2017 LX vs EX-T engine observations

OP
OP
jacksmash

jacksmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan LX 2017 (white), Civic Coupe EX-T 2017 (Energy Green)
Try to have brake hold on when you are at dead stops and see if it is better from stop to 1st.
Not sure I really notice much of a difference. I think I notice a slight difference when I have traction control off... but it's hard to say for sure. And I always have Econ off (never use it).
Sponsored

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
Not sure I really notice much of a difference. I think I notice a slight difference when I have traction control off... but it's hard to say for sure. And I always have Econ off (never use it).
I just changed the oil and the stock honda oil isn't as fun as some of the ultra high synthetics but then again, I'm not putting unnecessary additives in there.

motoguy128

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
We own a 2017 LX Sedan (6MT) and a 2017 Ex-T Coupe (6MT). The EX-T has the Turbo engine. I wanted to mention a couple of things I've noticed to see if you all think I'm nuts:

1. With the same style of driving, I find I have an easier time getting better gas mileage with the Turbo over the non-Turbo engine. Is this expected? (I would have guessed the opposite.)

2. Although the Turbo definitely has more torque, I find the non-Turbo to have a bit more kick when going from dead stop to 1st. I find I have to give the Turbo more gas in this case (and I don't like applying gas while shifting as it is).

Any thoughts?
Are the final drive ratios the same? I assume the gearbox is identical for cost reasons. 2.0 could have shorter final drive since it revs higher and makes less torque on the bottom. Might also have more flywheel mass on the 1.5 as well. Rev up a turbo too quickly and the lag gets worse as it's "chasing" itself.

Some of the turbo "lag" could also be some throttle input overrides and fueling tweaks to keep the turbo running efficiently and clean up emissions. Remember, these cars are fly by wire. You are merely asking the ECU if you could please have more power. The response occurs in a couple thousands of a second so it's not noticeable, but the ECU will at times tweak throttle response similar to using ECO mode.

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
Unless engaging the turbo on a regular basis, the 1.5L is more fuel efficient than the 2.0L.
This is a real noob question but I am not much of a car person. When you talk about engaging the turbo, do you just mean basically gunning it from 0 to whatever regularly? Is it an automatic process? Guess I'm still stuck in the "Gone in 60 seconds" mind set where he had to hit the "Turbo" switch to get Eleanor to take off to "race speeds"

motoguy128

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
This is a real noob question but I am not much of a car person. When you talk about engaging the turbo, do you just mean basically gunning it from 0 to whatever regularly? Is it an automatic process? Guess I'm still stuck in the "Gone in 60 seconds" mind set where he had to hit the "Turbo" switch to get Eleanor to take off to "race speeds"
The turbo is always "engaged". All exhaust gases go through the one side of the turbine and the intake air always passes through on the other side. But at low RPM's and low load, the intake is under vacuum and exhaust pressure is fairly low, so the turbine isn't spinning very fast. However the back-pressure it creates helps low end performance.

Turbo are therefore very effective because not only can you effectively get sort of a variable displacement and a variable compression ratio engine, you are generating that additional energy by recovering waste heat from the exhaust.

Further, unless you have 2 turbochargers or one with variable pitch, you have to choose to optimize the size and design of the impeller for the ideal range of exhaust gas velocity and volume. IF you design more to top end, you lose bottom end. Also, because it creates and exhaust restriction, you lose top end torque with a turbo, but you get that back with the lower compression ratio at low RPM.

Maypep_Necro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016
My computer only shows around 200 km aswell when I fill up but it's pretty much because I shift near redline everytime. average 9.5 km/100

Kinetis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
We own a 2017 LX Sedan (6MT) and a 2017 Ex-T Coupe (6MT). The EX-T has the Turbo engine. I wanted to mention a couple of things I've noticed to see if you all think I'm nuts:

1. With the same style of driving, I find I have an easier time getting better gas mileage with the Turbo over the non-Turbo engine. Is this expected? (I would have guessed the opposite.)

2. Although the Turbo definitely has more torque, I find the non-Turbo to have a bit more kick when going from dead stop to 1st. I find I have to give the Turbo more gas in this case (and I don't like applying gas while shifting as it is).

Any thoughts?

When you are not accelerating hard, the turbo engine is essentially a 1.5 litre engine. So if you are doing a lot of cruising, the turbo engine has half a litre less displacement to combust.

It is a similar case if you are starting from a dead stop with a conservative launch (under 2000rpm), the boost hasn't built up yet in the turbo car, so it has the torque of a non-turbo 1.5 litre compared to a 2.0 litre non-turbo. Only when your are on the boost, does the turbo car make the advertised torque numbers.

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
Yeah 2.0L is crap on gas mileage, even worse than the official numbers, especially on city driving.
Also, coming from a dead stop, assuming you are accelerating normally and not stomping it, think of your engine as just being 1.5L without the turbo. You will get less power than a 2.0L.
I very much regret getting the 2.0L, I want better gas mileage and prefer a more gentle acceleration from a stop.
It's going back at lease end, for this and other reasons. (2.0L CVT is crap, stock tires are crap, keeps going out of alignment)

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
Yeah 2.0L is crap on gas mileage, even worse than the official numbers, especially on city driving.
Also, coming from a dead stop, assuming you are accelerating normally and not stomping it, think of your engine as just being 1.5L without the turbo. You will get less power than a 2.0L.
I very much regret getting the 2.0L, I want better gas mileage and prefer a more gentle acceleration from a stop.
It's going back at lease end, for this and other reasons. (2.0L CVT is crap, stock tires are crap, keeps going out of alignment)
I know dude, I was underwhelmed during the test drive. I would rather have a 1.5 even if all it gives me is good alignment and tires stay well. In 3 months of driving, only lost 2 psi on 2 tires, no nail magnet here either and alignment is rock solid. Better chassis with the hatch must be the reason. so glad i didn't get the sedan.

Last edited:

CobraCommand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Canadian Civic LX Hatchback, formerly 2017 Canadian Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
Weird, I'm getting 33.9 US mpg with 95% city rush hour driving with my 2.0 CVT Sedan. I never use econ but only occasionally use air con. While I'm not the type of guy to rocket from red light to red light I'm also far from light footed haha.

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
Weird, I'm getting 33.9 US mpg with 95% city rush hour driving with my 2.0 CVT Sedan. I never use econ but only occasionally use air con. While I'm not the type of guy to rocket from red light to red light I'm also far from light footed haha.
In my 2.0L, if I drive constantly aware of my mpg I can get 34 combined. It's a drag to have to focus that hard to hit advertised mpg. Yes I know advertised mpg depends on a lot of variables but if I am intentionally being gas conscious with my driving it shouldn't be that hard to hit. I'm not a racer, or even an aggressive driver.
I've given up and just try to enjoy my driving now; it's not worth the constant vigilance. My combined mpg is 29-32 depending on a lot of things.
Like has already been mentioned in this thread, 2.0L is too big to be economical with city and traffic driving. The future for ICE cars is little turbos like the 1.5T in the EX-T or the 1.4T in my wife's Jetta S.
Still burns my britches that Honda rates the 2.0L and 1.5T almost the same with city mpg. It's false advertising. The city mpg is pretty much my combined mpg with the 2.0L. Someone ought to start a class action about this.

motoguy128

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
In my 2.0L, if I drive constantly aware of my mpg I can get 34 combined. It's a drag to have to focus that hard to hit advertised mpg. Yes I know advertised mpg depends on a lot of variables but if I am intentionally being gas conscious with my driving it shouldn't be that hard to hit. I'm not a racer, or even an aggressive driver.
I've given up and just try to enjoy my driving now; it's not worth the constant vigilance. My combined mpg is 29-32 depending on a lot of things.
Like has already been mentioned in this thread, 2.0L is too big to be economical with city and traffic driving. The future for ICE cars is little turbos like the 1.5T in the EX-T or the 1.4T in my wife's Jetta S.
Still burns my britches that Honda rates the 2.0L and 1.5T almost the same with city mpg. It's false advertising. The city mpg is pretty much my combined mpg with the 2.0L. Someone ought to start a class action about this.
Ratings are only intended for comparison to other vehicles and only represent what mileage you might get if your driving conditions are similar to the testing. There are so many variables it won't even try to list them.

As for my experience, I get 30mpg even on short trips and 38-48 hwy depending on speed and wind conditions in my 1.5t. In comparison my BMW 3.0 got 20 and 28-32 in the same conditions.

Kinetis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
The switch on Eleanor was a Nitrous switch, so that's a whole different story. :)
Sponsored