2018 Honda civic Dealership Inspection said Front and Rear brakes are binding, and Rear L/R shock is leaking

pkeny2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I have a 2018 Honda Civic EX-T. It has 17,000 miles. I left it for ~1 year sitting and not turning it on or driving it when I moved to a new state. Later, I had the car transported to me and now it is my daily driver again.

I did a service a year ago before transporting my car and dealer did not note anything, just typical maintenance. I just got a service done again by a dealer and during the inspection they told me:

1. Front and Rear Brake binding. I need to take calipers apart, clean it, sand down the rotors, and lubricate it ($240)
  2. The L/R, rear shock is leaking. I need to replace it ($360)
Is this common for a 10th gen honda civic to have these issues already? I feel like 17,000 miles is nothing. Would me not driving my car for ~1 year cause these issues or would the car have these issues from the transportation?
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I've read about the rear shocks a lot. But I have no expertise on the brake issue.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
You answered your own question. Those things happened because you left the car unmoved for a year.

Ducota

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si 2021 Accord Sport 2.0 2015 FiT Sport
Country flag
Count your blessings those are your only issues. Could have had fuel related problems.

OP
OP

pkeny2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Should I replace shocks with OEM shocks? Or use some third party shocks instead? Wondering if Honda shocks aren't as durable as some third party ones.

briq4

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
2017 Touring here, Original Brakes original shocks 79,000 miles. And while it didn't sit for a full year, it sat for weeks at a time during the pandemic. There is a trick sneaky service people do with dripping a little oil around the shock and saying look it's leaking. Do you have handling issues? You probably can't tell if there is tire wear at 17K though. And for the brakes yeah rust can form under the pad retainers which makes them hold the pads too tight but it's a REALLY simple fix. if you can remove bolts and use a metal brush, you can do it all yourself.
Sponsored