First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hey all,

2018 HB Sport owner in NE Florida. Besides work, there has not been a lot to do thanks to Covid-19, so I bought the leather armrests from HondaPartsNow and they'll be delivered today. I have tried looking far and wide to see a video or some pictures of the removal of the armrests, but the only videos I have seen out there just cover 10th gen door panel removal as a whole unit. I am at the very least going to document the process(albiet, very similar to those videos) with the additional steps to remove the cloth armrests and swap them with OEM leather ones. I have not done a whole lot with cars so for me, I wanted to make sure I knew every step to remove those armrests so I do not mess up my door panels, but since no one has covered that exact part, I want to document it for others who might be anxious about it like myself. I'll post pictures after I am off work and receive my parts, thanks for checking this thread!

***The parts ordered are:
83554-TGG-A61ZA
83504-TGG-A61ZA
Sponsored

Last edited:

SpringRubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport, CVT, White
Country flag
You are going to love this upgrade. I did it in the Fall and followed this video for removing the door panels:

I read many posts here that you have to take off the panel to do the swap. After it was off I totally confirm it's one big solvent-welded plastic panel. Weird and looks involved but go slowly and you'll be fine. I had ordered a few green clips to have on hand in case any broke -- but none did. Once off it's a few screws to remove the armrest from the panel. Video shows a Type R but this is the exact process.

Doing the console as well? The CR-V Insight parts are cheaper than the ones for the Civic Hatch - Touring. Attached has the part #s I used for black w/ white stitching -- matches great with my black/ivory cloth seats. I bought the dampening hinge pin and it's worth it.

Good luck!

Attachments

Last edited:

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Hey all,

2018 HB Sport owner in NE Florida. Besides work, there has not been a lot to do thanks to Covid-19, so I bought the leather armrests from HondaPartsNow and they'll be delivered today. I have tried looking far and wide to see a video or some pictures of the removal of the armrests, but the only videos I have seen out there just cover 10th gen door panel removal as a whole unit. I am at the very least going to document the process(albiet, very similar to those videos) with the additional steps to remove the cloth armrests and swap them with OEM leather ones. I have not done a whole lot with cars so for me, I wanted to make sure I knew every step to remove those armrests so I do not mess up my door panels, but since no one has covered that exact part, I want to document it for others who might be anxious about it like myself. I'll post pictures after I am off work and receive my parts, thanks for checking this thread!

83554-TGG-A61ZA
83504-TGG-A61ZA

these armrests, are they for the front or the back?

itsDjFlip

First Name
Flip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX, 2011 CR-Z EX
Country flag
You are going to love this upgrade. I did it in the Fall and followed this video for removing the door panels:

I read many posts here that you have to take off the panel to do the swap. After it was off I totally confirm it's one big solvent-welded plastic panel. Weird and looks involved but go slowly and you'll be fine. I had ordered a few green clips to have on hand in case any broke -- but none did. Once off it's a few screws to remove the armrest from the panel. Video shows a Type R but this is the exact process.

Doing the console as well? The CR-V parts are cheaper than the ones for the Civic Hatch - Touring. Attached has the part #s I used for black w/ white stitching -- matches great with my black/ivory cloth seats. I bought the dampening hinge pin and it's worth it.

Good luck!
heads up, the tracking number still shows for some odd reason.
thanks for the parts #, i'll see if local dealership can match it!

SpringRubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The numbers OP posted refer to the fronts.

I kept my rear ones with the original scratchy cloth as they don't get much use

Last edited:

OP
OP
JDMDownload

JDMDownload

4.FK7s.Sake
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
They were just for the front, most of the time I have my back seats down and have had maybe 2 people in my backseat ever lol. The driver side one was nasty so I scrubbed it down after removing

OP
OP
JDMDownload

JDMDownload

4.FK7s.Sake
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hey all,

83554-TGG-A61ZA
83504-TGG-A61ZA
So easy to install the two, took me less than 10 minutes from start to finish for both doors. Most of my time was spent looking for a flathead and a Phillips head! I will upload pictures tomorrow of the before and after, as well as the screws to look for after removing the door panel

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
They were just for the front, most of the time I have my back seats down and have had maybe 2 people in my backseat ever lol. The driver side one was nasty so I scrubbed it down after removing

My leather center console arriving tomorrow. I should have got the armrests also.

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag

Doing the console as well? The CR-V parts are cheaper than the ones for the Civic Hatch - Touring. Attached has the part #s I used for black w/ white stitching -- matches great with my black/ivory cloth seats. I bought the dampening hinge pin and it's worth it.

Good luck!

I'm trying to make the switch between the cloth and leather center console right now. On the leather or the cloth center console, how many screws do i need to remove in order to remove the top cloth or leather armrest piece? i'm seeing only two screws and it it is still pretty tight on the end that i don't see screws.

SpringRubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For the console lid it's typically replaced as one assembly, see this post with pics:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/upgrading-from-cloth-to-leather-trim.12576/
From the back seat you pry off a plastic trim piece to expose the hinge pin for the lid. Remove the pin, swap out the lid assembly, re-install the hinge pin, re-attach the plastic trim. Note that in the hatchback there is a C-clip holding the pin in place but not all models have that. (Mine did and I have a 2018.)
Also, if you read through that old post, someone who ordered an incorrect lid assembly for their car was apparently able to pry off the cloth / pleather tops after removing those 2 screws you see on the underside of the lid. But if you have the correct replacement part for your car those screws don't come into play.

OP
OP
JDMDownload

JDMDownload

4.FK7s.Sake
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
For the console lid it's typically replaced as one assembly, see this post with pics:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/upgrading-from-cloth-to-leather-trim.12576/
From the back seat you pry off a plastic trim piece to expose the hinge pin for the lid. Remove the pin, swap out the lid assembly, re-install the hinge pin, re-attach the plastic trim. Note that in the hatchback there is a C-clip holding the pin in place but not all models have that. (Mine did and I have a 2018.)
Also, if you read through that old post, someone who ordered an incorrect lid assembly for their car was apparently able to pry off the cloth / pleather tops after removing those 2 screws you see on the underside of the lid. But if you have the correct replacement part for your car those screws don't come into play.
I plan to do the center console some time in the future, however this was just for the armrests in the door, but thank you in advance for the insight! I do not want to pay for the civic leather ones if the Insight ones are interchangeable and cheaper

SpringRubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I plan to do the center console some time in the future, however this was just for the armrests in the door, but thank you in advance for the insight! I do not want to pay for the civic leather ones if the Insight ones are interchangeable and cheaper
You're welcome and thanks for the nudge about the console part compatibility with Honda Insight vs CR-V -- my bad and I just edited my earlier post. Yes --buy the 2019 Insight leather parts as they are a perfect fit for a lot less.

Deep black lid assembly for 2018 Civic Hatch Sport: 83441-TGG-A00ZA $190.88
For the 2019 Insight: 83441-TXM-A01ZA $48.82

Last edited:

maaaaackle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
You're welcome and thanks for the nudge about the console part compatibility with Honda Insight vs CR-V -- my bad and I just edited my earlier post. Yes --buy the 20109 Insight leather parts as they are a perfect fit for a lot less.

Deep black lid assembly for 2018 Civic Hatch Sport: 83441-TGG-A00ZA $190.88
For the 2019 Insight: 83441-TXM-A01ZA $48.82
Did the little hinge piece really make that much of a difference ??

I'm lookin at your parts list (thanks btw) and that hinge is $30. is it worth it?

SpringRubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
^ Yep, totally worth it because I hated the way the lid would drop with a slam if I let it go. Above I called it a dampening hinge but 'friction hinge' or torque hinge (Honda's term) is really more descriptive. With it the lid stays in place at any angle and you bring it down yourself. Agree the $30 price is a bit laughable for what it does but sometimes it's the little things that make a difference.

Also, my prior drive (for 17 years) was a '00 Acura TL with leather and some nice creature comforts which I miss in my 2018 Sport.

e.g., the glove box! The TL had a device that gently allowed the door to fully open instead of it just flopping down like in my Sport. (hmmm, makes me wonder if the glove box is maybe different in the Touring trim?) And speaking of minor upgrades, 2 of the toilets in my house have lids that close gently, Kohler quiet-close, like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-...ront-Toilet-Seat-in-White-K-22203-0/309644767. Finish my business, bring the lid forward and walk away as the lid closes itself. Kohler totally built a better mousetrap with that!

Anyway, back to the console . . . the pin needs to come out to remove the old lid and as I was saving a bunch going with the Insight model # that some awesome folks on this forum originally provided it was pretty easy for me to rationalize adding it to my order. But the big upgrade is the look and smooth feel of the leather. You'll be happy either way! (oh, and when it comes time to replace a toilet seat, consider the quiet close!)

Last edited:

maaaaackle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
^ Yep, totally worth it because I hated the way the lid would drop with a slam if I let it go. Above I called it a dampening hinge but 'friction hinge' or torque hinge (Honda's term) is really more descriptive. With it the lid stays in place at any angle and you bring it down yourself. Agree the $30 price is a bit laughable for what it does but sometimes it's the little things that make a difference.

Also, my prior drive (for 17 years) was a '00 Acura TL with leather and some nice creature comforts which I miss in my 2018 Sport.

e.g., the glove box! The TL had a device that gently allowed the door to fully open instead of it just flopping down like in my Sport. (hmmm, makes me wonder if the glove box is maybe different in the Touring trim?) And speaking of minor upgrades, 2 of the toilets in my house have lids that close gently, Kohler quiet-close, like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-...ront-Toilet-Seat-in-White-K-22203-0/309644767. Finish my business, bring the lid forward and walk away as the lid closes itself. Kohler totally built a better mousetrap with that!

Anyway, back to the console . . . the pin needs to come out to remove the old lid and as I was saving a bunch going with the Insight model # that some awesome folks on this forum originally provided it was pretty easy for me to rationalize adding it to my order. But the big upgrade is the look and smooth feel of the leather. You'll be happy either way! (oh, and when it comes time to replace a toilet seat, consider the quiet close!)
LOL thanks for the information on the toilet as well as the hinge.

I ordered the same parts according to your list.
Sponsored