable but well-built family sedans. Lol. They're not meant to be special. Expectations have to be set accordingly.

I wonder if the reason sales are slow is because the previous Accord was also well liked and reviewed. Maybe people are not seeing a compelling enough reason to upgrade?

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
I went in wanting to buy an Accord sport 2.0t... I honestly could not get comfortable in it... sat in a Civic touring and said “yeah I’ll save myself the $10grand” and got the civic. Questionable styling on the Accord rear end also.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
YTD Sales

Camry 55,503
Civic 49,565
Accord 37,430

Reportedly 18% of Camry sales are to fleets. That would make it very close between the Civic and Camry.

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
YTD Sales

Camry 55,503
Civic 49,565
Accord 37,430

Reportedly 18% of Camry sales are to fleets. That would make it very close between the Civic and Camry.
The civic is still the best selling car in north america, if you dont count the fleet numbers (which we shouldnt anyways).

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Here is some long opinion, maybe more of interest to Honda market research than anybody else....

I agree that many potential Accord buyers are not risk takers and may have a problem trusting the turbo + CVT, so they safely go for displacement, for which, as old people used to say "there is no replacement". In the popular opinion 1.5L sounds inadequate and border ridiculous in a mid-size car. But the base Accord has practically the same or even better useful power-to-mass ratio as e.g. base Camry or any Civic sedan or hatchback (except the Si and CTR of course).

The top ratio is 6.13 HP/100lb, which is a bit less than HB Sport MT but a bit more than HB Sport ST. Accord LX weighs (only) almost 130 lb more than Civic HB ST, which is the weight of a small and fit girlfriend. But like Si the Accord has more power via higher boost pressure. For Camry LX the ratio is 6.26 (a full 2.1% more...:)) but you have to rev to 6600 rpm (beyond Accord's redline) to get there, vs. 5500 for the Accord. Which translates to a little less torque in the Camry's specs. I would take the Accord.

The price difference for base Accord vs. the Civic with similar options is very small, and it covers more space (more than Camry I believe) and a few standard features (such as bigger wheels for example). For any really higher level features that may not be even available on any Civic you have to pay extra. So why would Accord be a noticeably higher class car for so negligibly more money and comparable mpg? No free lunch here, contrary to what some people apparently would expect. You get what you pay for.

A guy like me would normally buy an SUV, otherwise Accord rather than the Civic. I'm generally not a sedan guy, or a small car guy, and I don't like minding where I tread. I'm not used to being afraid to approach curbs or unpaved ground. Ultimately, I skipped the Accord because of its relatively small cargo space in exchange for quite a chunk of garage space, and the appeal of the swift civic hatchback, which is larger inside than it is outside (like the CR-V):yes:. I'm even more happy with my civic choice after 2+ months then when I bought it. I think weaker sales of the Accord may be due to more people choosing other Hondas.

But I still think Accord is a great car if you want a well-rounded mid-size sedan. (Un)fortunately for Honda, Toyota also made a new Camry that looks not so bland for the first time since ever, maliciously, just in time to compete with the new Accord:). I would still buy the Accord for the powertrain, but this Camry now seems quite competitive particularly in higher trims, and many people think it has a better chance at beating longevity records.

In any case, 6 cylinders in this kind of car is passe for me. I used to want six, just because 6 is bigger than 4, but recent 4 cylinders are so great that now I would not even look at 6 or more cylinders in a new car unless it's a large truck, SUV or some exotic muscle car.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
The accord will sell number 1 or number 2 as with any other year.
It may in the future, but it sure hasn't done so well since it went on sale last Fall.

In the popular opinion 1.5L sounds inadequate and border ridiculous in a mid-size car.
Yet, Ford has been selling lots of 1.5L and 1.6L EcoBoost-equipped Fusions for almost six years. The vast majority of Accord buyers opt for the smaller engine whether it's due to price (can't afford the more powerful engine), ignorance (they have no idea what's under the hood or couldn't care as long as it gets them from A to B), or intent (they purposely choose fuel economy over power).

(Un)fortunately for Honda, Toyota also made a new Camry that looks not so bland for the first time since ever, maliciously, just in time to compete with the new Accord:). I would still buy the Accord for the powertrain, but this Camry now seems quite competitive particularly in higher trims, and many people think it has a better chance at beating longevity records.
But, Accord and Camry buyers seem to prefer blandness. For most generations, both models have a history of simple, conservative, timeless designs that age well. I'm afraid the 2018 Accord's (exterior) styling is too much of a departure for traditional buyers. While the 2018 Accord's "daring" looks (relative to past Accords) may have piqued the interest of a few new customers, it's nowhere near enough to offset the loss of traditional buyers. The Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT may be of interest to a few Civic Si or Type R cross shoppers who are looking for something more practical, more mature, and a bit larger, it's the polar opposite of what most Accord buyers want.

In any case, 6 cylinders in this kind of car is passe for me. I used to want six, just because 6 is bigger than 4, but recent 4 cylinders are so great that now I would not even look at 6 or more cylinders in a new car unless it's a large truck, SUV or some exotic muscle car.
Honda will most certainly lose a few V6 customers to the Camry. Enough to matter? Probably not. While Honda's small-displacement, turbocharged engines are among the best in the business, no 4-cylinder will EVER replace the sound of a V6 at higher RPM's or the smoothness of a V6 at idle.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree with much of what folks have said here.

I think the real problem is not the engine, and I doubt the outside style is a huge factor. I think people in that market want nifty interiors, and the Camry looks good, but it’s tech isn’t as intimidating as the Accord.

But the real edge is in the lease: $179/mo vs $223 a month. People who shop in that sector buy cars the way they buy refrigerators: they look at Consumer Reports, traditionally hostile to Honda, then they look at the price. Camry wins.

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
Maybe Honda should start selling to fleets to pad their record (aka cheat) like Toyota does.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
Maybe Honda should start selling to fleets to pad their record (aka cheat) like Toyota does.
That's what really kills Toyota resell value "minus their trucks which aren't fleet."