2018 GTI - 242HP!

AndreaCristiano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT RS
Sure, this is good for is the first few years of buyers. This is not a good thing for anyone buying the 6th year production run of the same body style.
I actually feel the opposite, for me when I see the last Gen civic it looks OLD and DATED already and its only a few years old meanwhile the VW/audi models still look great and age well, so when i own one and its 10 years old i won't regret it and want the newest for no other reason than different sheet metal
Sponsored

Last edited:

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
I actually feel the opposite, for me when I see the last ten civic it looks OLD and DATED already and its only a few years old meanwhile the VW/audi models still look great and age well, so when i own one and its 10 years old i won't regret it and want the newest for no other reason than different sheet metal
Negative, who in their right mind pays to have a car that looks like it's 10 years old? To me the Golf is as attractive as a box of tissues....Kleenex actually

AndreaCristiano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT RS
Negative, who in their right mind pays to have a car that looks like it's 10 years old? To me the Golf is as attractive as a box of tissues....Kleenex actually
Figures you wouldn't understand. Let me explain this as easy as I can. The VW/Audis/porsches age better because they're style is evolutionary therefore a 10 year old car doesn't look 10 years old still looks good as the style is still relevant. Meanwhile transversely most automakers change their styling so dramatic that previous models look aged and old. So therefore their styling last longer and that's why it's more timeless, like a great suit or expensive watch

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Figures you wouldn't understand. Let me explain this as easy as I can. The VW/Audis/porsches age better because they're style is evolutionary therefore a 10 year old car doesn't look 10 years old still looks good as the style is still relevant. Meanwhile transversely most automakers change their styling so dramatic that previous models look aged and old. So therefore their styling last longer and that's why it's more timeless, like a great suit or expensive watch
I understand very well what you're trying to say and I say it's boring to look at the same thing over and over and over. A suit no matter how nice you can only wear for so long, after awhile people start to notice. I've owned a few BMW's, a Mitsu, Eagle Talon TSI, Toyota's, Merc & more Honda's then I can count. My father owned an auto repair shop from 1980 to 2010 and I grew up in it and saw everything these automakers had to offer. BMW was at one time a serious machine and had my full respect but as some have stated the electrical gremlins that plague them is their downside...that and the serious maintenance costs after the warranty is up and after 2000 with the new body for the 3 series they were a disaster. I owned one and it was at Service for warranty work more then in my driveway. VW's were never viewed in our eyes as reliable cars. All Jettas were junk and ridden with problems. The rabbit Diesel was a hell of a car, I could go on and on. I had a 1987 Accord LX-i that I drove to Miami in 96 from NJ with 180,000 on the clock for 17 hours straight each way without a hick up. That's engineering, that's reliability.

AndreaCristiano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT RS
I understand very well what you're trying to say and I say it's boring to look at the same thing over and over and over. A suit no matter how nice you can only wear for so long, after awhile people start to notice. I've owned a few BMW's, a Mitsu, Eagle Talon TSI, Toyota's, Merc & more Honda's then I can count. My father owned an auto repair shop from 1980 to 2010 and I grew up in it and saw everything these automakers had to offer. BMW was at one time a serious machine and had my full respect but as some have stated the electrical gremlins that plague them is their downside...that and the serious maintenance costs after the warranty is up and after 2000 with the new body for the 3 series they were a disaster. I owned one and it was at Service for warranty work more then in my driveway. VW's were never viewed in our eyes as reliable cars. All Jettas were junk and ridden with problems. The rabbit Diesel was a hell of a car, I could go on and on. I had a 1987 Accord LX-i that I drove to Miami in 96 from NJ with 180,000 on the clock for 17 hours straight each way without a hick up. That's engineering, that's reliability.
That's a different discussion. We're talking styling not reliability. That's also changed dramatically over the years. To each his own I guess. If I was leasing my next car I wouldn't care about style but I will finance to keep for a good while so I want a timeless style. That's one of he negatives I see with the civic the other being the low torque in the engine

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's a different discussion. We're talking styling not reliability. That's also changed dramatically over the years. To each his own I guess. If I was leasing my next car I wouldn't care about style but I will finance to keep for a good while so I want a timeless style. That's one of he negatives I see with the civic the other being the low torque in the engine
Bruh go for dat GTI :drive: enjoy it

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@AndreaCristiano, don't get me wrong, everyone should buy what they feel comfortable driving. I just don't get why you're in a 10th gen forum telling Honda Enthusiasts how the car already looks dated etc? I can't see myself going over to a VW forum and sharing my views in a forum that loves them about how I think otherwise and how I'm going to go buy a new Type R because I think there's nothing appealing about the looks of the VW R???

AndreaCristiano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT RS
@AndreaCristiano, don't get me wrong, everyone should buy what they feel comfortable driving. I just don't get why you're in a 10th gen forum telling Honda Enthusiasts how the car already looks dated etc? I can't see myself going over to a VW forum and sharing my views in a forum that loves them about how I think otherwise and how I'm going to go buy a new Type R because I think there's nothing appealing about the looks of the VW R???
First I never said it looks dated. What I said in this discussion in this thread was that the VW style will last better over time. I also am on this forum because like I said there are three cars that I am considering and as a person looking at them all objectively I can say stuff on here or VWvortex or gminsidenews that the fans of that model might not see or understand. I'm not trying to offend I'm just telling how I see it.

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
for me when I see the last ten civic it looks OLD and DATED already and its only a few years old meanwhile the VW/audil
I saw ten here and that's what it looked like, again no offense

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
I agree that the Golf/GTI doesn't look much different since the Mk5.

I agree that in ten, twenty years the Golf/GTI will be less dated, it's styling doesn't scream "2016 bro!" As someone said, it looks like a box. And in 10-20 years it will still look like a box. Appeals to some of us.

I think the current Civic, front end and interior look great. But I think the rest of the body is WAY too busy, and the sedan is poorly proportioned. I think the hatch CivicX will age best, despite it's monstrous fake vents. It brings together all of the swoops on the side better than the sedan does.

I think in 10 years the CivicX will look somewhat silly. Guys, this is not the "clean sheet" approach that Honda had in the 80's & 90's. This is a way too many swoops and creases kind of car. It screams late-2010's just as bad as how EVERYONE seems to NEED a tattoo these days. It's a trendy style that looks OK/good for now but will not age well.

For German car fans, the generic look of the VW/Audi contrasts against the stylistic look of BMW's. Most people like one or the other, they each have their fans.

JS2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000 , Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
The base Civic 1.5l turbo is putting down 179 hp at the wheels, that equates to 210 crank hp give or take. I'm basing that off Hondata's numbers with a 15 percent drivetrain loss. I think the Civic's 1.5 l turbo is underrated, I've had a couple of turbo Dodges in past years and this Civic feels stronger than the advertised power numbers IMO. With the conservative Hondata ecu mod it will net almost 244 crank hp (207 whp). Not too far off the GTI numbers. People will like one or the other , VW guys will never like the Civic, and many Civic owners won't like the VW.
Sponsored