2018 Civic Volume Slider (Steering Wheel)

NSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aegean Blue Honda Civic
Hey Folks,

Just to give a background information, but I sell Honda's in Canada. I know there are some differences with the Civics sold in Canada vs the ones sold in the US (I'll try to list them later if you guys are curious. Not a huge amount to be honest), but I know for the 2016/2017 model years for the Civic (specifically the Sedans - haven't tried the coupes. I know the new SI and the Hatchbacks never had these features to begin with), you could adjust the volume by running your finger/thumb through the ridges of the volume rocker that's on the steering (makes it a bit bearable not having a volume knob), but I've just gotten inside two separate 2018 Civics (an LX and an EX) and the volume slider doesn't work in that manner anymore.

Now, I know some guys here sell Honda's in the states and to be honest, you guys get the cars sooner than we would and I'm just asking for the general public if anyone has heard of such a feature being taken out of them?

Looking forward to your guys replies.
Sponsored

JoYu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type R
Country flag
My 2017 SI does not have the feature. I read Honda removed it because people would accidentally slide their finger across the volume bar.

Note to everyone who wants a quick mute button, you can press the audio power button on the top left (still a touch button...)

OP
OP
NSCIVIC

NSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aegean Blue Honda Civic
My 2017 SI does not have the feature. I read Honda removed it because people would accidentally slide their finger across the volume bar.

Note to everyone who wants a quick mute button, you can press the audio power button on the top left (still a touch button...)
Right on. I'm just surprised that that's the case since whenever I get a client picking up a new Civic, I always mention about the volume slide on the steering wheel. It's so they are aware of it and should only be used when needed.

That feature sort of made it a bit more bearable on not having a volume knob in my opinion.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In my 2017 coupe, it can be set to work like that or as a normal rocker, push the top and volume goes up etc. I turned off the slide or Swype function cause I was a always hitting it by accident and sometimes getting startled by a major volume increase. So it could be that its turned off instead of not available.

dby2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T sedan
Country flag
Did they totally remove that option or did they now change the normal rocker as the default in the new Civics? I would look in the settings to see if you have an option to enable it.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
It's too late for me to wish for it for my hatchback, but I've learned that I would turn it off right away anyway.

My wife's '17 CR-V has the volume slider, and after my first drive in it, I turned the damned slider thing off. A steering wheel is not the proper place for touch-sensitive controls. Hardware buttons are okay, but nothing fancier than that.

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ST Hatch
Country flag
My 18 ST Hatch has a rocker switch for up & down.

MagicMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Coupe 2002 Mercury Cougar V6
Country flag
It's too late for me to wish for it for my hatchback, but I've learned that I would turn it off right away anyway.

My wife's '17 CR-V has the volume slider, and after my first drive in it, I turned the damned slider thing off. A steering wheel is not the proper place for touch-sensitive controls. Hardware buttons are okay, but nothing fancier than that.
Maybe it's more that the inside part of the steering wheel is no place for your hands to be flailing about uncontrolably. I've had my car amost 1.5 years, the slider always active, and have never, not once, inadvertently swiped the volume control.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Maybe it's more that the inside part of the steering wheel is no place for your hands to be flailing about uncontrolably. I've had my car amost 1.5 years, the slider always active, and have never, not once, inadvertently swiped the volume control.
Wow.

You don't need to be a dick about it.

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
The slider on the steering wheel mutes the stereo. By sliding from the very top of the volume control to the very bottom in a quick motion comes up as 'Mute' on my display.

945T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 LX 6mt, Type R waiting list
Country flag
I sell them here in Canada too and I'll have to check that out tomorrow on an '18 sedan or coupe. I have always found it odd that the 'sport mode equipped' models (Hondas terminology) don't have that option, I use it all the time.
It also may just be turned off from the factory now, if '4 way switch gesture' is available in the system settings menu it should work, however.

945T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 LX 6mt, Type R waiting list
Country flag
So delivered a 2018 yesterday, and yes, the sliding feature is gone! How dumb! No option in the settings menu for fou way switch gesture, either. A shame, it is one of my favourite things about my Civic and eliminates the need for a volume knob!

4DBox

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silver EXT, 2018 Volt
Country flag
Maybe they sit too close to the wheel and their body is swiping? Yeah, I agree, I've not once had the volume changed by a motion I hadn't planned. The slider is a great convenience feature but its almost universally maligned by the greater web which makes me wonder if people just don't take the time to learn how things work.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Maybe they sit too close to the wheel and their body is swiping? Yeah, I agree, I've not once had the volume changed by a motion I hadn't planned. The slider is a great convenience feature but its almost universally maligned by the greater web which makes me wonder if people just don't take the time to learn how things work.
More like, I've swiped it accidentally because I use the steering wheel controls by feel, and feeling around for the volume switch means swiping across it.

Again, this is a location where a simple touch shouldn't activate a function. I don't think Honda's engineers completely thought this one through.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The salesperson kept trying to swipe it to show me how it worked which, on a 2018 doesn't apparently.

An more elegant solution would have make it an option to turn off the slide feature. Removing the functionality altogether with the hardware still capable is asinine.
Sponsored