raynist

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Cosmic Blue Civic EX-T Manual
Country flag
I just traded in my 2015 Fix EX (CVT) for a 2018 Civic EX-T manual and never looked back.

I loved the magic seats and it was a great car but:

Drivers seat needed to go back about 6 more inches, lots of wind and road noise, very jarring ride, not much power, felt kind of cheap to drive.

My best tank MPG was 40.1, average tank was about 37 with 60/40 highway/city driving.

I just traded it in on Friday. My first tank in the civic was 44.5 mpg and that is with heavier than normal stop n go traffic for about 3 miles before the interstate opens up

The civic is faster, more comfortable, much quieter, much smoother ride, better handling, nicer interior, much more front leg room.

Haven’t missed my fit for a second.

—Ray
Sponsored

Last edited:

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I just traded in my 2015 Fix EX (CVT) for a 2018 Civic EX-T manual and never looked back.

I loved the magic seats and it was a great car but:

Drivers seat needed to go back about 6 more inches, lots of wind and road noise, very jarring ride, not much power, felt kind of cheap to drive.

My best tank MPG was 40.1, average tank was about 37 with 60/40 highway/city driving.

I just traded it in on Friday. My first tank in the civic was 44.5 mpg and that is with heavier than normal stop n go traffic for about 3 miles before the interstate opens up

The civic is faster, more comfortable, much quieter, much smoother ride, better handling, nicer interior, much more front leg room.

Haven’t missed my fit for a second.

—Ray
Consumer Reports Rating of the Fit is pretty accurate, as I've driven both cars:

Loud, stiff ride, not good for long drives. Net: A very handy around town run about with a ton of space for its size and good mileage.

"The Honda Fit subcompact hatchback has always been an appealing urban runabout. Thanks to its clever multi-configurable seating, the Fit delivers versatility similar to that of a small SUV. The Fit gets great fuel economy at 33 mpg overall. But that comes with excessive noise when the continuously variable transmission keeps the engine at high revs. Handling is responsive, but the Fit has a stiff ride. On top of that, the cabin is loud, making the Fit unfit for long drives. Opting for the EX brings a sunroof and paddle shifters; the EX-L includes heated leather seats. The button-free touch-screen radio on EX and higher trims is a constant frustration, and the seats and driving position aren't very comfortable. For 2018 the Fit gets a freshening and offers the Honda Sensing suite of advanced safety features."

In essence, the Fit and Civic are in different categories. The Civic is the nicer ride of the two, Fit is more versatile as a mini-SUV.

splat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si
Country flag
I sold a 2015 Fit EX 6-speed for my 2017 Si sedan. Put the Si drivetrain and interior in the Fit chassis and I’d buy that immediately.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Loved my 2015 Honda Fit. Was a joy to drive. No problems being comfortable on long drives for me. Really no complaints. I wished for more horsepower but the horsepower I got out of it was more than adequate. It actually was quite quick and sporty for a CVT. And I LOVED the CVT. After intake/exhaust mods, it was neck and neck or slightly quicker than the late model stock Civic turbo.

I posted on the Fit forums about a possible turbocharged 2019 model Fit based on the European 1.0ltr Civic. Not seeing anything yet but it'd be interesting. 2019 Honda Fit Turbo

" The base model of the 2019 Honda Fit is more than likely going to come equipped with the same 1.5 liter naturally aspirated mill as before. With around 130 horsepower and 114 lb-ft of torque this will give just enough performance to make most of its buyers happy. However, for those looking for more it seems like Honda will release a second engine choice. This should be their all new 1.0 liter turbo-three unit which is known to make anything between 110 and 130 horsepower and up to 140 lb-ft of torque. While it will still be similar to the larger engine, it should provide better fuel efficiency as well as a more relaxed driving experience thanks to the extra torque. An automatic is also a possibility. However, Honda didn’t really say much about it and it looks like they will only announce it closer to the car’s release date. "

http://tophondacars.com/2019-honda-accord-price/

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag

OP
OP
LeaveEarly

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
See I knew there was someone else like me out there. But what loss trading in a new car for another one lol
I didn't suffer a loss. It held it's value so well that they pretty much paid what I owed on it and a little additional due to it's resale value. I traded so my wife could have a reduced payment on her 2018 sport hatch. We both bought one the same day but it was her first car. Happy wife, happy life. :p

I was smiling on the outside but crying in the inside. I don't miss it though but was attached to it because it treated me well.

Last edited:

Shibefur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-TA, 2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE, 1997 Camaro Z28 LT1
Country flag
I was going to buy a Fit after comparing it to many competitors and doing some looong test drives, but the dealer transfer got messed up, and in the mean time I test-drove a Civic. And then did more test drives of several different Civic types. In the end, I bought a Civic EX-T sedan with Sensing, which surprisingly wasn't a ton more $$$ than the Fit EX I was going to buy.

In a lot of ways, they really are similar, comparable cars. But not in every way.

For me, the pros for the Civic are:
  • My Civic makes me happy when I see it sitting in my driveway. It's a very pretty car. Visually, the Fit is OK, but doesn't really click for me. Totally subjective, but so important. From personal experience, my strong advice is: If you don't love the car, don't buy it.
  • Better highway MPGs, like 50 with Eco on. I do a lot of highway driving, so this is important. Add a slightly bigger tank, and it gets more range.
  • Sorry to disagree with Myx, but the EX-T feels way quicker (and faster) to me than the Fit. It's effortlessly quick. The Fit can get out of it's own way, but meh. Same goes for handling. And if I was into modding my daily driver, there's a $500 mod for the EX-T that would make it stupid quick.
  • Rides more like a big car. Well, it is a bigger car, length and width wise. But it rides bigger than its size, too.
  • The Civic's interior is more elegant, classier. But OTOH the Fit's interior is more utilitarian (see below).
  • Not just more shoulder room, but more butt room, too. The seats are just a tad wider, and there's more space.
  • Seems quieter. Not sure that's actually true. But it seems quieter.
  • Wind doesn't push it around as much, which is important in the windy Midwest.

Pros for the Fit:
  • Those origami Magic Seats are slick. Really neat. I really, really like the Refresh (recliner) mode. And the other modes.
  • Infinite cargo space and a flat cargo floor. Want to haul a washing machine? Fit's got it covered. And a couple bags of mulch? Sure, throw 'em in behind the washer. And groceries for the family picnic? No problem, there's still room.
    • The Fit should come in Tardis blue, because it is a Tardis.

• God: Noah, you gotta build an Ark, big big boat, many cubits, lots of space for all the animals.
    • Noah: How about I just tape some pool noodles to my Fit?
    • God: ... Yeah, OK, that'll do it.
  • I wouldn't feel bad about making a mess of the interior. That's what the car is built for. I'm spending a bit of cash to dog-proof my Civic, which is probably futile. I wouldn't spend a dime doing that with the Fit.
  • The Fit is much easier for a fat old man like me to get in and out of. My knees are not huge fans of the Civic.
  • Parking is a snap. The Civic is wider and longer, has a bigger turning radius, all of which add up to parking hassles. I can't squeeze into that spot next to the #&^#! who parked over the dividing line with the Civic. With the Fit, just sneak in there, no big deal.

Either way, though, you're going to have a really nice car. They're both winners.

Wilefisherman

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Sedan MSM
Country flag
My wife has a 2015 Fit and I have a 17 Si. When ever we drive anywhere, she wants the Si. If we head to the city, we take the Fit. If we go anywhere in the Fit and SHE drives, I sit in the back seat (6'3" tall). There is WAY more room in the back.

As far as MPG's go, I beat her in the Civic EVEY day! I have a 50/50 ratio of highway and streets. My wife is almost all street. She is lucky to get 30mpg. I average 32-35 over each tank. That is with me doing some "spirited" driving a couple times a week. Getting on the same freeway on ramp the Fit sucks. So much, that my wife laughs. Interior is WAY quieter than the Fit.

So I say the Fit "fits" a need for some people. Just not mine.

Reactions: Myx
OP
OP
LeaveEarly

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
My wife has a 2015 Fit and I have a 17 Si. When ever we drive anywhere, she wants the Si. If we head to the city, we take the Fit. If we go anywhere in the Fit and SHE drives, I sit in the back seat (6'3" tall). There is WAY more room in the back.

As far as MPG's go, I beat her in the Civic EVEY day! I have a 50/50 ratio of highway and streets. My wife is almost all street. She is lucky to get 30mpg. I average 32-35 over each tank. That is with me doing some "spirited" driving a couple times a week. Getting on the same freeway on ramp the Fit sucks. So much, that my wife laughs. Interior is WAY quieter than the Fit.

So I say the Fit "fits" a need for some people. Just not mine.
A lot of people are saying the civic's interior is quieter than the fit's. However I find the civic's very noisy so the fit must be a convertible then lol

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I had a GE8 Fit (2nd gen) and while its a great little runabout I wouldn't recommend it for anyone that drives on highways. The Civic hatchback is a bit of a missed opportunity to me... Honda should have just gone for a classic hatchback profile like the old Civics, none of this stupid raked hatchback design, and the usable volume will be much better. The Fit is just a cheap, low rent car to spend time inside too... lots of hard plastics, noisy, etc. But some people love them to death anyways, if anything they've got an almost cult like following!

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
I had a 2007 fit 5spd for about 10 years. Sold it at like 80k miles and it had 1 minor issue in 10 years. It was a solid car and handled pretty well for what it was. Having said that it was a bit terrifying on highways and it was very cheap on the inside.

Overall not a bad little car for the most basic of transportation needs.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
I remember doing some MPG calculations. I think the Fit gets ~4 mpg more than the Civic overall. Is all that extra stuff the Civic offers a worthy sacrifice for a mere 4 MPG? It's not like you're getting a hybrid here.

skshrews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura 2005 TSX, Honda Civic Hatchback LX 6MT 2017
Country flag
Had a 2009 5MT Honda Fit. Fun to drive as you really had to work the gears. The Magic Seats were great-you could put tall plants behind the front seat. And we managed to fit a rocking chair into the back with the seats down-they lied almost flat. You could live inside the Fit.
The interior wasn't luxurious, but very functional. I drove 100 miles a day on highways for years, all sorts of horrible winters and never had a problem.

Still, the Civic is much more of "substantial" car-quieter, bigger, better handling, better gas mileage, faster, and doesn't get blown around by cross winds.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This thread might be old but as someone who might take on taking on 10k more to get out of a subcompact into a new civic don't do it. The magazine's and car reviewers say my car is a blast to drive...4 door miata...psh but they don't have to live with a Mazda toyota stepchild that is the yaris ia..subcompacts are garbage and not safe compared to a bigger car..what good is the savings of money and gas when your safety is at stake. End rant
Sponsored