2018 Civic Type R Transmission Replaced under warranty

mecheng32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8
Country flag
Hey everyone. Just wanted to chime in and let everyone know the issues I was having with just a little under 5k miles on my brand new type r.

Just a little background. The car has:

Aftermarket lowering springs, exhaust, front pipe, and wheels.

Just over a month ago, I started hearing a metallic clicking sound from the front passenger wheel when turning hard left. This would happen at all speeds. Well long story short, I took the lower splash shield off to investigate and immediately found a trans leak coming from the axle input shaft and around the drain plug. However no leak from the trans drain plug. Took the car into the dealer and they advised that my clutch case housing casting had a casting line that was pourous and was leaking. It seemed like faulty manufacturing process.

Just got the car back after they replaced the clutch case, trans magnet, oil seals and spacers.
I have Honda defect code and symptom code.

Here’s the best part. The car shifts like a god damn wet dream now. It never shifted this nicely even from day 1. Granted I may be able to attribute some of the easy shifting to switching to redline synthetic trans fluid. But holy hell, no more 1-2 gear grind, no more notchy shifting and the car just shifts amazingly easy and fluid. As much as I hate the fact that my brand new car already has had a full trans replaced under warranty, the result is making me shift with glee around town.

Hopefully Honda will issue a tsb or recall for this issue as I believe this is the reason a lot of type r owners are complaining about the 1-2 gear grind.

Anyhoo, thanks for reading and I hope my misfortune helps someone out.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rasy

First Name
Rasy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW #15337
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for this post! I don't know if I'm hearing a similar noise myself, but I haven't gotten any of the 1-2 issues yet, but every now and then 4-5 wouldn't be smooth. I wonder if it's a issue creeping up (at 1K miles right now on an '18).

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Very interesting! You don't have any pics of what it looks like?

OP
OP

mecheng32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8
Country flag
Thanks for this post! I don't know if I'm hearing a similar noise myself, but I haven't gotten any of the 1-2 issues yet, but every now and then 4-5 wouldn't be smooth. I wonder if it's a issue creeping up (at 1K miles right now on an '18).
Ya 4-5 has been problematic for me too. I’ve been driving stick for 20 years so I know my driving is not the issue.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
I wonder how much of it was the fluid? I remember when people ran gm synchromesh in their Honda's cause it would solve some of the grinds. Your problem was also low fluid levels too probably.

Type_RawR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8 #14116 / 2008 FG2
Country flag
Your case seems pretty clear that you had a problem but did the dealer try to run you around at all? I ask because I have had the 1-2 gear grind twice and I have just under 1200 miles on mine...

diakonia

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R, Accord, CRV
Country flag
So I took my CTR to my local Honda dealership to let them see that I have 2nd gear grind which they documented and said they would get in touch with corporate and let me know what they say. I also brought in Amsoil Transmission fluid for them to put in for me, and the service manager told me that I would void my warranty if I used anything other than Honda fluid. Has anyone else heard of this?

Type_RawR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8 #14116 / 2008 FG2
Country flag
Tell the service manager good luck proving that the amsoil caused the problem when it's already grinding with Honda fluid AND they documented the problem while the trans was on the factory fill...

Hayabusa160

The Master
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Country flag
my trans was very notchy for the first 2000 miles. now that its broken in its very smooth.

Rasy

First Name
Rasy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW #15337
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
my trans was very notchy for the first 2000 miles. now that its broken in its very smooth.
Thanks. I'm at ~2800 miles now, and it seemed to improved a little. Still getting used to having a 6th gear in general.

Jamroxorz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How long did you wait for your repair?

Corteezy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
You guys believe that even the newest type Rs will have transmission issues? I'm actually waiting on one to get delivered
Sponsored