Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I for one don't mind a tech driving my car to check a repair.
What I do mind is the tech hooning the hell out of my cold engine.
There are quite a few videos of this occurring, but I know only negative videos get noticed, no one ever posts a video of a tech driving your car correctly.
I know - I'm a negative Nelly - but a cautious one.
An ounce of prevention.....
Sponsored

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
This is an absolute bitch of a recall to perform. We remove the rear seats to access the fuel pump from a special access panel, we do not remove your wheels or the tank. Getting this sending unit assembly in and out without bending the fuel gauge level is very hard and the tank lines do not want to get out of the way. Less experienced technicians have broken the sending unit ($900 part). I have yet to see a CTR come in on the tow truck or have verified an issue with one of the pumps, just doing the recalls as told.
So my car went in today and this is the first CTR they have done (not sure if the hatch is the same) so I told the tech about the sending unit being easy to break. I think he and the service advisor (who I know somewhat outside of his job from local car meets) kinda dismissed my warning. Anyways, the tech comes back two hours later and guess what he broke? So they are having a new sending unit overnighted and I guess I get to pick up the car tomorrow. Can't say I'm terribly upset as the 'told ya so' moment was quite entertaining. Both service advisors gave the tech a hard time since I had warned about it beforehand. It's not a daily driver for me so I don't mind being without the car, and they are keeping it inside overnight so it should be fine. I'm not worried about them hooning the car because I loaded a valet tune anyways, so it's limited to 200nm torque and max speed of 45mph ?

martindtjr

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicle(s)
TYPE R 19, Sienna XLE15, Xa 06, Camry 92
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think you guys are over thinking in.

nobody really wants to risk losing their jobs on a customers car.

if It was their own car they are selling I can see all this happening.
I'd just buy a 2020, if they wrecked it.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Anyways, the tech comes back two hours later and guess what he broke? So they are having a new sending unit overnighted and I guess I get to pick up the car tomorrow. Can't say I'm terribly upset as the 'told ya so' moment was quite entertaining.
hahahahaha told ya lol. It's a bitch to get it in and out. I've been lucky lately and haven't been issued another one in awhile, too busy fixing other people's goof ups in the shop and other diag issues instead. Hey, at least you are getting a new fuel pump AND a new fuel gauge sender as well now lol.

The valet tune is a good move. Another would be to request the car not be washed upon return. That usually gets rid of 90% of the morons that have access to your car right away. Again, no one really hoons these cars at the dealerships if they are a customer car. If they are a used car though all bets are off lmao

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
hahahahaha told ya lol. It's a bitch to get it in and out. I've been lucky lately and haven't been issued another one in awhile, too busy fixing other people's goof ups in the shop and other diag issues instead. Hey, at least you are getting a new fuel pump AND a new fuel gauge sender as well now lol.

The valet tune is a good move. Another would be to request the car not be washed upon return. That usually gets rid of 90% of the morons that have access to your car right away. Again, no one really hoons these cars at the dealerships if they are a customer car. If they are a used car though all bets are off lmao
Yeah, thankfully it's a pretty small service center and I'm fairly confident they will take care of my car. I actually told the service advisor and the tech to make sure it doesn't get washed, more so because it's ceramic coated with zero swirls and I'd like to keep it that way. I spoke with the tech quite a bit and he even ended up giving me a lift home, so I feel better about the whole situation and also a little more confident that they'll take care of me if I need any future service.

CHiNG818

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
ooooh no I wouldn't believe that shit for a minute. Mine goes in on Friday and I'm going to sit there and make sure they don't take it off for a joyride. when you take it in, log the odometer.
I used to think like this with some of my previous cars and the more I took care of them the more they got banged up. I take care of my type r but at the end of the day its just a car if shit happens I'll deal with it. By the way I had my fuel pump recall done recently and the dealer logs in the millage entering and exiting of your car. Nothing to worry about my man.

Last edited:

vtecduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8/ 2014 E63s AMG/ 2015 G63/ 2006 lancer evolution
Country flag
Funny that this showed up now since beginning of February my car(stock 2017 fk8) started losing power and the check engine light came up with the rev match emissions problem screen which it seems to be standard to any check engine issue; I went to the dealer and they connected the car to the computer and said it was a valve leak, got it fixed and 2 days later got the same check engine light and lost of power, second diagnosis said faulty fuel rail, got it replaced and 3 days later same issue, they kept the car for the rest of the month, got it back at the beginning of march after they had to contact Honda to escalate the issue and it came back as faulty high flow fuel pump. they replaced the parts and is been working great so far. They couldn't figure out why the issue happen in the first place but my warranty cover the cost. Definitely have it checked out if you can.
Man my car got the exact same issue as yours... But after reading what you wrote I feel like it's pretty dangerous to keep driving the car if the fuel pump has problems.

CHiNG818

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
My recall took about 4-5 hours to complete. I was a little worried knowing the rear seats were going to be removed and ripping up the car like that. I picked up the car and inspected everything and thankfully ther did a great job. As for the new fuel pump I cant tell a difference but Im glad it got taken care of. Good luck to everyone.

Sil98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Type R, '08 Kia Sorento, '03 WRX, '97 Del Sol Si, '90 Supercharged TA
Country flag
My recall took about 4-5 hours to complete. I was a little worried knowing the rear seats were going to be removed and ripping up the car like that.
Taking mine in for the recall a few hours from now. I have already removed the rear seats. Was planning to have as little fuel in the tank as practical. When i went to the track on Wednesday to drive laps i had half a tank. Figured that would be plenty for the day and to get me to the dealer 30 miles away. After 45 minutes/14 laps i realized my fuel gauge was approaching empty. Low fuel light came on and indicated range was 25 miles. So i quit the session early and put four gallons of gas in for trip to the dealer. The fuel gauge now reads over half a tank.

eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Got my letter in the mail this week. Called today and the dealer told me they don't have the part yet but would call me back when they get it. Don't notice any problems with my car but guess I won't be driving it for a while. Quite annoying.

With something like this I worry about ancillary damage to other systems that doesn't show up until long after the warranty expires. Any mechanically inclined people here care to talk about the risks there?

ManEatingPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Got my letter in the mail this week. Called today and the dealer told me they don't have the part yet but would call me back when they get it. Don't notice any problems with my car but guess I won't be driving it for a while. Quite annoying.

With something like this I worry about ancillary damage to other systems that doesn't show up until long after the warranty expires. Any mechanically inclined people here care to talk about the risks there?
I have the same issue, called a few dealers in the area and they all said they do not have the parts for the recall work yet.

I don't think you need to worry about this fuel pump causing damage to other systems. the only thing that can happen is not enough fuel gets to the engine and you lose power and/or eventually stall.

That being said, I have still yet to hear about any Type R having the fuel pump fail unless this is only happening to those that are not active on this forum. The recall is for the known potential that it can fail.

goodvibes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R CBP
Country flag
I have the same issue, called a few dealers in the area and they all said they do not have the parts for the recall work yet.

I don't think you need to worry about this fuel pump causing damage to other systems. the only thing that can happen is not enough fuel gets to the engine and you lose power and/or eventually stall.

That being said, I have still yet to hear about any Type R having the fuel pump fail unless this is only happening to those that are not active on this forum. The recall is for the known potential that it can fail.
the only damage I was told that happened because of driving the car with the faulty fuel pump was the fuel rail, not sure how true that was but they ended up changing the fuel rail and the fuel pump. Either way driving the car with the bad fuel pump is pointless, my car loss enough power to not even let me drive 30mph on limp mode Twice. The first time it kept stalling every other mile. Second time it didn’t even turn on. So is better off just taking the car to the dealerships and have them provide a loaner if you need to.

goodvibes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R CBP
Country flag
the only damage I was told that happened because of driving the car with the faulty fuel pump was the fuel rail, not sure how true that was but they ended up changing the fuel rail and the fuel pump. Either way driving the car with the bad fuel pump is pointless, my car loss enough power to not even let me drive 30mph on limp mode Twice. The first time it kept stalling every other mile. Second time it didn’t even turn on. So is better off just taking the car to the dealerships and have them provide a loaner if you need to.
Oh and I have a 2017 type r , and it was taken care by warranty. Just for those who think it is just for the 18-19 type r
Sponsored