Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm doing this write-up to give insight on both these cars I've had the pleasure of driving, in hopes of helping someone make an informed decision. However, the best thing a buyer can do is drive both for themselves and make their decision that way. But for those who can't, I hope this writeup serves to be informative. If anyone has questions pertaining to these two cars, I'd be more than happy to answer!
Important information concerning the two cars:
2018 Honda Civic EX-L Hatchback 1.5T CVT with 40,500 miles. I've done various cosmetic modifications, and also have two Skar SVR 12" subwoofers in a 4cuft box, 1200w amplifier, and Douglas Performance 215/50r17 tires. Stock rims, no suspension mods done. Running Phearable 1.5R tune, Mishimoto intake hose and K&N air filter.
2018 Honda Accord EX-L 1.5T CVT with 56,000 miles. Bone stock with Hankook 225/50r17 tires.

Some background:
I've owned my 2018 Civic Hatchback since May 2021, putting 15,000 miles on her, 10,500 of which were tuned. Been running Phearable 1.5R for more than 5,000 miles, primarily in Map 1 for daily driving, Map 2 for more spirited driving, and Map 3 for racing/extreme speed chasing. I run Mobile1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0w20 and change every 5-7,000 miles. I changed my CVT fluid around 35,000 miles with my tires also being replaced around then.
Parents bought a 2018 Accord 1.5T CVT with 55,000 miles, with a similar history as mine. Stock tune, stock tires, oil changes every 5-7,000 miles with CVT changed at 35,000 miles. As far as I am aware the car was never tuned.

My Civic, from factory, weighs 2,972lb according to Google, so if you add up (say 20lb for all the cosmetic mods, 135lb for myself, and 100lb for my subwoofers, box, amplifier, that comes out to 3,227lb.
Our new Accord, from factory, weighs 3,217lb, so if you add my father's weight (155lb), that comes out to 3,372lb. That is 145lb difference in favor of the Civic, if you don't include tires and gas. We both had our cruise set on 76mph the majority of the trip as it was spent on i55 from St. Louis to Memphis (being 300 miles roughly), with both of us running in Eco mode.
Environmental conditions were: 30-40F, 10-20mph winds with decent gusts, winter gas. These are important to consider.

From when left O'Fallon to Memphis, the Accord travelled 340miles and used 11 gallons of gas, for an average of 30.9mpg. Good, but definitely not it's potential. The previous owner showed record of the Accord averaging 40mpg usually, with it dipping a little when weather got colder and winter blend gas come out.
That same route, the Civic went 335 miles (keep in mind we travelled together ON THE SAME ROUTE), used 10 gallons of gas for an average of 33.5mpg. I found this to be very interesting, but I think the variances explain why the difference is as large as it is. Sidenote: From Memphis to home, the Civic averaged 40.8mpg on a 45 mile drive, while the Accord averaged 43.2mpg on that same distance. I travelled a bit faster and was definitely heavier on the throttle. Temperature was above 50F at the time, as well.

With all of that said, I want to actually compare the experiences of driving my Civic versus this new (to us) Accord. It's rather interesting.

First impressions of the Accord is how heavy it feels. Not an unwelcome heaviness, not an overweight heaviness, but rather a much more mature, almost muscular heaviness. Steering takes more input yet is just as direct as the Civic is. The accelerator requires a little extra press to get it going, yet has the quickness of a stock Civic for the most part. Much quieter on the inside, less road and wind noise, yet you are still aware of what's going on around you. I would not go as far as to say the Accord is anywhere near as nimble or eager as the Civic is, but that isn't the point of the Accord. The Accord has a LOT of bells and whistles that my Civic doesn't, ranging from the better sound system to a more adjustable seat, to Lane Keep Assist and Radar Cruise, Blind spot Monitoring, and more I probably haven't explored yet. The Civic doesn't have most of that, and I'm personally happier without it. The Civic is a much better driver's car than the Accord EX-L is, but that isn't to say the Accord isn't a driver's car. It simply caters to an audience that's more interested in features and commuting comfort than it does how sporty the car is. The features that make it great for commuting and long drives get in the way of me having fun and living out my dreams of being a race car driver.
In a lot of ways it's really hard to compare the Accord to the Civic simply because they are two different cars, made for two different audiences, at two different price points. But in other ways, it's easy to compare them. They are both Hondas with 1.5T CVTs, they both feel excellent to drive in their own specific ways, and they are both excellent vehicles to own in my limited opinion. It simply boils down to what your budget and needs are.

Do you want a sporty, excellent handling car that's good on gas? Buy the Civic. Hatchback for bonus points in the practicality department.
Do you want a tamer, yet still excellent driving car that caters more towards highway cruising, long commuting, and features? Buy the Accord. Bonus points if you manage to afford the 2.0T Touring (you aren't buying a Sport 2.0T to drive as a commuter, just like you aren't buying a Type R to be a fuel economy car). Either way, you cannot go wrong with either car.

The TLDR to this summary is, if the Civic is "boy racer" who is young, carefree and likes to go fast, the Accord is him 10-15 years down the road, manager at his job, has a kid or two. Where the Civic is youthful and nimble, the Accord feels heavier but still confident. The Accord has a lot of weight on its shoulders, you can tell by the steering input and throttle being firmer than the Civic's, the way it handles bumps and corners is heavier, slower, yet forgiving. It's quieter and more sober on the inside, yet not completely lifeless. The Accord is definitely a much more mature Civic.
Sponsored

OP
OP
rwk226

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A sidenote I forgot to mention in my main post but feel is significant enough to mention:
Yes, the Accord and Civic are two different vehicles that weigh different, but they have very similar powertrains, hence this comparison, but-
Tuning DOES NOT greatly impact NORMAL driving fuel economy, if at all. A common misconception or concern many people have and hold is that tuning will greatly impact fuel economy in a negative way, which is simply untrue in this case. While a prime test would've been Civic vs Civic, I still think because of the similarities between the two vehicles, that my comparison holds water and proves this big point. While romping on the car (constantly foot to the floor, driving like "you stole it") will reduce fuel efficiency no matter whether you're tuned or not, that is really the only time that you'll see it.

My test proved that 1) the weight difference between the Accord and Civic makes a real difference, 2)Tuning does NOT make a significant difference, 3) Good fuel economy primarily relies on your foot and driving conditions.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
The TLDR to this summary is, if the Civic is "boy racer" who is young, carefree and likes to go fast, the Accord is him 10-15 years down the road, manager at his job, has a kid or two. Where the Civic is youthful and nimble, the Accord feels heavier but still confident. The Accord has a lot of weight on its shoulders, you can tell by the steering input and throttle being firmer than the Civic's, the way it handles bumps and corners is heavier, slower, yet forgiving. It's quieter and more sober on the inside, yet not completely lifeless. The Accord is definitely a much more mature Civic.
I've ONLY ever owned Civic hatchbacks — on my fourth now across thirty years — and I'm thinking exactly the same.

And what feels weird to me is, thanks to stories of stupid dealer markups on '22 hatchbacks, I'm starting to look elsewhere... and I'm now wanting a TLX because I kinda want a much nicer car now that I'm older. I think I get why I see guys my age (and older) in big sedans so often.

OP
OP
rwk226

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've ONLY ever owned Civic hatchbacks — on my fourth now across thirty years — and I'm thinking exactly the same.

And what feels weird to me is, thanks to stories of stupid dealer markups on '22 hatchbacks, I'm starting to look elsewhere... and I'm now wanting a TLX because I kinda want a much nicer car now that I'm older. I think I get why I see guys my age (and older) in big sedans so often.
A TLX would be a good option, or even an Accord 2.0T. The Accord itself is extremely nice, and is technically a step up from an already great design from 10th Gen Civic. But yes, the markups really discourage smart shoppers from buying them right now, but maybe in the next year as the Integra and Type R releases they'll become easier to attain.

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
Nice job on the comparison. ? I've not had a chance to drive an Accord.

My cousin had a nice, black 2.0t a couple of years ago. He made a very bad choice one night and rolled it off a highway. He made it out without a scratch but not so much for the Accord. We see how well Civics handle accidents and keep folks safe on the forum, Accords do pretty well too.

OP
OP
rwk226

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice job on the comparison. ? I've not had a chance to drive an Accord.

My cousin had a nice, black 2.0t a couple of years ago. He made a very bad choice one night and rolled it off a highway. He made it out without a scratch but not so much for the Accord. We see how well Civics handle accidents and keep folks safe on the forum, Accords do pretty well too.
Thank you! It is rather different driving the Accord, but it's nice. I feel if companies gave it love like they have the Civics, the 1.5T Accord could be rather fast too.

Glad your cousin came out alright, but a shame about the car.

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
Thank you! It is rather different driving the Accord, but it's nice. I feel if companies gave it love like they have the Civics, the 1.5T Accord could be rather fast too.

Glad your cousin came out alright, but a shame about the car.
Since you mentioned it, I was curious so I checked and Phearable has a tune for the 1.5 Accord. Looks like it puts out a bit more than the Civic. I wonder which version of the 1.5 they have, the one with better rods I'd hope.

OP
OP
rwk226

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Since you mentioned it, I was curious so I checked and Phearable has a tune for the 1.5 Accord. Looks like it puts out a bit more than the Civic. I wonder which version of the 1.5 they have, the one with better rods I'd hope.
Wow! I had no idea. Guess I know what I'll be buying for the Accord if I can convince my dad to let me buy a Ktuner for them. He knows what he needs to about my Civic being tuned and was highly impressed. He drove the Civic back some on the trip and noted the drivetrain felt more responsive yet still highly refined. The Accord was refined but when you needed to get on it, it was laggy.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Accord sport in the blue color is just awesome looking in person. I have no doubt it's a great car. I just prefer a car under 3,000 lbs.

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
Wow! I had no idea. Guess I know what I'll be buying for the Accord if I can convince my dad to let me buy a Ktuner for them. He knows what he needs to about my Civic being tuned and was highly impressed. He drove the Civic back some on the trip and noted the drivetrain felt more responsive yet still highly refined. The Accord was refined but when you needed to get on it, it was laggy.
Hey that's an idea! You could tune the lag out for responsiveness, don't necessarily have to add power unless your dad wanted it.

OP
OP
rwk226

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Accord sport in the blue color is just awesome looking in person. I have no doubt it's a great car. I just prefer a car under 3,000 lbs.
Oh definitely, I love the Blue. Gorgeous in person. While it isn't that much heavier than my Civic, it is definitely felt and an additional 25whp and wtq would be necessary to balance out the difference, at least. But I believe the Sport model weighs closer to my EX-L Civic than the EX-L Accord does.

Hey that's an idea! You could tune the lag out for responsiveness, don't necessarily have to add power unless your dad wanted it.
Exactly! My parents, and myself as well, are used to driving v8 SUVs, so while they are slower than these 1.5Ts are by a long shot, we aren't used to the turbo and CVT lag. My tuning has eliminated as much of it as it could, and I've also adjusted my driving style to suit it. From a stop / low speed, there's still a bit of delay but that's expected. From a rolling speed (40mph+) there's almost no lag whatsoever with my Civic. Even going 65mph, the Accord has an undesirable amount of lag for me. But once it gets up to RPM, it will definitely go - much moreso than the stock Civic would. Not quite on par with even my 1.5R in Map 1, but maybe comparable to a Stage 1 Ktuner tune.

OP
OP
rwk226

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Something I found out and forgot to post about concerning the Accord:

Previous owner installed a K&N air filter, and a Mishimoto catch-can. I can get the K&N air filter simply because it's reusable, but the catch can surprised me. It's a mod I've planned on doing to my Civic for a while, but only because I drive hard. Interesting.
Sponsored