DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
This recall is a bitch to perform. Mine doesn't fall within the recall but I'm going to do mine pre-emptively, I've seen way too many p0087 fuel rail pressure failure on multiple models this summer. When I do it I'll try to catalog it for you guys, it's not fun and special tools are needed. This is one of the few recalls I've done over the years that are really easy to screw up, damage parts, or have an incorrect install. I've seen 20yr veteran techs mess this up, it really take a lot of patience and skill to not break parts.
Sponsored

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Thank you Dan. Always good to hear from those doing the work. Didn't realize how much of a bear this job was. Good info and really helps to explain why some are having issues after the fact.

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21399
Country flag
got an update today. they don't know what is causing the car to not crank every time. they said they finally got it to start and decided to put 2 gallons of gas in it since the tank was low (I could still see the yellow in the gauge so I know there was more than enough to run the car). I couldn't get a confirmation that they used premium fuel but was told he thinks they have 2 different pumps in the back.. after adding the 2 gallons they said the fuel gauge jumped to 3/4 full which couldn't be correct. I'm overly frustrated.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
got an update today. they don't know what is causing the car to not crank
So just to clarify, they performed the recall, no start condition, now the gauge is reading incorrectly as well?

Sounds like a bad install. Bent the sending unit float or forgot to connect a hose or both. The direct injection system will surprisingly run for like 1-2 minutes on residual fuel in the lines with the pump disconnected. Sorry dude.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm going to order the pump assembly for my car today, since it doesn't fall within the recall range they will send me the entire unit, but I'll disassemble the old one as if I'm doing the recall.

There are a lot of screw ups going on and some people are falling out of warranty range, I'm going to do a write up for this repair. That way you guys can decide if you want to attempt it yourselves, are out of warranty, or are upgrading the fuel pump it will be a guide.

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21399
Country flag
So just to clarify, they performed the recall, no start condition, now the gauge is reading incorrectly as well?

Sounds like a bad install. Bent the sending unit float or forgot to connect a hose or both. The direct injection system will surprisingly run for like 1-2 minutes on residual fuel in the lines with the pump disconnected. Sorry dude.
They are reporting they did the install incorrectly and found metal in the fuel tank. A new fuel tank and fuel pump have been ordered. I've escalated up to the service manager, but don't really expect anything to be done.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
There are a lot of screw ups going on and some people are falling out of warranty range, I'm going to do a write up for this repair. That way you guys can decide if you want to attempt it yourselves, are out of warranty, or are upgrading the fuel pump it will be a guide.
Please do. I'll link to it from the wiki if you don't mind.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They are reporting they did the install incorrectly and found metal in the fuel tank. A new fuel tank and fuel pump have been ordered. I've escalated up to the service manager, but don't really expect anything to be done.
I have no clue where you will get metal in the tank here. So much of the fuel system back there is plastic, I'm taking that with some skepticism dude so I wouldn't worry much about that. This sounds like an install that went fubar, if they break some of the evap lines it's part of the whole tank assembly. Take pride in knowing the tech is getting his ass handed to him as that sounds like a $2000 f-up the manager is paying for out of his check (they get a cut of the store profits, screw ups eat into his spiff check).

This sounds like a shit show dude, but hey, at least the car will be fixed and you're getting new parts out of the deal. As a tech and CTR owner, just aches to hear someone screwing up and screwing up a fellow CTR.

Just as a heads up, if you start getting misfire codes like p0301-p0304 etc, debris may have clogged injectors. This is a HUGE maybe so don't panic like reading web md here, but should it happen they will need to replace all 4 injectors. It will be free of charge since this is all documented. Again, super skeptical of the debris claim, but be aware of this on the 1% chance its true. The other 99% chance is tech broke the evap line and this is a cover for that.

Last edited:

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21399
Country flag
I have no clue where you will get metal in the tank here. So much of the fuel system back there is plastic, I'm taking that with some skepticism dude so I wouldn't worry much about that. This sounds like an install that went fubar, if they break some of the evap lines it's part of the whole tank assembly. Take pride in knowing the tech is getting his ass handed to him as that sounds like a $2000 f-up the manager is paying for out of his check (they get a cut of the store profits, screw ups eat into his spiff check).

This sounds like a shit show dude, but hey, at least the car will be fixed and you're getting new parts out of the deal. As a tech and CTR owner, just aches to hear someone screwing up and screwing up a fellow CTR.

Just as a heads up, if you start getting misfire codes like p0301-p0304 etc, debris may have clogged injectors. This is a HUGE maybe so don't panic like reading web md here, but should it happen they will need to replace all 4 injectors. It will be free of charge since this is all documented. Again, super skeptical of the debris claim, but be aware of this on the 1% chance its true.
Thank for the insight. They are going to inspect the low pressure line and high pressure ones to make sure nothing has gotten to the injectors. Maybe I'm quoting that way wrong. I'm no tech lol

phan10ms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW Type R, '06 AP2 S2000
Country flag
Walnut Creek, CA Honda performed the recall. No issues. I did remove the rear seats before taking it in.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank for the insight. They are going to inspect the low pressure line and high pressure ones to make sure nothing has gotten to the injectors. Maybe I'm quoting that way wrong. I'm no tech lol
The pump has a micro-filter in the bottom of it, shouldn't be an issue.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Dan, great to have a Master Tech on here. Thank you for your insight and info.

sohcanddohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR, 19 RDX ASPEC, 13 FR-S, 05 PTGT
Country flag
Looks very similar to my prep picture I posted here. Nice work. How did it go?
You were my inspiration, took me about 20 mins to pull the back seats. Dealership took about an hour to do the recall, install 2 new tires and an alignment. They did drop some fuel so I am glad I did the prep work. Here is the after pic you can see a few new stains. I cleaned all that up and let it air out before reinstalling everything.
Honda Civic 10th gen 2018-2019 Fuel Pump Motor Recall 4A400ACF-4EC8-4B56-95CF-A199E6D0639F
Honda Civic 10th gen 2018-2019 Fuel Pump Motor Recall 3E570743-9F9E-4D48-8ECE-A42FB1C323F1