2018 GTI - 242HP!

MickeyDubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Golf R
Was looking at blogs and came across this-

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/10/2018-volkswagen-golf-european-refresh-official-73635/

"The updated GTI is more probable for the US, though. In Euro spec, it gets a healthy power boost to 227 horsepower on the standard model (up from 210 hp), and up to 242 hp on the Performance version (up from 220 hp)"

Really hope Honda is planning on putting some power in the SI. I know it's not a direct comparison to the GTI (Fully equiped GTI is 31k), but that's some nice power in a non-"performance" hatch!
Sponsored

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Keeping the tradition of ugly GTI wheels going. Not sure how they do it, you'd think one year they'd not be ugly, just by chance.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Keeping the tradition of ugly GTI wheels going. Not sure how they do it, you'd think one year they'd not be ugly, just by chance.
yeah and how are the current Honda wheels ANY better? They damn near look like they were designed by the same people.

And yeah, this is why I keep saying the Si better be 2.0T.....all the competition needs to do is tweak their 2.0T's a little to stomp on the Honda 1.5T.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Was looking at blogs and came across this-

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/10/2018-volkswagen-golf-european-refresh-official-73635/

"The updated GTI is more probable for the US, though. In Euro spec, it gets a healthy power boost to 227 horsepower on the standard model (up from 210 hp), and up to 242 hp on the Performance version (up from 220 hp)"

Really hope Honda is planning on putting some power in the SI. I know it's not a direct comparison to the GTI (Fully equiped GTI is 31k), but that's some nice power in a non-"performance" hatch!
An Autobahn is $34,000 what are you talking about?

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
That's more in line with CTR pricing.

OP
OP

MickeyDubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Golf R
That's more in line with CTR pricing.
If you're comparing pricing- yes. If you're comparing what the car is geared towards- no.

The SI is a sporty daily driver. The CTR is a performance or track car.
The GTI is a sporty daily driver. The Golf-R is a performance or track car.

If you're talking about targeted audience, the GTI and the SI are geared towards the same target group.

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic EX, 2016 Civic EX
I just looked up the Golf R and i must say that is an impressive car. What are the problems that plague VW? that's the reason i have always stayed away from them.

OP
OP

MickeyDubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Golf R
I just looked up the Golf R and i must say that is an impressive car. What are the problems that plague VW? that's the reason i have always stayed away from them.
I was very close to buying a Golf R. VW is known for reliability issues. These forums you see a good amount of the same problem coming up, VW will be different for each thread. Everything from bumper pucks being left in, power windows failing, water pumps failing, etc. It's generally said to be prepared to take the car back to the dealer a few times for minor fixes and long term reliability isn't the same as what Honda is.

That being said, it's an amazing car. Lots of power, doesn't look like a high schoolers wet dream, good fit and finish on the interior, fun to drive, smooth transmission, AWD, etc.

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic EX, 2016 Civic EX
I was very close to buying a Golf R. VW is known for reliability issues. These forums you see a good amount of the same problem coming up, VW will be different for each thread. Everything from bumper pucks being left in, power windows failing, water pumps failing, etc. It's generally said to be prepared to take the car back to the dealer a few times for minor fixes and long term reliability isn't the same as what Honda is.

That being said, it's an amazing car. Lots of power, doesn't look like a high schoolers wet dream, good fit and finish on the interior, fun to drive, smooth transmission, AWD, etc.
That's what i figured. Alot of my friends that have them call their dash board "the christmas tree" with all the lights they have on. It is a great looking car i have to admit but the reliability is what has always kept me away.

OP
OP

MickeyDubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Golf R
That's what i figured. Alot of my friends that have them call their dash board "the christmas tree" with all the lights they have on. It is a great looking car i have to admit but the reliability is what has always kept me away.
Yeah the SI/CTR/Golf R is a round circle argument for me. Money isn't all that much of a deciding factor for my next car..

Well CTR is going to be sportier than the SI... But then the Golf R is AWD and CTR is FWD... but now I'm at 40k, the SI is only 25k....

it's endless...

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Bad reputation. The vast majority of "Mk7" GTI and R owners experience no "real" issues, other than misaligned expectations about Android Auto or Carplay, rattles, a fuel gauge that comes off of the "F" mark within 30 miles. There were some early revision turbo failures that VW replaced all of despite being tuned or high miles.

The "Good" Honda reputation was born of a totally different Honda than you see today. The Good rep of Honda was built on simple, elegant cars that punched above their weight, were reliable because of simplicity. My Prelude has survived 30 years of life without any of the issues that crop up in the CivicX. Because it is a simple, honest car.
People assume that the new, complicated, plasticy, turbocharged Hondas are gonna be as reliable as that 1993 Civic DX with crank windows and no A/C. Then the Honda fanbois bitch when publications knock the new CivicX down in ratings, which it wholly deserves.

I own a 2016 GTI for a year now. And I have my old Prelude for 22 years now. I will be honest, there is no way my GTI will be as reliable as my Prelude as long as the Prelude has been. BUT, after a year, I seriously get the feeling that the GTI will be reliable for a lot longer than most people are comfortable keeping a car.

Honda fanbois will jump in and say "well, whatever after 60K miles that car will start falling apart and costing you big $$ to fix" and it seemed to happen to some people, they were getting DSG fault messages after warranty. People started freaking out, saying they should never have bought a GTI, then someone discovers that the DSG fault is just an inexpensive switch in the console shifter that starts to wear out over time, but the error faults make you think your DSG is on it's last leg.

My point is that the VW's have been over-engineered, complicated, plasticky cars for a long time. Things like that give them a bad rep. But guess what?? NOW the CivicX is an over-engineered, complicated plasticky car now also. Turbocharger, fussy infotainment system, thin sheet metal, self-destructing sunrrofs, plastic engine components were they used to be metal parts, major sub-assemblies now manufactured by an outside vendor for Honda. Sounds just like a VW to me, and nothing like my ultra-reliable Prelude.

Don't get me wrong, my co-worker asked me about my GTI, and wanted to know if he should get one. He told me what he expected from a car, and I said, "well, you better go look at the new CivicX". He just bought a 2017 EX-T on my recommendation. The GTI is not a good fit for him.

I keep saying it, the new CivicX will NOT live up to the typical Honda reputation for reliability that was forged in the 80's and 90's. The early 2000 cars have already shown that Honda slipped. And now their cars are even more complicated. I don't think that makes them a "BAD" car anymore, but I sure hope Honda fanbois stop bashing the GOOD VW's like GTI and R when the new CivicX's will not be any more reliable than those VWs. Most modern cars are sufficiently reliable, even VWs.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
You do realize that this same issue has happened to ALOT of CivicX owners here, right??

The cause of this in VWs is the same as the cause in Hondas. Generally something simple that just looks real bad because all of the lights come on. People have gotten rid of their CivicX over this very thing.

Let's be realistic here