2017 SI stock with 61,000 mi Engine Failure!

Should I simply accept their offer to cover cost at 90% with 30K warrenty?

• Total voters

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Again... from the article...

"The warranty extension will cover repairs for the camshaft, rocker-arm assemblies, and spark plugs"

That's not going to fix wiped bearings... damaged rings or bore.

I would not put a lot of emphasis on an extended warranty because 1) it probably isn't the components that are are damaged and 2) IT DOESN'T MATTER. Incorrectly done preventative maintenance was certainly the cause of the fault. You get a oil change... you engine is done an hour later? Whether it's a loose drain plug... missing filter... the folks forgot to add oil to the car. Whatever the reason... they failed you... and now they need to make it 100% right. Not 90% right.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Good point on that Charles. Clearly though, this was either some freaky factory defect or a botched dealer oil change. There is no way the OP should pay a cent one way or the other.

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good point on that Charles. But you and I know stock Honda engines, with 61,000 miles, maintained properly, don't just die of natural causes. Clearly this was either some freaky factory defect or a botched dealer oil change. There is no way the OP should pay a cent one way or another.
I totally agree. I just hate for him to put his eggs in the 6 year extended powertrain warranty basket where it's pretty limited in it's scope to where it would be little to no help.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I totally agree. I just hate for him to put his eggs in the 6 year extended powertrain warranty basket where it's pretty limited in it's scope to where it would be little to no help.
I was just thinking that with the dealer saying 90%, the extended unlimited mileage warranty mention might push them in the direction of eating that 10%. But you're right, the extended warranty is a lot more limited than I realized.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was just thinking that with the dealer saying 90%, the extended unlimited mileage warranty thing might push them in the direction of eating that 10%. But you're right, the extended warranty is a lot more limited than I realized.
That article was edited too. When the news of it came out initially, I don't think it was communicated as being nearly as limited to specific components. I also thought it was wide open when word first came out.

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
if you're only over your warranty by 1,000 I'd be calling Honda directly and getting this shit fixed for free.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
This oil dilution problem and the specific conditions where this engine is affected the most is the exact opposite of OPs driving habits. He lives in Arizona, has put 30k per year on it, and it’s been flawless the entire time. The car has seen the temperature dip below freezing maybe twice in 2 years? 100 miles after a dealer oil changed and it’s bricked... :hmm:

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
Personally - from a practical perspective, it may be cheaper to just pay the $500 and never go back there again.

The amount of time fighting, emotional stress, rentals, inconvenience without a car waiting for resolution.....$500 is cheaper.

It may not be "right" if they fucked you, but you may he better off resolving this quickly on a personal level.

Similar to people settling a lawsuit even if they know they aren't wrong.

mjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020 Sedan; Previously VW Jetta SEL 2016 (auto); Civic EX Sedan 2009 (manual); Civic EX Coupe 2002 (manual)
Country flag
Personally - from a practical perspective, it may be cheaper to just pay the $500 and never go back there again.

The amount of time fighting, emotional stress, rentals, inconvenience without a car waiting for resolution.....$500 is cheaper.

It may not be "right" if they fucked you, but you may he better off resolving this quickly on a personal level.

Similar to people settling a lawsuit even if they know they aren't wrong.
Your logic is reasonable, and probably what I would ultimately do. What's really infuriating, though, is that is likely exactly what the dealer is counting on. They are squeezing an extra 500-1000 out of a guy because they can do the math and know that he'd have to spend at least that much on an independent inspection and an attorney to fight them on it. But given this seems so obviously a case of a cocked-up oil change I think it's reasonable to push back on them before waving the white flag. Threats to report them on every social media review site ("I took my car in for an oil change, the engine seized an hour later, and they refused to make it right") and Honda corporate might have at least a tiny bit of value in this day and age.

OP
OP

BlownSI

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI, 2014 Yamaha R6
Country flag
Update:

Talked to the rep at the dealer and basically once they saw metal shavings in the oil they stopped all work and contacted Honda America. They claim the oil was the proper amount and the oil job was done right. I want to believe them on this, so depending on how they treat me going forward I will give them the benefit of the doubt. They are prepared to replace the parts tommorrow and then will send in the motor to Honda for evaluation, whatever they plan on doing I have no idea.

The Rep said that because the engine was total loss he put in a request for a good will purchase for the parts and labor at 100% but Honda America rejected it and offered the 90% deal woth the 36,000 mi warrenty.

I keep getting the run around on who can extend a better deal, Honda America or the dealer.

I got a chance to speak with the mechanic and he said that the likely cause is the cam chain guide was faulty. That it could have caused the cam chain to fail resulting in the engine failure. I also asked how many 1.5L t engines failed that he has seen and he said 3, but under warrenty.

I basically have two options:

1. Let them work more on my engine, make a deal, and walk away with a working car and small extension on the warrenty.

Or...

2. Take back my car and hire a third party mechanic to look at why it failed.

I mentioned that oil change coincidense and they logically dismissed it as the cause since it had oil in it ( I have to trust them here). I also mentioned the extended warrenty ( they didnt know about it) and they confirmed my VIN has the warrenty, however whether or not it can be applied to my car it has to exhibit certain failures.

They were very nice and logical, but are likely tired of my concerns. I mentioned I was worried about the fact that I am at their mercy for extending the 90% offer that they could redact, but he gave me his word he would not.

So sorry guys I dont know why it failed, I dont know who can apply the extended 6 year warrenty, and I dont know what I should do. I am going to sleep on it.

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't understand, what's the point of having extended warranty if they're going to just flat out not honor it anyway? Do you have a copy of your warranty agreement? I'd love to take a look at the fine print

OP
OP

BlownSI

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI, 2014 Yamaha R6
Country flag
They offered a rental for a few days, now I am footing the bill for a week+.

Last edited:

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
They're covering 90% of the cost of an engine that failed after they changed the oil. They fucked up. No one offers 90% of something they had no part in causing just out of the kindness of their hearts. They need to be paying 100% of the costs. This isn't a Honda problem, this is a dealership problem.
Sponsored