2018 Hot Hatch Test (Australia)

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Focus RS was a real choice for me until I read about the ride quality being absolutely dismal. That’s also not including the head gasket issues. The STi was my runner up but I heard that the normal WRX is honestly better, and the clutch is unforgiving on both of the Subaru’s (something that would make learning driving stick worse). And the Golf R looked flat out boring and my family has had bad luck with VW quite a few times already. So like the winner in the test, my choice was clear. :)

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
Focus RS was a real choice for me until I read about the ride quality being absolutely dismal. That’s also not including the head gasket issues. The STi was my runner up but I heard that the normal WRX is honestly better, and the clutch is unforgiving on both of the Subaru’s (something that would make learning driving stick worse). And the Golf R looked flat out boring and my family has had bad luck with VW quite a few times already. So like the winner in the test, my choice was clear. :)
The RS ride quality is over blown. Ford re-valved the front suspension and if you find one built mid-2017 it will be comfortable, even in Sport mode. Just test drove one yesterday, it's not an issue anymore. The Golf R, which I test drove yesterday, is so plain from the outside. I think the GTI looks better than the Golf R for some reason. The interior is beautiful, the digital dash is great. But as we all know, electronics = money after warranty. But 6/72 for warranty isn't bad neither.

KoukiVAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR, 19 TLX
Country flag
I feel bad for the Sti. Put it on gravel or snow and instantly it will be really fun to drive. Track and road are not where that car belongs.

onions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 992
Country flag
Something funny about that article:

"“During the first launch I was able to get it off the line cleanly for our recorded time, but each time thereafter it would bog down,” Paul says. “For some reason I couldn’t hold the revs up above 3000rpm.”"

I wonder what the issue was cause that sounds more like some sort of malfunction.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
I feel bad for the Sti. Put it on gravel or snow and instantly it will be really fun to drive. Track and road are not where that car belongs.
Subaru has kind of neglected the STI. It's basically the same drive-train since 2004. It's not a terrible car but it just feels old even with new skin. I also agree with the Focus RS harsh ride being overblown. I find rides better than the EVO X and I had no issues daily driving an EVO.

KoukiVAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR, 19 TLX
Country flag
Subaru has kind of neglected the STI. It's basically the same drive-train since 2004. It's not a terrible car but it just feels old even with new skin. I also agree with the Focus RS harsh ride being overblown. I find rides better than the EVO X and I had no issues daily driving an EVO.
Yeah. That EJ257 is a fossil. It's still really good at doing what it can do, but the worst one in its class to daily. That's why I traded mine in for the CTR.
Good thing they are working on the next gen with new powertrain, but that's not until 2020 and by that time the impreza platform isn't gonna be that new.
I agree that they need to change the car completely to get back in the game, but this track tests seem a little too unfair for the sti.

d1390

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I was in the same boat on getting one of these cars, but leaning towards the RS. Everyday I would change my mind on which car I should get. When I saw the CTR I was in love, however I didnt like the faux vents so I looked into the Golf R. But then I thought there so many of them out there, and they all look the same.

I did look into the STI but then I didn't want to pay the new car price for with a 15 year old engine. And also I had a friend who's gf has one and told me that he wouldn't buy one. Plus the new ones also have the faux vents.

I was also looking into the Mustang, a really nice car, but I needed something I can have for a long time in case I have kids, I could use the extra doors and space. I didnt like how the cup holders were in the way of the shifter, and the boot space shape would be hard to put things in there from the videos I have seen explaining this.

I then saw on the news that Honda Aus are starting to take orders for the CTR even though it wasn't coming in 6 months. This was when no one knew about it yet, so this started to become a hard decision, to either place an order or miss out.

When it was time to go to some dealership to inquire, they didn't have much info but they had limited stock and told you can put a deposit to test drive it, and if you don't want to buy it then they will give my deposit back.

I then went to Ford, and they told me they wont have one for at least a year! and he was pushing me to put in an order. He wouldn't even let me test drive the mustang. I then went to VW to look at the golf R and possibly get a test drive from them, and they had some salesman kid was doing his sales pitch which was so cringe, told me I couldn't get a test drive either, but to come the next few days. But when I saw it up front it looked too bland.

I went to another Ford and told me the same thing that I need to wait a year and that a new version is coming out. But then I didnt like how you had to pay extra for the nitros blue paint and rims. I also watched so many reviews on this car about the steering radius, how the interior looks like any other ford, how its not really awd, awd shutting off when too hot, the ride quality, the bending pedals, I could of lived with it...?

I went to another Honda dealer and they told me if I put a deposit down I cant get my money back from it, because they are ordering it for me so when it arrives its mine. So that put my in a weird spot, but it was a guarantee that it will be mine. So I thought about it, and placed the order because for that price on a new car, that came with everything with no additional costs for rims or paint its a no brainier.

after that, that's when it came out that the ford had the blown gasket, which I'm so glad I ended up with the R, after everything it has been through!

(Sorry for the wall of text)

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For what it’s worth, supposedly the Subaru WRX STi Type RA, which costs $50k (!), has a lot better driving dynamics than the regular STi. Jalopnik had a review on it and called the price worth it.

However interestingly enough, I have read that the regular WRX has an even worse clutch and gearbox than the STi. A lot of people have said it’s not linear like the Type R is.

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
For what it’s worth, supposedly the Subaru WRX STi Type RA, which costs $50k (!), has a lot better driving dynamics than the regular STi. Jalopnik had a review on it and called the price worth it.

However interestingly enough, I have read that the regular WRX has an even worse clutch and gearbox than the STi. A lot of people have said it’s not linear like the Type R is.
The WRX Gearbox is trash compared to the STi (unless it's changed since MY2015), and the clutch doesn't have a good feel to it.

Good to hear that the damping changes they made to the Type RA makes it stand out. If it makes it feel less piggish in corners, that will go a long way.

(I still love the WRX platform even though I'm a little jaded. It has a tiny, but special, place in my heart that I'm not sure any other platform can touch.)
Sponsored