2018-2019 Fuel Pump Motor Recall

Maximum6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000 2005, Type R 2019
Country flag
Just wondering, why can’t you just have a trusted shop do this work and have Honda reemburse you? I did this with my VW GTI that had its PCV valve fixed, which was part of a recall if I remember correctly.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018-2019 Fuel Pump Motor Recall 566FED16-1B9C-4F8C-9D5B-5DDD700BB577
Sponsored

Gily

First Name
Gily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
There are people on FB pushing the idea that all FK8s are affected by the issue, but Honda for whatever reason wants to roll out the recall in batches. Granted I don’t believe it at all, but there are people on FB pushing this idea.
I really think this is correct, mine is still not listed and I had the issue last week, after about an hour the car started and run perfectly however other people have told me that happen to them and after a month the car will not start again (their cars were not in the recall either) so I took it to my dealership and and told them the story and Honda approved to do the work on mine, the pump is on backorder and will be at the dealership for about 2 weeks, good thing they provided a loaner but just imagine of they do the recall on all vehicles!!! they dont have the capacity to work on all affected cars, they dont even have the parts to do the work, just remember this just does not affect CTR. I did noticed a slight decrease in response before it happened to me, just slight but I was able to feel it while driving on the freeway.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I really think this is correct, mine is still not listed and I had the issue last week, after about an hour the car started and run perfectly however other people have told me that happen to them and after a month the car will not start again (their cars were not in the recall either) so I took it to my dealership and and told them the story and Honda approved to do the work on mine, the pump is on backorder and will be at the dealership for about 2 weeks, good thing they provided a loaner but just imagine of they do the recall on all vehicles!!! they dont have the capacity to work on all affected cars, they dont even have the parts to do the work, just remember this just does not affect CTR. I did noticed a slight decrease in response before it happened to me, just slight but I was able to feel it while driving on the freeway.
I honestly aren’t sure what vehicles are actually affected. It does look like a lot outside the VIN range seem to be having issues. I hope mine isn’t since it’s outside of factory warranty at this point (at 49k miles now so it would be outside the 36k bumper to bumper; I don’t think it would be covered under the 60k power train). At least I have extended warranty, but it’s 3rd party and might be a hassle to deal with. A covered hassle is better than an uncovered issue altogether though.

eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have no clue where you will get metal in the tank here. So much of the fuel system back there is plastic, I'm taking that with some skepticism dude so I wouldn't worry much about that. This sounds like an install that went fubar, if they break some of the evap lines it's part of the whole tank assembly. Take pride in knowing the tech is getting his ass handed to him as that sounds like a $2000 f-up the manager is paying for out of his check (they get a cut of the store profits, screw ups eat into his spiff check).

This sounds like a shit show dude, but hey, at least the car will be fixed and you're getting new parts out of the deal. As a tech and CTR owner, just aches to hear someone screwing up and screwing up a fellow CTR.

Just as a heads up, if you start getting misfire codes like p0301-p0304 etc, debris may have clogged injectors. This is a HUGE maybe so don't panic like reading web md here, but should it happen they will need to replace all 4 injectors. It will be free of charge since this is all documented. Again, super skeptical of the debris claim, but be aware of this on the 1% chance its true. The other 99% chance is tech broke the evap line and this is a cover for that.
Same thing may have happened to me. My car is at the dealership now and, from what I remember him saying, there is supposed to be a dry dummy hose somewhere on the fuel tank and if it isn't there than something can leak into the fuel tank requiring it to be replaced. I suppose that's what the other person means by metal.

I'll talk to the guy tomorrow for a followup/clarification.

Jinba-Ittai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
All, so I got my fuel pump done 5 months ago and I have had no issues— recently I’ve noticed a smell of gas in my garage if I park the car for a few hours with a completely full tank. Then the smell gets worse the longer the car is parked with a full tank. But no smells inside the car. I had not noticed this before. I am wondering if it’s related to the cap-less fuel system—may not work great with a full tank in a closed garage? Has anyone here parked their car overnight and with a full tank on their garage? One could say it could be the fuel pump gasket that seals the pump inside the tank—it could be emitting gases/leak, but I am not sure this is really it. I filled the tank until the natural “click” and did not fill beyond that. It would be great to hear from those who did/or did not get a new fuel pump and tried parking your car overnight with a topped off tank of gas.

Last edited:

19typer

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I don't think you should be smelling gas in any instance unless you spilled it

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
All, so I got my fuel pump done 5 months ago and I have had no issues— recently I’ve noticed a smell of gas in my garage if I park the car for a few hours with a completely full tank. Then the smell gets worse the longer the car is parked with a full tank. But no smells inside the car. I had not noticed this before. I am wondering if it’s related to the cap-less fuel system—may not work great with a full tank in a closed garage? Has anyone here parked their car overnight and with a full tank on their garage? One could say it could be the fuel pump gasket that seals the pump inside the tank—it could be emitting gases/leak, but I am not sure this is really it. I filled the tank until the natural “click” and did not fill beyond that. It would be great to hear from those who did/or did not get a new fuel pump and tried parking your car overnight with a topped off tank of gas.
This might be something you may want to bring to the dealer's attention.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
Sorry I looked through a bunch of the pages and didn’t see why but I was wondering what is actually wrong with the fuel pump that they need to replace it?

I’m just wondering because Toyotas are having issues with fuel pumps to. I have a 2019 Toyota sienna and when I brought it in for the complementary service they said I needed a fuel pump. They said that the 2018 and 2019 cars are getting fuel pumps automatically replaced. Just wondering. The service advisor there couldn’t tell me why the fuel pumps needed to be replaced.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I've been getting random "emissions systems problem codes" I believe p0456 since having the recall fixed. I had one tech tell me that possibly the o-ring between the tank and pump carrier/sending unit could have been damaged or installed improperly during the service work.
Sorry I looked through a bunch of the pages and didn’t see why but I was wondering what is actually wrong with the fuel pump that they need to replace it?

I’m just wondering because Toyotas are having issues with fuel pumps to. I have a 2019 Toyota sienna and when I brought it in for the complementary service they said I needed a fuel pump. They said that the 2018 and 2019 cars are getting fuel pumps automatically replaced. Just wondering. The service advisor there couldn’t tell me why the fuel pumps needed to be replaced.
The impeller on the pump motor is made from a plastic that can deteriorate in gasoline, eventually break down and clog the pump itself. They just replace that motor as part of the recall.

MR1818

First Name
Dixon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8R
Country flag
This happened to me last week before the Chinese New Year holidays and I just got my 2019 CTR remapped and a complete Milltek Exhaust. After running for about 50km and got home, when I reverse the car into the carpark the car starts to lose power and trying to shut itself down.

From then onwards, I tried to start it back but it will just crack but not start.

After I got to check my VIN number in UK there was a recall on the fuel pump but currently the car has already been shipped to Malaysia. Don't think HONDA MALAYSIA have international recall for this.

aldksgo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 R-24920, '14 FB2, '10 Impreza 2.5i
Country flag
Well, after thinking I've dodged this bullet I got this notification. Suffice to say an appointment is scheduled April 6th. Hope I don't have to go through a headache again because I'm modded since this is an actual recall..

Honda Civic 10th gen 2018-2019 Fuel Pump Motor Recall 63DAD417-9202-4421-8D9F-61992AF43566

McNabb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Well, after thinking I've dodged this bullet I got this notification. Suffice to say an appointment is scheduled April 6th. Hope I don't have to go through a headache again because I'm modded since this is an actual recall..

63DAD417-9202-4421-8D9F-61992AF43566.jpeg
I'm in Canada as well and got the same alert. I figured it wasn't going to happen given how long it has been but I guess they were just waiting. Not in a huge hurry to get mine done but will eventually. Let us know how it goes.

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
XDI pump FTW. Odd this is coming out years after the fact. Seems some would encounter issues before a recall.

whytfwontthiswork

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag
XDI pump FTW. Odd this is coming out years after the fact. Seems some would encounter issues before a recall.
Xdi is a hpfp. Im pretty sure the recall is for the in-tank pump. And for a recall to be issued, there has to be reports. Just because a member hasnt experienced it doesnt mean it cant happen
Sponsored