2018 GTI - 242HP!

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
My point is that the VW's have been over-engineered, complicated, plasticky cars for a long time. Things like that give them a bad rep. But guess what?? NOW the CivicX is an over-engineered, complicated plasticky car now also. Turbocharger, fussy infotainment system, thin sheet metal, self-destructing sunrrofs, plastic engine components were they used to be metal parts, major sub-assemblies now manufactured by an outside vendor for Honda. Sounds just like a VW to me, and nothing like my ultra-reliable Prelude.
There is some truth to this due to the rise of ECU controls and government standards. That said, the Japanese build philosophy continues to prioritize simplicity above all else. Every single mechanic I have spoken with, tells the same story. German manufacturers like VW build great cars. They don't build great cars to work on.

Third party repair shops use a software calculator to estimate labor hours, based on a typical task outlined in the manufacturer service manual. On average, VW tasks require 30-40% more labor hours due to the interconnectivity of components. Unlike the Japanese, who look at a vehicle as a system of modules, German manufacturers look at the entire platform as a unit. The advantage is a system where components work in better harmony with one another (when they work).

For others following this discussion, and are looking to keep a car for the long haul, don't just take my word for it. Talk with several experienced mechanics in your area. Mechanics with a wide range of experience on modern cars. You'll probably see a similar theme as I have seen. YMMV.
Sponsored

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic EX, 2016 Civic EX
You do realize that this same issue has happened to ALOT of CivicX owners here, right??

The cause of this in VWs is the same as the cause in Hondas. Generally something simple that just looks real bad because all of the lights come on. People have gotten rid of their CivicX over this very thing.

Let's be realistic here
True but i am just skeptical on the VW. I mean physically they are beautiful to look at and they must be fun to drive but to justify 40k for a Golf R seems kinda crazy to me. for another 5k you can buy a Chevy SS or Charger scat pack and you're putting out double the power, and size at the expense of fuel consumption but still for it's class the Golf R seems really overpriced. However the GTI is reasonable rate for what you are getting.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This new GTI looks fresh, yeah its not huge on styling upgrades but TBH its already been a clean, tidy design. All the right changes where it's needed, that goofy head unit is finally gone, gauges look modern and Audi-esque too...

The new wheels are a step back, though.

OP
OP

MickeyDubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Golf R
This new GTI looks fresh, yeah its not huge on styling upgrades but TBH its already been a clean, tidy design. All the right changes where it's needed, that goofy head unit is finally gone, gauges look modern and Audi-esque too...

The new wheels are a step back, though.
One of the things I go to most about the VW's is how clean they look. Even the Civic HB Sport borders on "a high school senior's first car." As a 30 year old professional who enjoys sporty cars it's quite annoying... I'd seriously consider a CTR if it wasn't for the over-the-top red highlighting, rear wing, and heavy badging.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
One of the things I go to most about the VW's is how clean they look. Even the Civic HB Sport borders on "a high school senior's first car." As a 30 year old professional who enjoys sporty cars it's quite annoying... I'd seriously consider a CTR if it wasn't for the over-the-top red highlighting, rear wing, and heavy badging.
Me too, although the GTI while it doesn't have the boy racer look, it does have a certain look - I find a lot of professionals sort of make fun of GTI guys.

OP
OP

MickeyDubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Golf R
Me too, although the GTI while it doesn't have the boy racer look, it does have a certain look - I find a lot of professionals sort of make fun of GTI guys.
Sure... but what do they drive? I don't value luxury brands enough to continue buying them at this point (Audi, BMW, Acura, etc.)

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Sure... but what do they drive? I don't value luxury brands enough to continue buying them at this point (Audi, BMW, Acura, etc.)
They're not looking down on VWs, it's more of like they consider it the 50 year old computer nerd's car or something. (meaning it's a 20 year old's car.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here's my MkV GTI that I've had since 2010 and still love the look of it. But it's nearly 120K miles and repairs are expensive for this baby. Seems like every repair runs $300-600. And repairs are getting more often despite religiously changing the oil every 3,000 miles.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 GTI - 242HP! R0J6HBpl

thaseint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
Well damn...now that we have pretty much confirmed the Civic Si won't come as a hatch the new GTI is my second choice should the CTR become too expensive with tacked on ADMs.

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Life's too short to drive a civic long term. I'm considering getting a sportier car than an econobox in the next couple of years.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Here's my MkV GTI that I've had since 2010 and still love the look of it. But it's nearly 120K miles and repairs are expensive for this baby. Seems like every repair runs $300-600. And repairs are getting more often despite religiously changing the oil every 3,000 miles.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 GTI - 242HP! R0J6HBpl
Not to argue, but my wife has a 2006 Impreza with about 115K miles on it and we put about a grand a year into that crapper. This year alone we are at about $850 into it, $700 for spark plug tube seals (caused misfiring) and $150 for suspension work as it was chewing up one tire (known corroding control arms).

It's what motivated me to buy my GTI. My wife won't give up her Impreza...well she is on board for Civic Hatch, hopefully soon...I can actually be OK with putting in several hundred into repairs for my GTI when it is older because it is so much more awesome than any car in its class, by long miles! It sucks feeding hundreds into my wifes Impreza, because it is a boring car to drive, kinda like a AWD Corolla, if they made one.

Life is too short to buy cars that are reliable in the long long run ( I still doubt turbo Honda will be any better than turbo German cars). The consensus on GTIs are that they easily go 100K before any repairs start to become regular. That is fine by me. Especially considering most GTI people are saying 100K+ on TUNED cars.
We are on a new car forum, people debating how long a car will last is silly. You are on a new car forum because you like new cars. A GTI will last longer than most peoples attention span.

thaseint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
Life is too short to buy cars that are reliable in the long long run ( I still doubt turbo Honda will be any better than turbo German cars). The consensus on GTIs are that they easily go 100K before any repairs start to become regular. That is fine by me. Especially considering most GTI people are saying 100K+ on TUNED cars.
That's what I always hear which is good.

My biggest problem is venturing outside familiar waters. I've mostly worked on Japanese cars and like that you can practically disassemble the entire car with a 10mm socket.

I did a few minor things on my wife's GTI before she sold it. Things seemed somewhat on par with Honda, the big difference being the specialty tools and unique service procedures required.

Personally I don't really mind frequent repairs or expensive parts so long as I enjoy the car, the big thing for me is being able to DIY most things in a reasonable amount of time. If common 100k+ GTI problems involve 4+ hours worth of work...then count me out.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
We could get into the semantics of how that translates to a $15-25K loss every few years. But let's just say there are members here who put well over 30K/yr on their cars.
What loss are you talking about?
Sponsored