2018 GTI - 242HP!

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
That's what i figured. Alot of my friends that have them call their dash board "the christmas tree" with all the lights they have on. It is a great looking car i have to admit but the reliability is what has always kept me away.
I've heard the same....lol

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018 GTI - 242HP! 11220860_10203280742257885_5719102382218519989_n
Sponsored

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
What is the point of your post?
It makes him feel better about driving a flimsy, cheaply built car with a 1.5 liter motor, maybe? Or, maybe he has had to take his CivicX into the dealer too many times, or has wanted to but can't find the time to fix all the nagging little problems with the CivicX, that he needs to go out into left field to take "easy" shots at VW because "everyone knows they are poor quality".

I have had my GTI for a year now. Not a damn issue. No rattles from the Fender system, the sheet metal is SOLID and doesn't deform while washing the car, there's no dents in the C pillar, the AC vents don't wander, the sunroof doesn't break itself, the power windows don't break themselves. No "Christmas lights" on the dash....has an actual AUX input, volume knob AND CD player on the MIB2, which by the way is NEVER buggy.

My co-worker bought a CivicX on my advice (GTI not exactly what he needs). He's getting 33MPG so far, and his car does have the dents on the C-pillar and the sheet metal is laughably flimsy on the car, seriously the sheet metal on the hood is about twice as thick as foil. My GTI also gets 33MPG in the same driving as he does (he does a little more highway) and is WAY WAY nicer than his CivicX.

Previously it wasn't fair for me to compare the GTI to CivicX. And I'll admit that. Now that the Si has dropped with a 1.5T, I can now rest assured that the GTI will firmly dominate the sport compact market FOR A LONG TIME NOW.
The Si has a weak motor. Won't go 300HP with a $400 piggyback.
The Si is MT only. People who prefer AT and a sporty car need look elsewhere.
The Si is MT only AND 1.5T? WTF was Honda thinking??

And the fanbois will keep bashing VW for reliability issues. Too bad the CivicX is unreliable too. Anybody ever go to the other subforums on here and see the people who have absolutely given up on Honda? Geez, it seems just like the reputation VW has unfortunately, and justly earned over the years.

I am hardcore, dyed-in-the-wool Honda from the early 90's. I have seen how bad VW WAS. I have seen how great Honda WAS. I have seen Honda appears for more desirable and competitive these days. I also believe they can not relive the reputation for infallible reputation they had in the 90's with these newer, cheaper, more complicated cars. VW has been building these kinds of cars for decades now, Honda has just begun building complicated turbo cars. At this point, I have more faith in VW to build these kinds of cars than Honda does.

I have owned:
2 Preludes, a 1991 Si/SE 2.1L and my current 1987 2.0Si
3 Integras, a new 1997 LS, a CRV-Turbo DA Integra and a beater 91 LS
A 1995 Acura Legend Type II 6MT
2 Acura Vigors
3 Honda Accords

I have owned my 1987 Prelude since 1995. The Preludes and the Legend are by far the BEST Hondas I have ever owned. And I miss my Legend dearly, wish I never sold it. But, I must be honest, this "evil" and "unreliable" GTI is the BEST of any car I have ever owned. It does almost EVERYTHING right. The Legend was a larger sedan and my Prelude is more intense in the twisties, but in every other way the GTI is the best. And yes, way better than my co-workers CivicX EX-T. Now that I know the Si is 1.5T I will say the GTI is way better than the Si also.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
I've heard the same....lol

11220860_10203280742257885_5719102382218519989_n.jpg
Maybe you've not seen this subforum:http://www.civicx.com/forums/issues-repairs-warranty-tsb-recalls.42/

Also, there's lots of frustrated owners who have given up on CivicX in the general forums too.

Like the guy who bought his first Honda for reliability, and now has a stack of rental car receipts:
Bingo. This is the first Honda I've ever owned and I bought it mostly because of the reputation. I'm pretty sure my coworkers who have watched me trudge to the dealership and seen my stack of rental car receipts won't be thinking the same way about Honda after this.

AndreaCristiano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT RS
It makes him feel better about driving a flimsy, cheaply built car with a 1.5 liter motor, maybe? Or, maybe he has had to take his CivicX into the dealer too many times, or has wanted to but can't find the time to fix all the nagging little problems with the CivicX, that he needs to go out into left field to take "easy" shots at VW because "everyone knows they are poor quality".

I have had my GTI for a year now. Not a damn issue. No rattles from the Fender system, the sheet metal is SOLID and doesn't deform while washing the car, there's no dents in the C pillar, the AC vents don't wander, the sunroof doesn't break itself, the power windows don't break themselves. No "Christmas lights" on the dash....has an actual AUX input, volume knob AND CD player on the MIB2, which by the way is NEVER buggy.

My co-worker bought a CivicX on my advice (GTI not exactly what he needs). He's getting 33MPG so far, and his car does have the dents on the C-pillar and the sheet metal is laughably flimsy on the car, seriously the sheet metal on the hood is about twice as thick as foil. My GTI also gets 33MPG in the same driving as he does (he does a little more highway) and is WAY WAY nicer than his CivicX.

Previously it wasn't fair for me to compare the GTI to CivicX. And I'll admit that. Now that the Si has dropped with a 1.5T, I can now rest assured that the GTI will firmly dominate the sport compact market FOR A LONG TIME NOW.
The Si has a weak motor. Won't go 300HP with a $400 piggyback.
The Si is MT only. People who prefer AT and a sporty car need look elsewhere.
The Si is MT only AND 1.5T? WTF was Honda thinking??

And the fanbois will keep bashing VW for reliability issues. Too bad the CivicX is unreliable too. Anybody ever go to the other subforums on here and see the people who have absolutely given up on Honda? Geez, it seems just like the reputation VW has unfortunately, and justly earned over the years.

I am hardcore, dyed-in-the-wool Honda from the early 90's. I have seen how bad VW WAS. I have seen how great Honda WAS. I have seen Honda appears for more desirable and competitive these days. I also believe they can not relive the reputation for infallible reputation they had in the 90's with these newer, cheaper, more complicated cars. VW has been building these kinds of cars for decades now, Honda has just begun building complicated turbo cars. At this point, I have more faith in VW to build these kinds of cars than Honda does.

I have owned:
2 Preludes, a 1991 Si/SE 2.1L and my current 1987 2.0Si
3 Integras, a new 1997 LS, a CRV-Turbo DA Integra and a beater 91 LS
A 1995 Acura Legend Type II 6MT
2 Acura Vigors
3 Honda Accords

I have owned my 1987 Prelude since 1995. The Preludes and the Legend are by far the BEST Hondas I have ever owned. And I miss my Legend dearly, wish I never sold it. But, I must be honest, this "evil" and "unreliable" GTI is the BEST of any car I have ever owned. It does almost EVERYTHING right. The Legend was a larger sedan and my Prelude is more intense in the twisties, but in every other way the GTI is the best. And yes, way better than my co-workers CivicX EX-T. Now that I know the Si is 1.5T I will say the GTI is way better than the Si also.
Dismissing the competition especially serious competition is at their own peril

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Reliability isn't as bad as people say look it up. It's not like Honda is as good as it was
You may be right, I don't know from first hand experience, but the guy across the street from me owns an R32 and it needs 4 grand worth of work at 60k miles. Car is stock and needs a shit load of suspension work and tons of other stuff. Again, not my personal exp, but I've heard plenty from first hand exp owners.

AndreaCristiano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT RS
You may be right, I don't know from first hand experience, but the guy across the street from me owns an R32 and it needs 4 grand worth of work at 60k miles. Car is stock and needs a shit load of suspension work and tons of other stuff. Again, not my personal exp, but I've heard plenty from first hand exp owners.
Well I will say this a lot of drivers of gti and r32 etc drive like asshatts and destroy their cars then blame it on the car. I know that personally I know people who drive it like they stole it and the transmission etc goes while others drive it well and their car has no issues.

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well I will say this a lot of drivers of gti and r32 etc drive like asshatts and destroy their cars then blame it on the car. I know that personally I know people who drive it like they stole it and the transmission etc goes while others drive it well and their car has no issues.
See this is where the issue lies, I've scene generations of Civics take abuse upon abuse from asshole owners and still keep running. They may not be in the best shape, but they always run. I can't speak for the 10th, and we all know first year production problems so we'll see just how reliable the 1.5's are soon enough.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What is the point of your post?
15 billion in fines. Don't think any car company has ever been fined that much. If I owned a VW I'd be pissed. Also, why make a thread on a Honda forum about the most awesomest GTI ever? Go bash Honda on your fucking VW forum.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
If I'm being honest I think the main reason I didn't buy a 2016 GTI is that the car looks so much like the last two gens that you feel like you're buying a 10 year old design. There were other issues, short trunk doesn't suit my need for arranging work bags/boxes, and at 25k miles/year, depreciation was gonna suck. But otherwise it has no competition especially with the $5k discounts right now. It's so much car for $28k.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
15 billion in fines. Don't think any car company has ever been fined that much. If I owned a VW I'd be pissed. Also, why make a thread on a Honda forum about the most awesomest GTI ever? Go bash Honda on your fucking VW forum.
EPA has a vendetta against diesels, Trump needs to clean house.

AndreaCristiano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT RS
It's called competition idiot! This is a very relevant thread as most shoppers aren't brand obsessed or loyalist and just want the best for themselves

AndreaCristiano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT RS
If I'm being honest I think the main reason I didn't buy a 2016 GTI is that the car looks so much like the last two gens that you feel like you're buying a 10 year old design. There were other issues, short trunk doesn't suit my need for arranging work bags/boxes, and at 25k miles/year, depreciation was gonna suck. But otherwise it has no competition especially with the $5k discounts right now. It's so much car for $28k.
Actually that is one of the most endearing quality to many people as there older cars don't look outdated every couple of years. Like most other car companies

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Actually that is one of the most endearing quality to many people as there older cars don't look outdated every couple of years. Like most other car companies

Sure, this is good for is the first few years of buyers. This is not a good thing for anyone buying the 6th year production run of the same body style.
Sponsored