2018 Si Sedan Chirping at Idle

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
Anyone else have this issue? It sounds like there is a bird chirping in the engine bay while at idle. I will be taking it in today to get checked. 1500 miles on the Si. Hopefully its nothing to serious and just a loose belt.
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A sort of ridiculous but easy way to see if it's a belt... take a block of paraffin or a plain wax candle... let your car idle and rub it against the belt. It'll put a film of wax on it and if it gets quiet... you know it's the belt.

Something my old man taught me.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Don't do anything to the belt or car. Just take it straight to the dealership or they will say you did something and deny warranty

nickgul312

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si coupe
Anyone else have this issue? It sounds like there is a bird chirping in the engine bay while at idle. I will be taking it in today to get checked. 1500 miles on the Si. Hopefully its nothing to serious and just a loose belt.
I have the same problem on my 2017 civic si coupe. I have taken it to the dealership twice. The first time they changed my high pressure fuel pump. That didn’t fix the problem. The second time I had the car there for a week and they always said they couldn’t hear anything. I have showed them videos of the chirping noise at idle and they said they couldn’t find a problem. Let me know if you have an answer.

OP
OP
RODSCIVIC

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have the same problem on my 2017 civic si coupe. I have taken it to the dealership twice. The first time they changed my high pressure fuel pump. That didn’t fix the problem. The second time I had the car there for a week and they always said they couldn’t hear anything. I have showed them videos of the chirping noise at idle and they said they couldn’t find a problem. Let me know if you have an answer.
Yeah, I showed up without a video the first time, drove around with the tech and we couldn't hear anything. This time I have a video though. Ill update once they give me an answer

nickgul312

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si coupe
Yeah, I showed up without a video the first time, drove around with the tech and we couldn't hear anything. This time I have a video though. Ill update once they give me an answer
I have had this problem since 2500 miles on the car. I have put 7000 miles on the car. I hope they figure it out for you it has been a big ordeal at my dealership. They said they sent my videos to Honda USA that was about two weeks ago and I haven’t heard anything.

OP
OP
RODSCIVIC

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm going in tomorrow again. Here is my video, let me know if it sounds the same, you might need headphones

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I do hear it. Not sure if that's belt based. Have you gone to touching things in the car with something (like a big flathead) to see if there's anything loose... not rattle loose... but squeak loose? I've had a loose heat shield make some squeaks. Does it change w/the A/C compressor running? It has a bearing. I don't have a 'mechanics stethoscope'... or whatever the proper term is... but I'd take that same big flat heat, put it against things and listen and try to localize the sound.

I know my initial post might sound a little out to lunch, and if you want to stick with the dealer... do so... but the paraffin trick does work. I bet there's 'for real' sprays at an auto parts store. You might put a little spray of a spray lube like WD40 on any of the pulleys. They do have bearings. I will generally give people DIY advice for things. If you want to take it to the dealership... or keep taking it back but are getting no traction... a little squirt of WD40 on your pulley or a little film of wax on your belt that won't last long anyways is not going to break your car.

OP
OP
RODSCIVIC

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I do hear it. Not sure if that's belt based. Have you gone to touching things in the car with something (like a big flathead) to see if there's anything loose... not rattle loose... but squeak loose? I've had a loose heat shield make some squeaks. Does it change w/the A/C compressor running? It has a bearing. I don't have a 'mechanics stethoscope'... or whatever the proper term is... but I'd take that same big flat heat, put it against things and listen and try to localize the sound.

I know my initial post might sound a little out to lunch, and if you want to stick with the dealer... do so... but the paraffin trick does work. I bet there's 'for real' sprays at an auto parts store. You might put a little spray of a spray lube like WD40 on any of the pulleys. They do have bearings. I will generally give people DIY advice for things. If you want to take it to the dealership... or keep taking it back but are getting no traction... a little squirt of WD40 on your pulley or a little film of wax on your belt that won't last long anyways is not going to break your car.
Yeah, Im assuming something needs lubrication or tightening. The car drives fine, but the sound makes in sound like Old School VW Beetle at times :D. I'll let the dealer look at it again and go from there. It's under warranty so I will not touch it. Thanks for the advice though, if they don't do anything about it I might give it a shot.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll let the dealer look at it again and go from there. It's under warranty so I will not touch it. Thanks for the advice though, if they don't do anything about it I might give it a shot.
Your car and your choice. :thumbsup: Good luck. I hope they find something. That would drive me crazy.

OP
OP
RODSCIVIC

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Here’s a clip of mine.
Man that is pretty loud. You can't hear it when my hood is open for some reason....hhhhmmm

Did they give you your car back to drive while Honda USA came up with a solution? I would hate to leave the Si at the dealership for longer than 1 week.
Sponsored