2018civiclx

First Name
nunya?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
Ok so the plastic trim on the door tends to scratch and scuff easily, I’ve tried simple solutions but nothing is working.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 Honda Civic LX door plastic scuffs 21903130-09E4-4A30-8C39-005BD3B6E885
Sponsored

orio89

First Name
Ori
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I am having the SAME issues. What the heck is that material anyways? It scratches and scuffs SO easily. I have yet to find a solution. I've heard heat guns, but given the texture (woven twill look) I don't think that is a good idea. I've tried interior scratch remover, baking soda and water, IPA wipe. Nothing. I'm looking into some sort of cover or something to replace it. Seriously pisses me off. Let me know if you find a solution- I'll also keep you posted.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
It’s a civic, don’t worry about it. If it really bothers you, you can buy replacements at the parts counter at the dealership. They’re probably less expensive than you think, but it will require removing the entire door panel and some screwdriver or trim remover tool work.

Maybe you could buy a replacement from another trim level that has fabric or leather on it. They all fit as long as it is the same body.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
It’s a civic, don’t worry about it. If it really bothers you, you can buy replacements at the parts counter at the dealership. They’re probably less expensive than you think, but it will require removing the entire door panel and some screwdriver or trim remover tool work.

Maybe you could buy a replacement from another trim level that has fabric or leather on it. They all fit as long as it is the same body.
Easy solution but hard to do. I can’t even find a part number for the cloth/leather pieces and ANYTHING interior trim from Honda is expensive. The best bet is to find them in a junk yard, but that’s been hard too.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think i’d just live with it and let your passengers continue to bang em up. Be thankful it’s not an expensive luxury car. Scuffs in a civic isn’t going to affect resale value.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think i’d just live with it and let your passengers continue to bang em up. Be thankful it’s not an expensive luxury car. Scuffs in a civic isn’t going to affect resale value.
There’s something to be desired in cosmetic upkeep. Also these aren’t some $1200 late 90s shitboxes. We’re spending $22k and up on these cars and you won’t find stuff like this in the competition.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There’s something to be desired in cosmetic upkeep. Also these aren’t some $1200 late 90s shitboxes. We’re spending $22k and up on these cars and you won’t find stuff like this in the competition.
I feel ya. I like to keep my shit nice as well.

All I’m saying is that this stuff happens In every car, especially when people who don’t care about your car as much as you do, ride in the passenger seat.

If you keep this car long enough, there will come a point in time where you stop caring about every little ding, scratch, and sign of wear that accumulates.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I feel ya. I like to keep my shit nice as well.

All I’m saying is that this stuff happens In every car, especially when people who don’t care about your car as much as you do, ride in the passenger seat.

If you keep this car long enough, there will come a point in time where you stop caring about every little ding, scratch, and sign of wear that accumulates.
Yeah, normal wear I don’t car much about. My car is far from perfect and most things don’t bother me, it’s just the plastic of the door cards is so ridiculously soft. Like it’s not even wear by normal standard. You just look at it and it scuffs. I’m just gonna vinyl wrap these things with a CF pattern and leave it be.

orio89

First Name
Ori
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Yeah, normal wear I don’t car much about. My car is far from perfect and most things don’t bother me, it’s just the plastic of the door cards is so ridiculously soft. Like it’s not even wear by normal standard. You just look at it and it scuffs. I’m just gonna vinyl wrap these things with a CF pattern and leave it be.
I feel ya. I don't get it. I'm super careful and that shit gets scuffed like crazy

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Many years ago in a house I had floor tile that scratched easily & I used a solvent to get rid of the scratches. Not sure how I discovered this but just used a rag dampened in solvent.

What I think was happening is the solvent was melting the scuffs & scratches & making the roughed up material smooth again. You don’t want to melt the grainy finish of the trim panel, just the microscopic roughed up material. That’s the best way I can describe things, but whatever was happening worked great on the wood grained floor tile.

Perhaps the proper strength solvent will smooth out scuffs on the door trim without melting the panel into a blob. Hopefully the plastic has some toughness in order to tolerate oils or chemicals that might be on the hands of a technician working on the car.

I’ve never used a solvent on a door trim panel so try at your own risk. Maybe try 70% alcohol, Brakleen, Throttle Body & Air-Intake Cleaner (that will melt some plastics). Obviously best to try a solvent in a hidden area of the trim panel.
Sponsored