2017 Sport hatchback CVT test driven

Dancing Outlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Si
I took a crystal black pearl Sport model out for a test drive today. For perspective, I currently drive a 2008 Civic Si sedan that I bought new. It's been a fantastic car, btw. So, I've been waiting patiently for the new Si debut but the hatch Sport got my attention. My dealer (U.S.) has gotten 2 shipments in so far over the past couple months but no Sport 6MT.

Up until a couple days ago, I had absolutely not one shred of interest in a CVT. However, after reading some posts from other users on this site, I had a change of heart and thought "why not"? I'm almost 50 years old and sometimes rowing your own in stop and go traffic is not the most fun. So, off I went to the dealership today with an open mind.

I have to say it was not as bad as I thought it would be. The ONLY thing that makes it work and even worth considering are the paddle shifters. If it didn't have those, it would be a deal breaker for sure. It would just be incredibly boring to drive, in my opinion. I need to feel like I am engaged with the car and the manual definitely provides that but the paddles gave me a little engagement. Not the same as a clutch and 6 manual speeds, but a little.

The ride quality is a million times better than my 08 Si (bone stock with Michelin Pilots, 90k miles). I know it's not an Si but this thing is quiet and soaks up broken pavement, expansion joints, etc. like it's nothing. Super impressed. I noticed that the wheel wells have a padded type of material like our GTI had. Under the passenger mat, there is a cap that you can pull up and see the frame # and there is a significant amount of sound proof material there.

Handling is also very impressive. I have owned a few sports cars- Mazda RX, Nissan Z, Infiniti G Coupe, GTI, etc. I consider my Si to handle really, really well and this Sport model did not disappoint. I'll be interested to see the roadholding numbers on it but it felt on my par with my Si.

Engine performance was ok. The power was adequate. I did a 0-50 mph run using the paddles and it felt fairly quick. Seems very linear and smooth. Has very usable power down low compared to my Si which is nice. Turbo lag was more noticeable in D rather than S using the paddles.

There are a few things I don't like about it and of course these are subjective and I knew some of this going in: 1. No moonroof- feels claustrophopic inside without it but I'm just used to having it and I really enjoy it and use it a lot. 2. Trying to use the paddles while the steering wheel was turned felt awkward. Maybe that's a learned skill. 3. The panel gaps where the hood meets the front fenders was so wide that you could literally see one of the reservoirs inside the engine bay. 4. Those rear fake vents. Man these are just so ugly that it's almost reason enough not to buy the car. I really hope Honda changes that on the 2018 models. I can live with it on the front but speaking from experience having these on the front of a GTI, they hold water. Imagine washing your car and then trying to dry it and having to dab a towel in 48 little fake vents. And they're ugly. 5. The passenger seat is low and there is no height adjustment. My wife is pretty short (5'1) and she complained about the passenger seat in my G35 Coupe for this very reason. We take my car a LOT, so this is troubling. 6. Center exhaust- wait, I do like the look- but I'm into mountain biking and my Si has a draw tite hitch for my bike rack. I'm doubting there will be an option to mount a hitch on this car.

So, that's my take on it. I think it's a pretty decent value at $23,000. There's a lot to like. I hope that this review helps others that are considering the car. As for me, I'm counting down the days to the LA Auto Show.
Sponsored

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
The cloth middle console and armrests killed i for me. I don't think I'll be getting a civic this year unless a cheap aftermarket modification exists.

WNC_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean Blue Civic LX Coupe 6 speed manual ,2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 5 speed manual
Thanks for the honest in depth review.This helps a lot for me as a future buyer as to which model i pick to buy

Much appreciated

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I liked the CVT in Sport (S) mode (without using paddles) a lot more, did you try that?

Pur3MotioN770

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I liked the CVT in Sport (S) mode (without using paddles) a lot more, did you try that?
I know this is random, but just wanted to ask, since you have the car, about the quality of the windshield wipers.

SonicHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nismo 350Z, Element SC
Country flag
I took a crystal black pearl Sport model out for a test drive today. For perspective, I currently drive a 2008 Civic Si sedan that I bought new. It's been a fantastic car, btw. So, I've been waiting patiently for the new Si debut but the hatch Sport got my attention. My dealer (U.S.) has gotten 2 shipments in so far over the past couple months but no Sport 6MT.

Up until a couple days ago, I had absolutely not one shred of interest in a CVT. However, after reading some posts from other users on this site, I had a change of heart and thought "why not"? I'm almost 50 years old and sometimes rowing your own in stop and go traffic is not the most fun. So, off I went to the dealership today with an open mind.

I have to say it was not as bad as I thought it would be. The ONLY thing that makes it work and even worth considering are the paddle shifters. If it didn't have those, it would be a deal breaker for sure. It would just be incredibly boring to drive, in my opinion. I need to feel like I am engaged with the car and the manual definitely provides that but the paddles gave me a little engagement. Not the same as a clutch and 6 manual speeds, but a little.

The ride quality is a million times better than my 08 Si (bone stock with Michelin Pilots, 90k miles). I know it's not an Si but this thing is quiet and soaks up broken pavement, expansion joints, etc. like it's nothing. Super impressed. I noticed that the wheel wells have a padded type of material like our GTI had. Under the passenger mat, there is a cap that you can pull up and see the frame # and there is a significant amount of sound proof material there.

Handling is also very impressive. I have owned a few sports cars- Mazda RX, Nissan Z, Infiniti G Coupe, GTI, etc. I consider my Si to handle really, really well and this Sport model did not disappoint. I'll be interested to see the roadholding numbers on it but it felt on my par with my Si.

Engine performance was ok. The power was adequate. I did a 0-50 mph run using the paddles and it felt fairly quick. Seems very linear and smooth. Has very usable power down low compared to my Si which is nice. Turbo lag was more noticeable in D rather than S using the paddles.

There are a few things I don't like about it and of course these are subjective and I knew some of this going in: 1. No moonroof- feels claustrophopic inside without it but I'm just used to having it and I really enjoy it and use it a lot. 2. Trying to use the paddles while the steering wheel was turned felt awkward. Maybe that's a learned skill. 3. The panel gaps where the hood meets the front fenders was so wide that you could literally see one of the reservoirs inside the engine bay. 4. Those rear fake vents. Man these are just so ugly that it's almost reason enough not to buy the car. I really hope Honda changes that on the 2018 models. I can live with it on the front but speaking from experience having these on the front of a GTI, they hold water. Imagine washing your car and then trying to dry it and having to dab a towel in 48 little fake vents. And they're ugly. 5. The passenger seat is low and there is no height adjustment. My wife is pretty short (5'1) and she complained about the passenger seat in my G35 Coupe for this very reason. We take my car a LOT, so this is troubling. 6. Center exhaust- wait, I do like the look- but I'm into mountain biking and my Si has a draw tite hitch for my bike rack. I'm doubting there will be an option to mount a hitch on this car.

So, that's my take on it. I think it's a pretty decent value at $23,000. There's a lot to like. I hope that this review helps others that are considering the car. As for me, I'm counting down the days to the LA Auto Show.
Pretty good observations here. A couple of things though...I believe all seats are height adjustable...the handle on the side of the seat has to be used like a jack, push it downward to lower the seat, pull it upward to jack the seat up. It is not obvious or intuitive for sure. The CVT without paddle shift(my EX HB) I like better than the Mazda CX-5 5 speed auto trans I drive at work which is never in the gear I want it in in city driving. With the Civic all you have to do is spool the turbo which doesn't take long and the CVT is in the correct ratio to do what you want. I never thought I'd say I like the CVT, and I see quite a lot of positive comments on this forum which is another big surprise.

I have also wondered about how bikers are going to deal with the center exhaust for a hitch, although a bike will fit inside with the seats down. I can tell you from washing my car the first time the faux honey comb grilles are a pain to dry, also they are what I most dislike about the HB. I dread washing bugs out of the front ones next summer. I did buy a small car blow dryer to aid in drying the car after the next wash.

The car is a great value, I didn't think twice about buying....didn't need to compare it to the competition because it hits such a sweet spot in the market. I'm a 56 year old car enthusiast who also owns a Nismo 350Z with a couple of exhaust mods and a tune.

HondaSean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord EX
Country flag
I have also wondered about how bikers are going to deal with the center exhaust for a hitch, although a bike will fit inside with the seats down.
Curt makes a hitch for the Focus ST and its center exhaust. Give it time and I'm sure the Civic Sport and Sport Touring will have hitch options down the road.
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Sport hatchback CVT test driven IMG_0096.JPG
Sponsored