Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello all! I purchased my 2018 Honda Civic EX-L Hatchback recently, and decided to have the oil changed by a shop as I don't have ramps at my disposal currently.
When the mechanic changed the oil, he notified / showed me that the oil was pretty burnt, and obviously had been run well over 6,000 miles. He suggested that next oil change I run an "engine cleaner" through. I am not experienced enough to know what he means (does he mean a special oil, or maybe some sort of fuel additive?) or whether or not this is something to invest in, but I thought I might ask here just to be safe. Should I run some sort of engine cleaner/fuel additive?
The previous owner used Mobil1 full synthetic oil, and I am keeping that trend going obviously, run 87 or 89 octane Shell fuel currently, and I am not modified performance-wise yet.
Any advice on this situation would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

Zed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6MT FK7 (Sold), 991.2 Carrera S, 3rd Gen Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your engine oil is the cleaner. Superior cleaning is one of the key advantages a synthetic oil like Mobil 1 FS provides vs conventional.

"The inside of an engine is a harsh environment subject to contamination from soot, water condensation, combustion gasses and minute airborne particles that make it past the air filter... Engine oils capture contaminants, prevent deposits and keep particulates in suspension until they are removed by the filter or an oil change" (Lum 7).
https://www.ilma.org/PDF/ILMANews/2017/AAAreport.pdf

If the engine has been run with synthetic oil changed at regular intervals, it is probably not necessary for an engine cleaning additive of any sort.

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can't tell the condition of oil just by looking at it. If you want to know the state of it, then do a used oil analysis. To me, it sounds like the mechanic is fishing for extra work.

OP
OP
rwk226

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Appreciate the information! Just wanted to be safe than sorry here. I'll just keep the oil changed every 5-6k and not abuse her too hard.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Appreciate the information! Just wanted to be safe than sorry here. I'll just keep the oil changed every 5-6k and not abuse her too hard.

That is only you need to do ; fresh oil and new filter each time

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can't tell the condition of oil just by looking at it. If you want to know the state of it, then do a used oil analysis. To me, it sounds like the mechanic is fishing for extra work.
Exactly.
Just a pure profit scare tactic “service”.
Oil is supposed to get dark in service, it holds contaminants in suspension.
Just use a quality synthetic oil of the proper viscosity and API grade and top tier fuel you’re golden.
Sponsored