2017 Si -> 2019 R & super happy

Jake Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2017 CR-V AWD Touring
Country flag
I enjoyed the Si, but always wished it were dialed up just a bit more, mostly in terms of handling. And I’m not a fan of the heavy flywheel & rev hang; rev matching was a job, not a joy.

I understand why they made some of the trade-offs from the previous gen (I drove a ‘13 for 4 years), but ultimately, I think they reduced the overall “sportiness” more than I’d have wished. It also bugged me that the difference between Sport and not is so subtle.

The R does not disappoint!

And it’s nice to be “back” in one again: I had a 2000 ITR & loved it until I made the mistake of driving my friend’s S2000. I subsequently owned a 2002 S & then a 2005.

Unfortunately, it’s a rainy day, but I am very happy with the handling (and the car in general) so far.

Went with PMM to balance the looks a bit. My wife thinks it’s too outrageous looking (mostly because I’m 46), but I think that’ll change once she drives it. ;). 11-year-old daughter loves it!
Sponsored

jhokie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Congratulations!!! The Type R is an amazing performance machine for the price!

I recently went from an SI to a WRX to a 2019 Type R. Luckily the SI and WRX held their value so well that my car swaps were cheaper than many people lease cars for.

Let me give you a word of warning. Those stock tires are very soft... be very careful until you use the tread and can swap to something else!!! I barely curbed a tire and the sidewall is gouged. Never damaged a tire so easily before in my life.

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Congrats! Picked the right color too. Went with PMM myself for same reason. It’s grown on me though.

If your wife is anything like mine driving it will make no difference.

OP
OP
Jake Speed

Jake Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2017 CR-V AWD Touring
Country flag
I’m hesitant to say this, given that I’ve only driven it in the rain/on wet roads, but I suspect this may be the best-handling car I’ve ever driven. And I’ve driven some really good cars (ITR, S2000, 135i w/Performance Suspension, 2013 Si w/Eibach Pro Kit Anti-Roll bars & springs, 2017 Si).

I finally feel like I’m not going to be wishing it felt flatter, firmer, etc. And yet amazingly compliant and comfortable; Honda engineers really outdid themselves!

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m hesitant to say this, given that I’ve only driven it in the rain/on wet roads, but I suspect this may be the best-handling car I’ve ever driven. And I’ve driven some really good cars (ITR, S2000, 135i w/Performance Suspension, 2013 Si w/Eibach Pro Kit Anti-Roll bars & springs, 2017 Si).

I finally feel like I’m not going to be wishing it felt flatter, firmer, etc. And yet amazingly compliant and comfortable; Honda engineers really outdid themselves!
I'm coming up close to 1 year of having the CTR and the handling bit is perfect to me and the occasional track day. I have no desire for upgraded RSB or to lower it. IMO, for the average owner, lowering is as aesthetic as it is functional. Absolutely nothing wrong with that as they look fantastic with 265/35 tires with proper offset rims, lowered slightly. Maybe if I just completely run out of areas to spend money on, I'll do it, but it's expensive to do once you factor in camber kits and such.

Either way, glad you're enjoying it. I just recently went to the track with mine and all that money I spent on mods and changes (aside from ones which help keep things cool) felt a bit of a waste. The car is exceptionally capable and fun right out of the box.

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
I enjoyed the Si, but always wished it were dialed up just a bit more, mostly in terms of handling. And I’m not a fan of the heavy flywheel & rev hang; rev matching was a job, not a joy.

I understand why they made some of the trade-offs from the previous gen (I drove a ‘13 for 4 years), but ultimately, I think they reduced the overall “sportiness” more than I’d have wished. It also bugged me that the difference between Sport and not is so subtle.

And it’s nice to be “back” in one again: I had a 2000 ITR & loved it until I made the mistake of driving my friend’s S2000. I subsequently owned a 2002 S & then a 2005.

Unfortunately, it’s a rainy day, but I am very happy with the handling (and the car in general) so far.

Went with PMM to balance the looks a bit. My wife thinks it’s too outrageous looking (mostly because I’m 46), but I think that’ll change once she drives it. ;). 11-year-old daughter loves it!
Congrats bro that's most of our's dream car on this forum!! And hey it's still a 10th gen Civic so we'll still keep you on here haha

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21399
Country flag
Congrats! I traded in my 17 Si Coupe for my 19 R. The only negatives I have are I'm spending more on gas, I need tires already, and I miss lane watch. Therefore, I regret nothing!

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
Congrats on the upgrade! I also approve of your color choice. Made the si to type r switch as well and have enjoyed almost every day since!

R-10552

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura RDX Aspec, 2019 Civic Si (wife's)
Country flag
Congrats on the upgrade! I'm almost 40 and I was a bit concerned about the appearance of the car when it was first revealed....but who cares! I love it and it's something I've been waiting for. I'm going to own this forever so I suspect I'll look even sillier driving it at 70....LOL

SDotLee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Congrats on the upgrade! I'm almost 40 and I was a bit concerned about the appearance of the car when it was first revealed....but who cares! I love it and it's something I've been waiting for. I'm going to own this forever so I suspect I'll look even sillier driving it at 70....LOL
Who cares what others think, do what makes you happy. If driving a Type R makes you happy, go for it! In the end, only true car enthusiasts will understand what we do and why we do it!

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Hell im 46 and i get in the car and act like im 17. I got subs, mods, wrap. If I remember correctly I dont need anyones approval to enjoy my life my way. I got mishimoto intake. Now I can drive by people all Rrrrr whhhooshhhhh. With turbo blow off. They all look. My girlfriend shakes her head and I giggle like someone told a fart joke.
You do you brother the hell with what people think.

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
Hell im 46 and i get in the car and act like im 17. I got subs, mods, wrap. If I remember correctly I dont need anyones approval to enjoy my life my way. I got mishimoto intake. Now I can drive by people all Rrrrr whhhooshhhhh. With turbo blow off. They all look. My girlfriend shakes her head and I giggle like someone told a fart joke.
You do you brother the hell with what people think.
This!

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag

Congratulations, I wanna do the same exact thing in a couple of years lol
Sponsored