2018 Si Sedan Chirping at Idle

nickgul312

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si coupe
Man that is pretty loud. You can't hear it when my hood is open for some reason....hhhhmmm

Did they give you your car back to drive while Honda USA came up with a solution? I would hate to leave the Si at the dealership for longer than 1 week.
Yes i have it back. I hate leaving it up there for a day haha.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RODSCIVIC

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
UPDATE: Went to the dealer and there was no chirping while they were checking the car in. Service Manager came out to take a look and couldn't hear anything, I could not hear anything neither. Luckily I had the video to show them. I will be dropping it off on Monday and they will be sending the video to Tech Support.

nickgul312

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si coupe
UPDATE: Went to the dealer and there was no chirping while they were checking the car in. Service Manager came out to take a look and couldn't hear anything, I could not hear anything neither. Luckily I had the video to show them. I will be dropping it off on Monday and they will be sending the video to Tech Support.
Does it only happen when the car is fully warmed up?

OP
OP
RODSCIVIC

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Does it only happen when the car is fully warmed up?
Warmed up and start up, but for some strange reason the two times Ive been to the dealership it hasn't happened.

nickgul312

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si coupe
Warmed up and start up, but for some strange reason the two times Ive been to the dealership it hasn't happened.
Mine happens when the vehicle is complete warmed up and has been driven a little bit like 10 min.

OP
OP
RODSCIVIC

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update: Dropped off the Si, they will keep it over night and check it in the mornig. I also told them it should be driven a bit. We will see what they say tomorrow.

OP
OP
RODSCIVIC

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update: Dealer sent the videos to Honda. Honda came back and said it was normal sounds of DI/Fuel Pump design. I am picking up my Si, it's documented, if it continues I will take it again. BTW, the Odyssey, yes Odyssey loaner I received made the exact same chirping sound. Just glad to be back in my Si.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
BTW, the Odyssey, yes Odyssey loaner I received made the exact same chirping sound.
It must have been a 2018. That's the first year of DI for them. Otherwise... all the earlier ones were port injection.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
You know, my last car had an intermittent but loud chirping at idle. I complained to the dealer on multiple occasions and after having their "master tech" listen to it they claimed it was 100% normal.

Fast forward a year and my (accessory belt driven) water pump is leaking, and after they replaced it under warranty the chirping went away.

8 months later, the chirping is back. I kept an eye on the water pump and eventually it started leaking again.

Another replacement, and the chirp was gone the rest of the time I owned the car (3 years), and the water pump never leaked again.

The moral of the story - chirping isn't normal, and anyone who says it is just wants you to stop complaining and leave. Its a sign of friction in a rotating part, and I have no doubt whatever is chirping will eventually fail on the Civics as well.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You know, my last car had an intermittent but loud chirping at idle. I complained to the dealer on multiple occasions and after having their "master tech" listen to it they claimed it was 100% normal.

Fast forward a year and my (accessory belt driven) water pump is leaking, and after they replaced it under warranty the chirping went away.

8 months later, the chirping is back. I kept an eye on the water pump and eventually it started leaking again.

Another replacement, and the chirp was gone the rest of the time I owned the car (3 years), and the water pump never leaked again.

The moral of the story - chirping isn't normal, and anyone who says it is just wants you to stop complaining and leave. Its a sign of friction in a rotating part, and I have no doubt whatever is chirping will eventually fail on the Civics as well.
Did turning on and off AC in the climate control to make the AC's clutch engage and disengage do anything to the noise? Mine is silent if I manually turn the AC off.

Yeah... I had a car years ago that had a squeaking belt. You could make it silent by pressing a block of paraffin against the belt and it'd stay silent for a long time. I really think this is shaft seal/bearing.

I'll be taking leave next week and will try and see if I can get my car seen before the Wake the Dragon trip. This week was a bust for the dealer. I'm expecting it's going to be a bit of a fight to get it done... but I'm sure with a little persistence, I'll get them to address it. It'll be my first time returning to the dealer with my Civic since having bought it so I'm sure they'll be wild about someone who doesn't really support their service department showing up. Such is life.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Did turning on and off AC in the climate control to make the AC's clutch engage and disengage do anything to the noise? Mine is silent if I manually turn the AC off.

Yeah... I had a car years ago that had a squeaking belt. You could make it silent by pressing a block of paraffin against the belt and it'd stay silent for a long time. I really think this is shaft seal/bearing.

I'll be taking leave next week and will try and see if I can get my car seen before the Wake the Dragon trip. This week was a bust for the dealer. I'm expecting it's going to be a bit of a fight to get it done... but I'm sure with a little persistence, I'll get them to address it. It'll be my first time returning to the dealer with my Civic since having bought it so I'm sure they'll be wild about someone who doesn't really support their service department showing up. Such is life.
I don't have a chirp on my Si yet, but AC had no effect on the chirp on my last car.

All I've got so far is a mildly irritating blower fan whine and a slightly more irritating but still mild squeal while the AC is on. The AC is sure to get a ton of use over this summer and I'll be keeping an eye on it like a hawk.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't have a chirp on my Si yet, but AC had no effect on the chirp on my last car.

All I've got so far is a mildly irritating blower fan whine and a slightly more irritating but still mild squeal while the AC is on. The AC is sure to get a ton of use over this summer and I'll be keeping an eye on it like a hawk.
Just curious about the old car. I haven't seen anything bad on the forums about our water pumps yet.
Sponsored