Boba24

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
Hi I installed a gizmo android head unit to my 18 civic but I can seem to get the steering wheel controls to work. I’ve seen the Phoenix installation on YouTube which is a different model than mine but there seems to be a wire on the harness that plugs into both end of the CanBus. My wiring harness only plugs into one end. I contacted the seller and he told me it only needs to be plugged into 1 end, but it’s not working for me. Has any of you guys used a android aftermarket system had the same problem? Please any help is appreciated! For I have spent close to 4/5 hrs researching this problem. Thanks ahead!

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 Honda Civic android head unit steering wheel controls 95B0D337-22A1-405D-AE70-7F39B281AD6D

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 Honda Civic android head unit steering wheel controls AFAC5DB5-F269-4481-BFFA-DDD7A5871CB3

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 Honda Civic android head unit steering wheel controls 6E052166-4B7D-448C-9073-2A2A50D13200

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 Honda Civic android head unit steering wheel controls 0BDF018C-58AC-4013-99C4-ED145A9AA891

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 Honda Civic android head unit steering wheel controls B47C8DEB-9D33-4AD7-A5D5-56C19384C4A9

mforcino

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Yeah I have one that’s very similar to that. I was able to get the backup cam to work but not the steering wheel controls. I tried all the canbus settings and plugs with no success. I’ve researched it and tried a bunch of different things, but no luck. At this point I’m just glad I have a bigger screen and Apple car play. I’ve given up on the steering wheel controls, lmk if you manage to get it working.

OP
OP

Boba24

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
Yeah I have one that’s very similar to that. I was able to get the backup cam to work but not the steering wheel controls. I tried all the canbus settings and plugs with no success. I’ve researched it and tried a bunch of different things, but no luck. At this point I’m just glad I have a bigger screen and Apple car play. I’ve given up on the steering wheel controls, lmk if you manage to get it working.
Dang... yeah we’re in same boat. Ive literally tried everything you’ve done. I’m thinking of getting a Bluetooth steering wheel button to clip on to my steering wheel to have some functionality. You think those work well? What about changing the view of the backup camera? Were you able to do that?

mforcino

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dang... yeah we’re in same boat. Ive literally tried everything you’ve done. I’m thinking of getting a Bluetooth steering wheel button to clip on to my steering wheel to have some functionality. You think those work well? What about changing the view of the backup camera? Were you able to do that?
No I’m only able to get the default backup camera setting. I’m not even going to bother with any sort of steering wheel control. I bought it from a local for $75 so it isn’t a big deal for me. I will say the overall feel and look of the 9” touchscreen is amazing and 100 times better than the stock 5”. I think these android units are more responsive than the Honda ones.

OP
OP

Boba24

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
No I’m only able to get the default backup camera setting. I’m not even going to bother with any sort of steering wheel control. I bought it from a local for $75 so it isn’t a big deal for me. I will say the overall feel and look of the 9” touchscreen is amazing and 100 times better than the stock 5”. I think these android units are more responsive than the Honda ones.
Dang you got a good deal man. I spent $200 for mine and yes I do agree the android screens are better than original screens for sure.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think these android units are more responsive than the Honda ones.
I hope so, the original head unit is so slow, sometimes I have to wait 2 or 3 seconds till it reacts after pressing a button.

But I enjoy the voice commands and steering wheel buttons, so I have to deal with this slow motion experience.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I found a video of someone installing an aftermarket head unit. At the end of the video at 17:36 he's checking the steering wheel controlls:

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here is another one as you can see in several parts of the video he's going to use the steering wheel buttons:

Maybe you can find something he did different with the cables, while installing?

If not I would contact the dealer and ask him, if he has some advice.

mforcino

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Each head unit is different and has different canbus settings. The steering wheel controls are supposed to work automatically when you choose the “civic” setting. The only option we have would be to order a new canbus but I’m not even sure if it would work with certain head units.

mforcino

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hope so, the original head unit is so slow, sometimes I have to wait 2 or 3 seconds till it reacts after pressing a button.

But I enjoy the voice commands and steering wheel buttons, so I have to deal with this slow motion experience.
We both have the 5” screen that comes with the sport or lx so there’s no voice commands or any of that. It’s just a simple radio with Bluetooth so the android units are a huge step up.
Sponsored