2018 Civic Rattling in the dashboard...Help!

CivicTron18

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic
Hey guys, so I just got a 2018 Honda Civic EX-L last June 19th. I've noticed a rattle in the dashboard....specifically hearing it from the middle AC vents. It happens around 1500-2000 rpm. Does anyone know what the cause is? I've been at the dealership 4 times now and I'm really getting tired of going there. The last time I took it to the dealer, they took a week to try to fix it and replaced the heating system but it still has the rattle so i'm really losing hope with Honda now. Please help! I will post a video of what it sounds like.
Sponsored

civicdota

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Sedan
Country flag
Might be the heater core. Mine rattles at 1800 rpm and when going over excessively and consistently bump roads (e.g. a stretch of rough road). Worst part is it doesn't always do it so theres no way my dealer would be able to reproduce....

It may also be transmission cable rattling.

OP
OP
CivicTron18

CivicTron18

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic
Might be the heater core. Mine rattles at 1800 rpm and when going over excessively and consistently bump roads (e.g. a stretch of rough road). Worst part is it doesn't always do it so theres no way my dealer would be able to reproduce....

It may also be transmission cable rattling.
Hey CivicDota, it really bothers me a lot to have a brand new car have this. Did you take action when you heard yours or you just let it be? Is yours a 2018 one too? Thanks

omens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey CivicDota, it really bothers me a lot to have a brand new car have this. Did you take action when you heard yours or you just let it be? Is yours a 2018 one too? Thanks
It’s unfortunately pretty common and to be expected in a mass produced vehicle.

If it’s a constant rattle you feel can be replicated at the dealer, take it in & they may be able to rectify it.

civicdota

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Sedan
Country flag
Nope, mine is a 2017, but for the most part they're the same thing. Mine wasn't consistent enough to get the dealer to replicate it and I'm not the super persistent type of person. I rather fix it myself if I knew where the issue is and if it can be done with relative ease... I feel the dealer will cause more problems when they take things apart and/or try to charge me if the problem doesn't show up....

My rattle only comes up randomly, but sounds essentially like yours and I have the one mentioned where if I go over bumpy roads it rattles but the thing is it doesn't do it when car is warmed up but sometimes it does! Sometimes it doesn't do it when it's cold and sometimes it does! Super frustrating but just trying to live with it... I'd tear apart to take a look and or foam up the heater core but I've been to lazy to do so lol.

OP
OP
CivicTron18

CivicTron18

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic
Hey guys, so I just got a 2018 Honda Civic EX-L last June 19th. I've noticed a rattle in the dashboard....specifically hearing it from the middle AC vents. It happens around 1500-2000 rpm. Does anyone know what the cause is? I've been at the dealership 4 times now and I'm really getting tired of going there. The last time I took it to the dealer, they took a week to try to fix it and replaced the heating system but it still has the rattle so i'm really losing hope with Honda now. Please help! I will post a video of what it sounds like.
UPDATE!! Took it to the dealer yesterday, they told me to come in today to go on a road test because the technicians couldn’t replicate. Still heard the noise so we test drove a new civic to see if it has it too and it did have it. I just took my car home because they don’t know what to do with it and I guess it’s safe to say that Honda Civic’s has a rattle in the dash problem. It’s quite disappointing but Ill just accept it. I called Honda as well to make them be aware about this so that they improve their product in the future, but as of now.....

The only solution - Turn the music up!

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Bad job from the Honda building plant ? Where come from you Civic, Japan , USA, Canada ?

OP
OP
CivicTron18

CivicTron18

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic
Bad job from the Honda building plant ? Where come from you Civic, Japan , USA, Canada ?
Civic USA, it’s my first brand new car and I chose Honda because our family had some pretty solid Honda’s but I guess not this one. It sucks that I had to go through this with my first car and kinda doubting now if I should still buy a Honda car after this one but still gotta be thankful.

civicdota

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Sedan
Country flag
This was my first car too, probably won't buy another one as well but might just be my crap luck. I'm sure other cars have issues too to some extent, but this one has a lot of quality/trim issues (IMO).

2018Gemini

First Name
Jameson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Ya I've noticed on my 2018 Civic Touring it rattled at low RPM or roads that were not smooth (i.e. gravel, bumpy). Even if I turn the music up I'll still hear it rattle on smooth roads due to the bass in the speakers. Most disappointing nuisance on a new vehicle purchase.

OP
OP
CivicTron18

CivicTron18

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic

Ya I've noticed on my 2018 Civic Touring it rattled at low RPM or roads that were not smooth (i.e. gravel, bumpy). Even if I turn the music up I'll still hear it rattle on smooth roads due to the bass in the speakers. Most disappointing nuisance on a new vehicle purchase.
It is really annoying but we have to live with it, even with the top of the line car like yours has it so that really bothers. I’m trying to reach out to Honda to let them know that their product has this.

Biff B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Since the weather has gotten a little colder, I am having a similar buzzing. Though to me it sounds like it's coming from the top of the dash right in line with the steering wheel. The part that looks like it came from a video game steering wheel setup. :)
Sponsored