2017 Rumor: Side view camera to be replaced with blind spot warning system.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And a lot of people (including me) wonder why there is no Lane Watch for the left side of the vehicle. I'm guessing because it's counter-intuitive to look right when you want to turn left? Also, could simply be that most lane change accidents occur when he car is moving to the right due to the decreased visibility. Honda just didn't want to make the car ($200) more expensive or whatever. That's money they can either save or knock down from the MSRP of the car, since the value added is so minimal.
I think that is one of the biggest reasons. Even though i find it harder to look over my left shoulder (due to neck and shoulder injuries from the past). Blind spot monitoring would have been great with this Civic, and they should have brought it with the Lane Watch camera. Hopefully if they do re-design it, maybe there will be a way to retrofit it into our 2016's.

On the left mirror, they have that one part of it that's supposed to act like a blind spot mirror (I think). Does anybody else find that to be completely useless? It just looks like a normal blurred mirror to me, and it was like that on my 2013 Accord EX-L as well.
Sponsored

D Money

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think that is one of the biggest reasons. Even though i find it harder to look over my left shoulder (due to neck and shoulder injuries from the past). Blind spot monitoring would have been great with this Civic, and they should have brought it with the Lane Watch camera. Hopefully if they do re-design it, maybe there will be a way to retrofit it into our 2016's.

On the left mirror, they have that one part of it that's supposed to act like a blind spot mirror (I think). Does anybody else find that to be completely useless? It just looks like a normal blurred mirror to me, and it was like that on my 2013 Accord EX-L as well.
That weird part doesn't even show my blind spot. It's like panoramic to see far lanes for whatever reason

lmoore1436

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX BNP
I may be in the minority but I prefer lanewatch over a blind spot monitor on the right side. Why? I just turn it on and I can see what's there. There's no guessing.
Sure, the BSW will tell/alert you but it's not fool proof. If a car is coming in too fast or abruptly changes lanes, it may not detect it. On the other hand, lanewatch will show you so you can use your own brain to judge if it's safe to change lanes or turn.

It's a feature all Acuras should also have.

edit: I should add that I've had lanewatch in my Accord since 2013. I also use it in a 2014 Civic. The civic lanewatch is clearer than the Accord (due to the LCD screen). But they both are useful. It's a feature I miss in any car I hop into that doesn't have it.
The only downside is that when it rains it can blur the camera. It doesn't always happen, only when the water gets right on the lense. I haven't tried putting aquapel or RainX on it but I may try that in the future. And at night it's not the best but it's by no means terrible. Very useful feature and I applaud Honda for introducing it.
I love the lanewatch camera too, over the past few months I can't imagine driving without it anymore. That being said, there are instances where it is pretty useless (mostly at night on dark roads and dimly lit highways). It also has caused me to have a habit of looking at the screen even when I'm changing lanes to the left, but I quickly realize that it's not there haha

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
Honda did a lot of little things to shave cost off the 2016 Civic. It's not bad but after 1000+ miles you start figuring it out. I'm 1600 miles in and I'm glad I leased the car. I don't think I'm going to keep it. The rough edges of the first year redesign come through... Poor fuel economy on the 2.0L, transmission not always smooth (non turbo), ACC too twitchy, Android Auto music playback skips, rear window fogging over, frequent gas spills with the capless system. I'm fairly sure they also cost cut on the AC unit as it seems a bit undersized for the Civic's cabin. They
That weird part doesn't even show my blind spot. It's like panoramic to see far lanes for whatever reason
Yeah that and lane watch were Honda's way of cheaping out of a true BSM system.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda did a lot of little things to shave cost off the 2016 Civic. It's not bad but after 1000+ miles you start figuring it out. I'm 1600 miles in and I'm glad I leased the car. I don't think I'm going to keep it. The rough edges of the first year redesign come through... Poor fuel economy on the 2.0L, transmission not always smooth (non turbo), ACC too twitchy, Android Auto music playback skips, rear window fogging over, frequent gas spills with the capless system. I'm fairly sure they also cost cut on the AC unit as it seems a bit undersized for the Civic's cabin.
That's one reason why i'm glad I went for the Turbo. Too many issues surfacing on the NA 2.0L.

My Android Auto has issues too. When using spotify, sometimes it just randomly crashes and screws up the music, or it won't skip to the next track, or it displays the same song that was played, even after playing 5 other songs. Also, every time I touch the screen to see a message or to listen, the scren jsut constantly blinks and the AA just freezes up. All of these issues I have to unplug my phone and plug it back in, which is annoying as hell.

Back on topic though, regarding the left mirror, I'm going to toy with it today and see if I can make use of that "panoramic" feature.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
All you need out of that blind spot mirror is to see the presence of SOMETHING. Doesn't matter how detailed it looks, if there's something there, hold your lane change...

D Money

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All you need out of that blind spot mirror is to see the presence of SOMETHING. Doesn't matter how detailed it looks, if there's something there, hold your lane change...
Or just look the old fashioned way if it bothers you so much

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
I love the lanewatch, once I used it on the CRV, it was something I needed...when on the highway, I usually leave it on, I find it is easier to see cars coming up on the right...probably preference, but its good enough for me....I also feel that the rear cameras are so wide angle, I don't need the sensors in the back

leodan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ex-L
Country flag
I give it a big plus. This screen for the right lane is awesome. Night vision is the limit. But for daytime it is one of the greatest features.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
You shouldn't be looking at your center console when changing lanes. The blind spot warnings are in the best possible location - on your mirror where you're already looking at that time. And as many people say, if you have your mirrors set correctly, lanewatch is pointless since it's showing the same view as your mirror.
Whether lanewatch is really helpful or not, don't think that Honda cares much. To them, it's is a marketing gimmick.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...acting-unnecessary----and-an-opportunity-for-

cycledrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Accord sedan 4 cyl
Not really, I can see people becoming lazy and not looking over their shoulders at all, not that most do now.

The problem with the camera is you're spending too much time looking at the screen, versus glancing over your shoulder...
Ok, but where LaneWatch can really help is when your (freeway) lane has stopped traffic ahead and next lane to right (exit lane) is clear and traffic moving by. You're trying to change lanes to the right and not hit someone ahead in your lane. This is very tricky situation and happens sometimes in SF Bay Area.
LaneWatch can give you that view of lanes to right (looking forward at screen while seeing stopped traffic ahead in your lane).

I almost got smacked a couple years ago from a car whizzing from a freeway entrance land left into the lane I was trying to merge right in to. Wish I would have had LaneWatch that day.

cycledrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Accord sedan 4 cyl
You shouldn't be looking at your center console when changing lanes. The blind spot warnings are in the best possible location - on your mirror where you're already looking at that time. And as many people say, if you have your mirrors set correctly, lanewatch is pointless since it's showing the same view as your mirror.
Whether lanewatch is really helpful or not, don't think that Honda cares much. To them, it's is a marketing gimmick.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...acting-unnecessary----and-an-opportunity-for-
LaneWatch gives a WIDE ANGLE view to right of your car out to the side and far back. It shows much more than a side view mirror does.

I don't buy that lady's emphasis on 'setting your mirrors properly'.. yeah, adjusting the mirrors out a bit shows somewhat more of blind spot, but it doesn't show nearly as much as LaneWatch camera does.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
LaneWatch is extremely helpful particularly in heavy traffic and I need to switch lanes. I like to manually activate it where I can see very clearly with a wider view if I can make a switch into an open lane. The guidelines also help me determine if making that change is safe. It takes me less time to use LaneWatch and I don't have to swing my attention away from what's happening in front of me as much as well.

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
Lane watch is useful when parallel parking or pulling into a tight parking spot. When manually activated the Lane Watch camera even shows when you are in reverse.
Sponsored