slash_lucky

First Name
Slash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I park in my apartment parking which is about 200 ft from my apartment. This morning when I unlocked my car, I noticed someone was inside my car and ransacked my stuff possibly searching for cash. The car was locked, there is no sign of forced entry and everything is accounted for. I am at loss here on how can someone enter my car like that and also why the alarm didn't trigger when the door was opened without key signal in the vicinity?

I also tested if my key was able to smart unlock the car from my apartment(200 ft) but it didn't work, I checked all windows to see if someone tried unlocking using a wire but not sign of it. It's as if someone entered my car having a genuine key.

Any idea? Do I need to have dealer check if something has been disabled or broken in the process?

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 Honda Civic Touring Break in Post1

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 Honda Civic Touring Break in Post2

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
No forced entry... are you 100% sure it was locked? Seems too sophisticated to be able to enter the car without the key if it was locked only to rummage through your stuff.

OP
OP

slash_lucky

First Name
Slash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
That is my exact thought. When I exit the vehicle, I always press the lock button to hear the beep before walking away. Even if there was a chance that I forgot to do that, should't the car automatically lock itself? Regarding forced entry, all windows were pulled up and are as-is(nothing cracked), I also inspected all four door glass area where the person might have used wire but the black rubber material thing for rain protection is pretty sealed tight. What else can I check to ensure if I missed anything?

The car drives fine. I checked for battery(usual theft), spare tire and parts in the trunk and it is as-is. I have no clue how and why it happened.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Strange, I do notice that once in a blue moon if I've been messing with the keyfob manually locking-unlocking the car will sometimes not automatically lock itself when I finally walk away. Looks like no damage to your car was done so that's awesome. Hopefully they didn't find anything valuable.

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
That is my exact thought. When I exit the vehicle, I always press the lock button to hear the beep before walking away. Even if there was a chance that I forgot to do that, should't the car automatically lock itself? Regarding forced entry, all windows were pulled up and are as-is(nothing cracked), I also inspected all four door glass area where the person might have used wire but the black rubber material thing for rain protection is pretty sealed tight. What else can I check to ensure if I missed anything?

The car drives fine. I checked for battery(usual theft), spare tire and parts in the trunk and it is as-is. I have no clue how and why it happened.

Make sure auto locking is ON in setting. Also, make sure this auto locking feature is working, because mine stop working. Took my car into the dealership, they found some module (there is a physical module that controls this) was broken. They replaced for free, everything was fine again.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I agree that the car was likely, for some reason, unlocked. My local PD responds all night to reports of people 'trying door handles' in parking lots.

My only guess, other than all of the above, is that the unlock button was accidentally pressed at some point.

But glad that there wasn't any real damage.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Did you happen to leave the ignition in ACC or ON without the engine running when you exit and lock the car? Happened to me just yesterday. I was playing with my stereo after I parked and shut the engine off then exit and I heard this rapid beep, beep, beep, ... I initially thought the car was locked (my walk away locking is enabled) but then I got curious and went back and check. Wouldn't you know it, the ignition was in ON and the door wasn't locked. I know the power will go out automatically after 30 minutes (or is it 15?), but I'm wondering if it will lock the door too?
Sponsored