Mpeter0525

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
I just bought a 2018 civic ex-l with the 1.5 turbo. NO Warranty, due to rebuilt title. Went to use the air conditioning and the compressor is not kicking on. I checked the 10amp fuse, and that was good, is there a relay somewhere I can check, or a possible problematic wire? Also, the vehicle only has 3900 miles. So the compressor clutch shouldn't be worn out. Let me know any thoughts or ideas you have, thanks in advance
Sponsored

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
A lot of people including myself have had their leaky AC compressor replaced under warranty. Your freon level may be too low so the AC compressor isn't kicking on.

OP
OP

Mpeter0525

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
A lot of people including myself have had their leaky AC compressor replaced under warranty. Your freon level may be too low so the AC compressor isn't kicking on.

Does it have a sensor for the freon? I was gonna have it filled, but if it's not even kicking on, I figured I'd get that fixed first. But if a low level of refrigerant is the problem, I might want to try that first

OP
OP

Mpeter0525

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Well, I did find the compressor relay, I took it out and shook it, didn't hear anything. is there another way to test it?

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Does it have a sensor for the freon? I was gonna have it filled, but if it's not even kicking on, I figured I'd get that fixed first. But if a low level of refrigerant is the problem, I might want to try that first
There's a low pressure switch. If you have an AC recharge kit there's a pressure gauge. You could try adding freon but IMO it's a waste of freon. The AC compressor and the condenser are known to leak on our cars. Your car is rebuilt and who knows what other possibilities it could be. If you pay someone to diagnosis the issue they will add a dye to the freon and can find out exactly what's going on.

Well, I did find the compressor relay, I took it out and shook it, didn't hear anything. is there another way to test it?
You're going to have to test it with a mutli-meter (you'll have to find schematics of the relay or find a service manual) or use a relay tester. What most people will do is get another relay and swap it. I highly doubt your relay is faulty though.

OP
OP

Mpeter0525

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
There's a low pressure switch. If you have an AC recharge kit there's a pressure gauge. You could try adding freon but IMO it's a waste of freon. The AC compressor and the condenser are known to leak on our cars. Your car is rebuilt and who knows what other possibilities it could be. If you pay someone to diagnosis the issue they will add a dye to the freon and can find out exactly what's going on.

You're going to have to test it with a mutli-meter (you'll have to find schematics of the relay or find a service manual) or use a relay tester. What most people will do is get another relay and swap it. I highly doubt your relay is faulty though.
Awesome, I'll do some checking locally, see if maybe I can get it scanned. See if my live data helps at all. And go from there, I know our cars notoriously leak from the factory. So I'd hate to waste money on that expensive refrigerant, just to have it leak out.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Awesome, I'll do some checking locally, see if maybe I can get it scanned. See if my live data helps at all. And go from there, I know our cars notoriously leak from the factory. So I'd hate to waste money on that expensive refrigerant, just to have it leak out.
If you don't mind please let us know what you find out. It may help other people.

JasonDMN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Will do, it might be a few days, but I will update when I find something out
I'm quite interested to hear how things go for you and where you end up taking yours for service! Mine's a new, bought in July last year, under warranty 2018 EX-T and I'm thinking that whatever this is should be under warranty

Your post is EXACTLY why I joined the forum, because I have a similar thing happening, where warm air comes out the driver's side, cooler out the passenger.

I've my fingers crossed that you have success and maybe I can head to the same dealership as you if I have trouble with my "normal" place in Brooklyn Park.

OP
OP

Mpeter0525

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
I'm quite interested to hear how things go for you and where you end up taking yours for service! Mine's a new, bought in July last year, under warranty 2018 EX-T and I'm thinking that whatever this is should be under warranty

Your post is EXACTLY why I joined the forum, because I have a similar thing happening, where warm air comes out the driver's side, cooler out the passenger.

I've my fingers crossed that you have success and maybe I can head to the same dealership as you if I have trouble with my "normal" place in Brooklyn Park.
Not quite sure how i'm going to approach it. I kinda wanna try charging the system and see if it holds refrigerant. but the kind ours takes is quite expensive. currently I'm waiting for a bluedriver to show up, and I'll see what my live scan gives me for readings, and if anything looks out of the ordinary. I have an old high school friend that is a saleswoman at luther hopkins honda. If I decide to take it to a dealership, I'll probably go there. otherwise I might throw something up on craigslist, see if someone local can pinpoint a problem, or help me diagnose/fix the issue

Last edited:

StevieJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Do you know if there is a dedicated thread to this issue? I took my 16' in a couple weeks ago for nonfunctioning AC and they said the freon was empty so they simply filled it up and put dye in it. It worked well for a couple days after that, but quickly went back to blowing warm air.

StevieJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag

That happened to me after the dealership refilled my freon. The coldest air blew out of the far-left vent and then it just got progressively and noticeably warmer as you moved your hand from vent-to-vent.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Do you know if there is a dedicated thread to this issue? I took my 16' in a couple weeks ago for nonfunctioning AC and they said the freon was empty so they simply filled it up and put dye in it. It worked well for a couple days after that, but quickly went back to blowing warm air.
There are a few threads:

https://www.civicx.com/threads/16-civic-ac-not-working.23516/

https://www.civicx.com/threads/please-read-verified-a-c-issue-with-1-5l.13180/

https://www.civicx.com/threads/a-c-help.4129/

OP
OP

Mpeter0525

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Well I hooked up the bluedriver, couldn't find anything for the a/c, or any sensors relating to it. So now I ponder what to do. Which I might just wait for it to get stupid hot and am forced to do something, or maybe call honda, or the honda dealership, and see if anything can be done for me

OP
OP

Mpeter0525

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Well, I made it to the dealership earlier in the week. With the car having the rebuilt title, the warranty was cancelled. Which I did not bring up, the dealership figured out on their own. I had a software recall for something A/C related, which was done. The service advisor told me after about 45 minutes, to diagnose my A/C problem would be $392. "Which is BS in my book. Google: gen 10 civic ac problems, and you will see thousands of leaky compressor problems". To which I told her, that is quite a bit more than I want to spend just to diagnose it, So let's just skip that. which she was completely OK with. So with the recall, they drain the oil to check for moisture, So I opted to just do an oil change (5600 miles on car) they also rotated the tires. for a grand total of.......$46, and still no working ac. I think I'll just have to go to a local AC shop and get a quote. Assuming I can get the whole thing replaced and filled, and working for $600-750.
Sponsored