2018 Si Sedan Chirping at Idle

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Just curious about the old car. I haven't seen anything bad on the forums about our water pumps yet.
I haven't either. I'm not implying there is, but it was an anecdotal example of how a dealership's highest level of technician swore up and down a chirping at idle was totally normal and ignoring the fact it meant something was wrong.

I am of the opinion any chirp from the engine bay that isn't the belt at idle is not normal and a sign of a rotating component experiencing more friction than it should, which would lead to early failure.

Honestly the belt shouldn't make any noise either unless the tension is not set correctly, the tensioner is malfunctioning, the belt is worn out, or a pulley needs replacing.
Sponsored

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I made a recording, though I'm not sure how to upload sound files as the site won't take them. I'm pretty sure the issue is either insufficient freon/air in the lines or compressor related. 90% sure thr noise is coming from the freon lines that coming into to the cabin through the firewall... whether this is transmitted from the compressor directly or is an odd flow noise, I'm not sure. I know my 9th gen was underfilled from the factory and the compressor surged upon startup. I corrected it with a one-time addition of 1/2 a can of freon and it was gone for the 2.5 years I had the car from there on.
This one takes the different freon that I'm unsure is readily available still. I couldn't get a good recording through my stethoscope, but using a 2 foot 3/8 extension and my ear or with a stethoscope I have around, it's plainly audible in the freon lines. It's somewhat apparent when you listen to the compressor, though there's a lot of mechanical noise from the compressor itself being spun and being mounted to other stuff that has it's own noise.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Kind of a wonky file... no extension but Windows Media Player will play it anyways. You can hear the squeaky/ swirly flow noise. Hope the link works... this is sitting in my driveway at idle after the car is warmed up.

…(edit) oh cool. You can just play it from the forum.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
So I made a recording, though I'm not sure how to upload sound files as the site won't take them. I'm pretty sure the issue is either insufficient freon/air in the lines or compressor related. 90% sure thr noise is coming from the freon lines that coming into to the cabin through the firewall... whether this is transmitted from the compressor directly or is an odd flow noise, I'm not sure. I know my 9th gen was underfilled from the factory and the compressor surged upon startup. I corrected it with a one-time addition of 1/2 a can of freon and it was gone for the 2.5 years I had the car from there on.
This one takes the different freon that I'm unsure is readily available still. I couldn't get a good recording through my stethoscope, but using a 2 foot 3/8 extension and my ear or with a stethoscope I have around, it's plainly audible in the freon lines. It's somewhat apparent when you listen to the compressor, though there's a lot of mechanical noise from the compressor itself being spun and being mounted to other stuff that has it's own noise.
You can get the R1234yf from may places -- ebay, auto shops etc.. plus you will need a R1234yf gauge. No restrictions on low quantities, for private use to service your own A/C.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can get the R1234yf from may places -- ebay, auto shops etc.. plus you will need a R1234yf gauge. No restrictions on low quantities, for private use to service your own A/C.
Yeah. I have a fill adapter with a gauge somewhere but all I could find was a couple of the gauge-less fill adapters I have. I'll have to keep hunting for it later. It should be available here and there... it's just at a price premium supposedly from low supply. If I can find the gauge, I'll check the system. I've just got some math work I've got to do for college that's f'n my eyes out at the moment...

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Yeah. I have a fill adapter with a gauge somewhere but all I could find was a couple of the gauge-less fill adapters I have. I'll have to keep hunting for it later. It should be available here and there... it's just at a price premium supposedly from low supply. If I can find the gauge, I'll check the system. I've just got some math work I've got to do for college that's f'n my eyes out at the moment...
Check out Ebay..

ie

https://www.ebay.com/itm/r1234yf-Re...Solstice-Color-Coded-Gauge-Tools/153210070091

As long as you don't have a major leak, or get air into the system, should last you years !!

jenn18115

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Kind of a wonky file... no extension but Windows Media Player will play it anyways. You can hear the squeaky/ swirly flow noise. Hope the link works... this is sitting in my driveway at idle after the car is warmed up.

…(edit) oh cool. You can just play it from the forum.
Did you find a resolution to this? My car is making this EXACT sound. Thank God you had an audio file! This is exactly it. It's only when the AC is on, and happens whether i'm idling, driving, accelerating, doesn't matter - it's there. I'm going to the dealer today and would like to be prepared with a little knowledge beforehand.

Sunrazor

First Name
Tomss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic HB 1.5 Turbo Sport
Country flag
Mine doesn't do the exact sound like that but it sort of chirps to when on. Car is almost brand new. But I have also concluded it comes from the AC. Very annoying. Got a time at the dealers next monday.

SuXlife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17CivicEXT
Country flag
I just noticed the same exact noise in the audio file above. Can you please update this thread with what the dealership says. Thanks much :)

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They did a Freon evac and replacement about a year ago. Sound was much quieter for a few months but started to come back. Took it back around Feb. to get some rattles in the interior fixed (they did a good job on that) and try again the the A/C. I didn’t stay with the car as my closest dealer is about an hour away. They said they couldn’t reproduce at the time and I couldn’t get it to be noticeable at the dealer while I was there (the sound comes and goes). Intended on trying again but haven’t tried to go back with the pandemic.

I think it is the Freon expanding and hearing flow noise through the evaporator under the dash. The noise the is the same as what you hear if you put a machinist stethoscope to the Freon lines in the car. It’s just amplified out to the point it’s distractingly noticeable at times in the car. The factory service manual discusses some items to check/replace for this very issue... but I’ve got to get it to be noticeable again at the dealer. We shall see.... it’s pretty inconvenient to go to the dealer for how far away they are. I’d not bother with it but the cost of R1234 is so high compared to R134, doing anything out of warranty with it will be pretty pricey.

SuXlife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17CivicEXT
Country flag
They did a Freon evac and replacement about a year ago. Sound was much quieter for a few months but started to come back. Took it back around Feb. to get some rattles in the interior fixed (they did a good job on that) and try again the the A/C. I didn’t stay with the car as my closest dealer is about an hour away. They said they couldn’t reproduce at the time and I couldn’t get it to be noticeable at the dealer while I was there (the sound comes and goes). Intended on trying again but haven’t tried to go back with the pandemic.

I think it is the Freon expanding and hearing flow noise through the evaporator under the dash. The noise the is the same as what you hear if you put a machinist stethoscope to the Freon lines in the car. It’s just amplified out to the point it’s distractingly noticeable at times in the car. The factory service manual discusses some items to check/replace for this very issue... but I’ve got to get it to be noticeable again at the dealer. We shall see.... it’s pretty inconvenient to go to the dealer for how far away they are. I’d not bother with it but the cost of R1234 is so high compared to R134, doing anything out of warranty with it will be pretty pricey.
I did find this if it helps... I called about it and waiting for a call back. I just noticed the noise today.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 Si Sedan Chirping at Idle BF7FB66E-F1C5-4364-8549-08347C6BF980

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
My old '17 SI chirped at idle. I thought that it might have been a direct injection thing, but my Type R does not chirp at all.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did find this if it helps... I called about it and waiting for a call back. I just noticed the noise today.

BF7FB66E-F1C5-4364-8549-08347C6BF980.jpeg
Yep, thanks. The FSM discusses that being a part to inspect/replace as I recall. I spoke to them about it at length. When things settle down and I'm able to travel easier... I'll give it another try to two. 3 year/36000 mile warranty still has about 6 more months left.

Venom_fc1

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
Man that is pretty loud. You can't hear it when my hood is open for some reason....hhhhmmm

Did they give you your car back to drive while Honda USA came up with a solution? I would hate to leave the Si at the dealership for longer than 1 week.
What was the issue ?
Sponsored