2017 Type R - Shifter easily slides into location above Reverse in gearbox while shifting to 5th

Twistgibber

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Fit Sport (Supercharged), 2017 Honda Civic Type R (Rallye Red #1930)
Vehicle Showcase
Hello friends,

I just got my 2017 Type R back from the Honda dealership after having them perform the recall work (ABV Engine Harness replacement) and now when trying to shift to 5th gear, the shifter shoots all the way over to right above Reverse. Prior to this recall work by the dealer, getting into that position above Reverse was only possible if the car was stopped in order to shift to Reverse. Now, when trying to shift to 5th, the shifter flies over far to the right with ease and won't move up as it isn't in the 5th/6th gearbox position. I have to baby the shifter from 4th into the 5th gear. I'm deathly afraid I'm going to accidentally crunch it into reverse when thinking I'm heading into 6th.

Has anyone experienced this at all?
Sponsored

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I can only offer an educated guess, but I believe there is a solenoid that engages to lock out the reverse part of the gate when you are driving forward. It sounds like that solenoid is not working on your car. If they worked on the wiring harness, then it is likely that they didn't properly connect the wires that go to the solenoid.

OP
OP
Twistgibber

Twistgibber

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Fit Sport (Supercharged), 2017 Honda Civic Type R (Rallye Red #1930)
Vehicle Showcase
I can only offer an educated guess, but I believe there is a solenoid that engages to lock out the reverse part of the gate when you are driving forward. It sounds like that solenoid is not working on your car. If they worked on the wiring harness, then it is likely that they didn't properly connect the wires that go to the solenoid.
Thank you so much for the response! Yes, they did replace an entire harness that affects the Rev Match System (ABV) due to the recall. This sounds like the most likely culprit.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
yikes, def get that fixed! would hate to mis shift into R when trying for 6th.

Rhempz0q

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sdn
Country flag
my 2020 Si just came back from Honda to fix a no start issue (13360k) SMH. Bad temp sensor somewhere, the car would just read hot to the max, when cold? Anyway i didn't have any issues with getting to 5th or sixth, it had that little stop feel and you would know you were at 5th, just left and up...... Now it like searching for 5th (It's Horrible) I've been driving manual trans my whole life with ease, But this is very wrong!!
Sponsored

Last edited: