2017 Si Driving Impressions and review - Turbo lag?

OP
OP

Psy-q

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 BRZ Spor-tech manual.
Sedans are in!

Put some gas into one of them. Just to make it clear: I really like the car, I don't understand why people think initial reviews are bad, mine was good.

Anyone who buys it will end up with an extremely refined sedan with loads of features and great bang for your buck.

The only thing that's missing is the old drama from the K series, that is gone. It was replaced by an economy L15B7 that has 3 things as priority:

Fuel Efficiency

Daily Driveability and "Torque"

Price and reliability.

I don't think words like "excitement" were used in the board room when they created the L15B engine. Aside from from occasional "PTSSTSTS" sound in 2nd gear it sounds pretty much like the 2.0 in the LX (Yes I mean it)

So this is what you get with 10th gen Si:

Refinement, refinement, refinement. Fuel efficiency, great seating position/shifter/clutch, amazing seats, loads of features. Great price, bang for your buck, reliability and resale value. Good ride, amazing handling and...boring motor with some torque.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Si Driving Impressions and review - Turbo lag? IMG_20170529_153257

What do you guys think of the coupe/sedan rear end differences? I like the bumper of the coupe and the spoiler of the sedan. Btw that spoiler in the coupe is kinda flimsy :-D

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Si Driving Impressions and review - Turbo lag? IMG_20170529_153333

Over and out.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Thank you! Perfect side by side between the two colors I wanted. Now I am 100% that I will be picking up a White Orchid Pearl Sedan!

Now that I look more carefully, you can see how the Hatchback has a really nice solid and dark hue while all the other sedan/coupes show off this weird purply shade look all in a line. Really wish the Polished Metal color was offered for the Si, but I'll be happy with White. Seriously time cannot move slow enough... all I think about is jumping in and driving this car around.

As for the sedan's rear vents on the bumper... I'm hoping they come out with aftermarket parts so we could swap that out. I think the only reason why people dislike the look is because it serves no function. The vents are completely blocked off and look a little cheesy. What do you guys think of vents that look sort of like this (with the horizontal slits).

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Si Driving Impressions and review - Turbo lag? 98706?$enlarged810x608$

Last edited:

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What do you guys think of the coupe/sedan rear end differences? I like the bumper of the coupe and the spoiler of the sedan. Btw that spoiler in the coupe is kinda flimsy :-D
They really screwed the pooch with the sedan's back bumper. It'd be beautiful if they just duplicated the coupe's or used that of the regular sedan. Those honeycombs look dumb on the hatch as well, but at least on the hatch they don't look completely out of place. That's really all I can think of to complain about for the Si. The chrome over the door windows can be blacked out, while an entire bumper is a bit harder to do anything with. I'm gonna get the sedan regardless; I'll just be disgusted when I see it from behind.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Agreed. I've nothing good to say about those fake vents on rear of the Si sedan, so let's leave it at that.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
They really screwed the pooch with the sedan's back bumper. It'd be beautiful if they just duplicated the coupe's or used that of the regular sedan. Those honeycombs look dumb on the hatch as well, but at least on the hatch they don't look completely out of place. That's really all I can think of to complain about for the Si. The chrome over the door windows can be blacked out, while an entire bumper is a bit harder to do anything with. I'm gonna get the sedan regardless; I'll just be disgusted when I see it from behind.
Maybe Honda designed it that way on purpose... So all the fools losing to you in a race can look at yo ugly ass!

Blacklude4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Prelude VTEC, 1990 Civic EX hatch, 2018 civic Si coupe
Country flag
Now that I look more carefully, you can see how the Hatchback has a really nice solid and dark hue while all the other sedan/coupes show off this weird purply shade look all in a line.
I 100% agree- I was really liking the modern steel color up until I saw it in person. It looks good, right up till the light hits it just right or it's sitting next to a true gray like it is in that picture. Just kills the warm fuzzy feeling when it turns purple:nono:

Joker33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 Wrangler, '03 Civic, '06 Mustang, '15 F150
I 100% agree- I was really liking the modern steel color up until I saw it in person. It looks good, right up till the light hits it just right or it's sitting next to a true gray like it is in that picture. Just kills the warm fuzzy feeling when it turns purple:nono:
I must be in the minority but I kind of like the modern steel. Not buying that color because for me it was either a red, white, or blue. Which I finally have settled on blue. But if the green had been on the sedan that was my first choice.

pukemon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 DBP Civic SI
Both the sedan and coupe kind of look like hulk smash then said just playing comparing to 9th gen.

dastanli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry, Tacoma
Country flag
Am I seeing things or are those LED headlights on that SI sedan???

tony4civics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatch ST, Toyota Camry
Country flag
VTEC 2.0! :(
Liked reading the review. I had a 2013 FR-S, loved that car but tooooo....impractical for my daily driver. Getting into it from my garage required too many contortions. But if there was ever a car for drifting that's the one. Only a person without legs could ever get into the back seat. I traded my 2007 Civic Si sedan for the purchase of the FR-S. I now have a 2017 Civic Hatch ST, love the car but not the CVT. I am going to test drive the Si and, if I like it enough, my wife might inherit the Hatch. :thumbsup:

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R
Well boys I just drove a 2017 Civic Si and I can say overall compared to my 2008 Si I am not impressed with the driving experience.

There is quite a bit of lag. 1st gear really only makes power from 3500rpm and onward. I revved it out to 6500rpm limiter and it was still making decent power so I didnt quite feel the power taper off as others have.

There is alot of rev hang. Traction control cannot be turned off. When shifting from 1-2 the car cuts power and dies. Not very inspiring or rewarding when compared to my 2008 Si.

The good thing is the car feels solid. Drives very well on the highway and is comfortable. The seats are awesome. It is very roomy.

A good commuter car, but I feel for a Si it should be alot more sporty and fun to drive. It just isnt IMO.

EDIT:
Overall its a good car. Go and test drive one and see how you guys feel. I think I am being a bit hard on it. But I can say if you do a Hondata tune, Stiffer motor mounts, wheels/tires/springs, it will really be on another level.

Pics

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Si Driving Impressions and review - Turbo lag? 20170602_153506_zpsqsujhifn

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Si Driving Impressions and review - Turbo lag? 20170602_153528_zpsmwjibivu

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Si Driving Impressions and review - Turbo lag? 20170602_153635_zpswnkvucbl

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Si Driving Impressions and review - Turbo lag? 20170602_161344_zpswzq7mo5h

Last edited: